cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgruntled and most probably soon to be an ex-plusnet customer.

Hemme

Disgruntled and most probably soon to be an ex-plusnet customer.

I placed my order on the 5th of December. I was 'guaranteed' my services (Unwanted phone line but necessary evil.) would be in working order within 7-14 days with the router arriving within 7.
My router did not arive for 2+ weeks, originally finding out that after a week that my router hadn't been ordered despite payment being taken. Once it did arrive I then found out that the engineer was schduled for the 06/01/10, I wrangled with a CSA who was polite and helpful and had my line installed on the 23/12/09 but was told by said engineer that my broadband purchase order was not raised afterwhich phoning the CSA line once again, told me was standard proceedure. (Why?)
Furthermore I received no e-mails or letters in regards to my 'purchase' and seemingly felt/was left out in the cold. My broadband activated on the 28/12/09 and I had to once again phone the CSA line as the router would not take the information I had been supplied by yourselves. I then find out through another helpful CSA that all my information was wrong and was given the right information. I sucessfully connected to the internet and I am now here to 'rant and rave'.
As of the 01/01/10 I have used around 2gb of my 'allowance' in around 3/4 days. I used less than a gb a month using an overpriced dongle doing exactly the same things (Facebook/Youtube, usual websites.), I also never asked for the base package but was put on it as Plusnet needed to check 'line speeds'. To be honest apart from the helpful CSA advisors (Who I had to call.) Plusnet is nothing more than a scam and sham in my eyes. Of course I am pleased that I am on the internet but feel nothing but ripped off and disheartend by Plusnet's overall performance. I will continue to monitor the current situation, I expect nothing will change and then I will be charged for leaving plusnet. (Which at this moment, will happily pay with glee.)
I do not wish to demonise Plusnet but I (As many other may have been/feel.) feel that the service provided is nothing short of shoddy and is designed to fill their boots in as easiest and quickest way possible. The only redeeming feature experienced with Plusnet is helpful CSA's to which I had to dial the 0845 number in order to speak to. (Thus making Plusnet more money in the process.) Please (Whomever you may be.) DO NOT apologise on behalf of Plusnet as it will only be an empty one.
Regards
Disgruntled & Upset 'customer'
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Disgruntled and most probably soon to be an ex-plusnet customer.

Oh Well,  Welcome to the Forums.
Your line speed has a training period that can take up to 10 days, that is a BT thing, not PN.
Dont know about you usage, seems a bit much for a couple of days, Is that total, or peak use?  I assume you have been looking at the Usage part of the member centre.https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php  on that there is  a view internet activities button that attempts to split down your types of usage, not very accurate though
What do you mean by the base package?  there are three,  Value with 10g on peak, Premire with 80G on peak and Pro at 20 G  they all have different usage speed, see http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm for a useful chart
Galdere
Grafter

I have had many problems with PN\Openreach, but I have to say you cannot hold them responsible for the amount you download.
Youtube etc, and things you don't even realise about, can use a lot of bandwidth. Just because you think you are using the same amount as you usually do, does not mean you actually are.
Get your own monitoring program if you want to be fully aware. There is nothing wrong with PN in this respect, or you would see us all complaining about it immediately on here.
As for being put on a basic package to "check line speeds", I think you are confused about the reasons. PN would not pass up the opportunity to make more money out of you.
The conversation may have gone something like, "what sort of speed should I get?" "Well we won't know that for sure until you are connected, but I can start you on the basic package until then"
ie what would be the point in you paying for a large allowance if your line speed wouldn't allow you to make use of it?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hemme,
I've had a look at the account and can't see anything untoward - the majority of your usage is showing as web traffic which includes most downloads done from websites. Nothing looks wrong as such, is there anything in particular we can look into for you?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you using any anti-virus software that pre-fetches and checks all the links on a page - even if you don't then view them?
Are you using the Firefox Fasterfox extension or anything similar which pre-fetches all linked pages so that they load faster?
Both of these would drastically increase your usage and may have more impact on a faster connection (on a slower connection it might not have completed checking/loading all the links before you moved on to another page).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)