cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discount on Home Phone line rental for broadband customers

aedwards
Dabbler

Discount on Home Phone line rental for broadband customers

Here's an idea - give a discount on the Home Phone line rental for existing broadband customers.
Another idea is to have a really basic line rental with nothing included, for people who only have an analogue line because you have to have one for ADSL.  You could then include that with higher broadband tariffs instead of the 4 hours of broadband phone.
Alan.
18 REPLIES 18
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Discount on Home Phone line rental for broadband customers

Home Phone customers dont pay any line rental, BT phone users do, so that means you get 100% discount  Cool Roll_eyes Smiley Wink Crazy
paulby
Grafter

Not quite pierre_pierre.
Home Phone users pay their line rental to PN *instead* of paying it to BT retail.  In other words, you pay £9.99 to PN for line rental and get the evening and weekends call package included or the Anytime+ package for £5.01.  Legacy Anytime would be the same, i.e. £9.99 for line rental and £0 for the calls package.
PN still have to pay Openreach for the rental of your line in the same way as BT retail do (it's called WLR - Wholesale Line Rental).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what I pay to PN for my home phone is less than I would pay to BT just for rental, and I get 240 mins of free calls an the package I am on. 
and from this page http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/home/index.shtml?resheader=phonecallstab ; see below
paulby
Grafter

Yes... but you still pay line rental to PN and not BT.  It's just that the line rental is cheaper than BT's and includes a call package - in your case 240 inclusive minutes.
From the page you linked to
It's not just convenient, it's also really good value with line rental and calls starting at just £9.99 a month.
Or, another way, the product subsciption includes the line rental.
Either way, it's stll cheaper than BT Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this is PN's own chart from that page
paulby
Grafter

I think we're saying the same thing here.
PN's product subscription includes your line rental and is cheaper than BT!
If not, let's just agree to disagree - it's still better value than BT!
mal0z
Grafter

That chart is out of date - several firms have amended prices in September, including BT, Onetel ( TalkTalk )
Not applicable

Well, it is an idea but I have to say that as a Homephone Anytime+ user I consider it good value for money, even though I am not an overly heavy user of the telephone. However, I would probably be better served by going back to the 1000 minutes call limit and pay something in the region of £12-£13. When it was restricted I never went anywhere near the limit as generally my calls tend to be fairly brief.
The new Essentials package is the other way round i.e. cheaper broadband subsidised by the line rental+calls.
I think that it is extremely unlikely that PN could reduce prices in this way as we were told that profit margins are tight and after all they are in the business of making money. T
scootie
Grafter

yep bt changed there line rental and package charges awhile ago. was not impressed thoe as the first part of the letter was saying line rental will be a pound cheaper. then the next part of the letter was saying the eveing and weekend package is going up a pound. what a joke all that and still the same price in the first place. haha BT keeps impressing me with there stupidity.
just hope they dont impress me again today as i saw them replacing a tele pole at the end of my street. would'nt surpise me if my connection starts playing up even thoe its not my pole im wired to.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Poppy
I am a legacy product 240 any time cost £9.99 a month.  earlier on this year Mand was offerng to put people on that manually, if your usuage is low it might be worth PM Mand and asking
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I tried that, but didn't get a reply
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Mand
Grafter

Apologies if I missed your PM Maranello (I've just had a quick look but can't find any).
In any case, it is possible to do this, but as it's a manual process it can take a while. If you're happy with that raise a ticket on your account for my attention and I will get straight onto it for you.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks Mand. PM was sent 20th August. But I will do as you suggest and raise a ticket
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Mand
Grafter

It's easy enough to get done, but the ticket is for accountability. As the product is officially no longer available Wink it's good to keep a record of what's happening on the account for your sake (and mine :D) in the future.