cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delays for new customers - warning?

Sgwilkinson

Delays for new customers - warning?

As a new customer who paid a 50 quid installation fee it's taking two and a half WEEKS to setup broadband from time the line was activated. Please please please warn people, I terminated my old supplier not realising broadband wouldn't be available at the same time the line was installed. Why does it take so long?
9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Delays for new customers - warning?

Because you terminated your old supplier, it is always better just to go to your new provider and let thm do it all, that way it usually goes much more seamlessly.

Sgwilkinson

I'm coming from Virgin, perhaps that explains it. That contract ended Monday, and the new plusnet line went in the same day. I wasn't expecting two weeks delay getting broadband enabled on the new line.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry for the delay you've experienced.

As we've had to install a new line to your property this can take longer than normal depending on engineer availability.

I can see it's now active and we've placed your order for fibre broadband which is due to complete on the 30th.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@MatthewWheeler, I don't think the problem is with the delay in installing the line, people are advised of that shortly after placing the order I guess. The problem appears to be that people are expecting (rightly or wrongly) the broadband to be activated at the same time as the line is installed and that expectation does not appear to be managed correctly by PlusNet. I assume that, unlike ADSL, SIM provides are not possible for Fibre installs since BT need to update the records on Fibre availability before an order can be placed, and that can only happen once the line is actually installed, am I correct ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sim provides are possible on FTTC if the line is already active and has the correct records in place, as you suggest the longer timescales arise when the phone order is a NLI (New Line Install) and needs records updating to show fibre availability.

The communication around this isn't the greatest at the moment and is something I'd really like us to improve.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Given how long your team has been feeding back on the upgrade to FTTC email misleading people by saying the account change is complete when the actual fibre install is a couple of weeks away I suppose in three or four years time you might have this communication improved!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Sgwilkinson

This is exactly it. There was a long lead time between the initial order (15th Oct) and an engineer installing the new line (14th Nov), which I was aware of and planned for. I incorrectly assumed that broadband would be available at the same time the line was installed, or at least within a couple of days.

The confirmation email confirmation had, "An engineer is due to activate your Home Phone service on 14/11/2016, AM". An extra, "Please be aware that broadband services may not be available until several weeks later", would help!

The line went active on the 14th November but broadband service won't be available until midnight on the 1st of December. This is the frustrating part.

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

When I moved into my current property the landlady had plus.net broadband, so I thought it would be quicker and more convenient to stick with PN and swap the account over, when I rang up, they couldn't swap the account name etc so had to cancel the old one and go through the process, they cancelled the old one immediately on the call (which was a pain), and said I had to wait 10 days. Needless to say it was over 30 days before I had any broadband Sad Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

DaveSparz
Hooked

I am having exactly the same problem with a house move. Had a line installed by PN at my new property (which was previously on SKY, I think) but then told the BB order needed to be placed. That didn't happen for days, and I as yet do not even HAVE an install date, a week on from the line install.

"We can confirm that the date for activation of services at the new premises is 19/01/17 AM please ensure someone is at the premises to allow access for the engineer. If this is not the date you requested then our suppliers have not been able to meet that date and have committed for the next best available date. If you are not able to make this please contact us at least 48 hours before the date and we will look to amend this for you."

Note the plural on services.

It is, at best, misleading - but the communications and clarity from PN is absolutely appalling.