Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous default re rDNS

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Dangerous default re rDNS

Hi there,
Really sorry about that - I've fed back to the agent directly and he's picking it up again now. The change should be made for you shortly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, apologies - the domain may resolve to that IP but you've not got an A record set up which is why the rDNS is failing. If you could get that added via your domain control panel we can get it sorted for you.
gordonsuk
Grafter

Not sure what's going on here. But feel free to check again, have confirmed an A record does exist.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

An A record exists for the root of the domain, the issue is the CNAME record that's pointing mail.domain to the IP the root domain points to. If this is swapped for an A record (as per Bob's response to you on your ticket) we'll be able to make the change for you - though unfortunately we'll need to wait for DNS propagation before it's picked up.
Hope that helps explain.
gordonsuk
Grafter

Thanks guys -Hopefully the update will not take to long.
rja
Grafter

I agree that this is an unnecessary security issue and I'd like to get the rDNS records changed for my static account. Reading the past few posts though it sounds as though Support may not be quite up to speed on what needs to be done. Can someone from Plusnet please spell out for me precisely what I should ask for in the ticket I raise in order to get this done reliably.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Regarding the above, the issue was down to the domain records - we can't update the rDNS to point to a domain if the records aren't in place to direct queries correctly.
gordonsuk
Grafter

Thanks for the quick work today guys. Host records were wrongly updated - this was corrected fairly quickly - so hopefully propagation should not take long.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt
Sorry for the delay in response. I believe it's ten, and then all attempts are blocked and our networks security team are notified directly.

Thanks Matt :). That does help a little re password cracking.
I did get in a mess a couple of days ago, after changing my password to a considerably more complex one, and must have done at least half-a-dozen wrong entries before going the "Forgotten password" route. As that came back with what I expected, then worked first time,  it must just have been typos.
That's why I asked though, as I find the norm is three attempts. So I wondered if it was unlimited, which would have been very worrying.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@gordonsuk - The rDNS has now been updated for you, again we may need to wait for DNS records to propagate but that shouldn't take too long (and any queries across our network should be somewhat faster Smiley )
@Estragon - Glad it's reassured you, thanks Smiley
racquel
Grafter

Christ on a flaming bike; I am absolutely hopping steaming mad right now.  I mean OFCOM-angry, and I don't think I'll be calmer by the morning.
Remember back in January last year when o2 were accidentally sending the user's phone number as part of the web header for just a few hours? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16725531
Although it was a mistake by o2, it was totally unacceptable and they went frantic to fix it.
But It appear not only do Plusnet seem to know about this, they don't even seem in any hurry to put a fix in. If anything, this situation is worse.
I discovered this purely by chance, just looking to see what incoming connections there were on my server. And there was my partner's name in full, FFS! Otherwise, I'd have had no clue this was happening.
All this because I got a static IP - at NO point was there ANY warning about this when I opted for a static IP. It should be massive, red, flashing letters in 50 point font warning that your name will be splattered all over the web, until this can get fixed.
The first person I spoke to (Jordan) said it wasn't my static IP and that switching back to dynamic wouldn't help, but the second (Louis) said it would, and switched me straight back to dynamic.
I simply can't believe someone allowed a system to operate like this - I'll certainly be asking for my fiver back and one hell of an explanation is due.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just raise a ticket to request the static IP rDNS be changed to an IP based one (once you have a static IP again).
David
racquel
Grafter

Great, just been charged ANOTHER £5. Un-be-fucking-lievable.
jim:quote
jim:red avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Deleted - I should have read the earlier post