cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers failing

nigel1971
Grafter

Re: DNS servers failing

Still not perfect even though it's coming back, ping has gone up and sluggish even after a router reboot.
WTF
Grafter

Are the issues with the regular PlusNet DNS resolved, then?
Like most others, I switched to Google's 8.8.8.8 server but apparently that can be flakey so I'd like to switch back to auto if the issues are resolved.
emtee
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
Just got a service status up. The issues were impacting our ability to get the status up.

Where is the joined-up thinking or professional business continuity planning here?
Common sense says that you don't just host your service-status on your own system because if it fails, customers are in the dark. It would cost very little to have a backup - even if it's just the ability to get a simple message up on a server that has no reliance whatsoever on your core systems.

racquel
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
Like most others, I switched to Google's 8.8.8.8 server but apparently that can be flakey

Source?
Boodz85
Grafter

Are the issues with the regular PlusNet DNS resolved, then?
Like most others, I switched to Google's 8.8.8.8 server but apparently that can be flakey so I'd like to switch back to auto if the issues are resolved.

im on the normal DNS from plusnet and all seems to be working fine now
aledlewis1
Dabbler

Just to add a 'me too', I had these problems this morning. Didn't have time to tinker and redirect to Google DNS.
I've had a flick through this thread and the forum in general and apart from the revelation that this also impacted the ability to update the service status page (which I can't seem to load), I can't see much response from plusnet. Does anyone know the latest?
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

im on default settings with plusnet and things are improving but not 100% yet
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: emtee
Common sense says that you don't just host your service-status on your own system because if it fails, customers are in the dark.

To be fair to PN, most companies fall back on social media in such circumstances these days, and it's actually a very good way of handling the scenario.
I agree with the general sentiment on here though; lessons clearly need to be learned as at time of writing there's been only one single  tweet 40 minutes ago on an issue that appeared more than 8 hours ago?Huh
https://twitter.com/Plusnet
darklight
Grafter

Can't get to plusnet staus page at all with google dns 8.8.8.8 just times out.
Tigger
Rising Star

Problems started some 9 hours ago here.
ZERO response from Plusnet until recently.
Taking down residential overnight support = BIG mistake
But Business support would have been in, and must have known something was wrong, yet no posts anywhere. Not service status, this forum, or Facebook, all of which were accessible to us throughout.
And we are paying MORE this year for Plusnet residential, and yet getting less support. This is the sort of behaviour I would expect from BT or Orange, but not from Plusnet.
Done us proud?? NOT THIS TIME  Angry Angry Angry
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Taking down residential overnight support = BIGGEST mistake ever!
Thinking about it......what IF DNS Server went down on Xmas Day and no fix until New Year's? That's would make everyones ANGRY!
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have Plusnet said that residential support is closed between Christmas ans New Year? I don't think so.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
Thinking about it......what IF DNS Server went down on Xmas Day and no fix until New Year's? That's would make everyones ANGRY!

Where does this come from?!  Huh
They will have 24hr engineers and system admins. What makes you think the telephone support hour changes would affect their on-site engineer/system admin staff?
artificer
Grafter

looks like it's back to business as usual.  well done engineers.  all my sites are back up and running.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: racquel
Like most others, I switched to Google's 8.8.8.8 server but apparently that can be flakey

Source?

Another post I saw on this thread (or maybe another related thread on here).
I don't think all the problems are resolved, though: I'm now getting timeouts connecting to www.plus.net - earlier I couldn't get to the support or community pages.