cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer loyalty means NOTHING to PlusNet :(

w0wn0w
Grafter

Re: Customer loyalty means NOTHING to PlusNet :(

I have no clue why I haven't received any mails. On my mail server I have a setting that messages even with high spam score get through if they have my name in it. Other spam goes to device null.
So what do you think, can PN handle 3 hours of iPlayer a day (not after midnight) without me getting under stress all the time? Just wondering...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too use iPlayer for 2-3 hours per day, on my legacy 15GB BBYW-Opt2 package, BUT I use the iPlayer preferences to schedule downloads between midnight and 06:59 (as shown at the bottom of the following screengrab) - during the Plusnet free download period.  Therefore I rarely watch live streaming TV but watch next day (or later) at a time that suits me - rather than having to stop what I am doing to watch a program when it happens to be being broadcast, WITHOUT having ANY impact on my monthly broadband download allowance.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just  did a quick check and streaming HD on iPlayer seems to use about 3,500kbps so on that basis 3 hours would use about 4.5GB which would knock a big hole in the 60GB allowance
Alternatively if you watch a normal channel then the usage would be about 1.2GB in 3 hours which is fine on a 60GB allowance (36GB per month) just don't watch live on HD  Sad
w0wn0w
Grafter

No HD then  Sad
@purleigh I'll talk to the little one about next day  Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Others have responded to your suggestion that Orange offering you more of the same at unchanged cost is equivalent to Plusnet unilaterally moving you to a differently structured product but with increased allowance - it isn't.
You can find out which Market your exchange is on by entering your phone number into the Samknows Exchange search tool. That will also tell you if 21CN/ADSL2+ is available in your exchange.
In any case with the requirements you've mentioned my opinion is that requesting an upgrade to Plusnet Extra would be beneficial for you - reduced cost and increased allowance. You can request this on the Member Centre Product Change link at the top of the Member Centre page. This upgrade would take effect on your next billing date.
David
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

@w0wn0w -
My children use iPlayer to do a 'series record', then download a whole weeks worth of programmes overnight on Friday, then at the weekend watch in non-real time several episodes back to back.
This has additional benefits such as showing each other (or friends) something funny (or whatever) again and again WITHOUT re-live-streaming it because it is already downloaded.
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBC iPlayer, I download with prefs set for overnight....
One hour HD downloaded approx 1.1gb
One hour SD downloaded approx 660mb

I over-ride prefs to download latest updates flagged on RSS feed pre 8am
1gb HD seems to take around 10 minutes to download, for me.
Though generally I am downloading several programmes at the same time, between 3 & 4 usually. (Not 3am & 4am)
Here's one test I did earlier .....
60 minute programme HD download

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the e-mails from Plusnet to you go to your " Postmaster" @username, or to any alternative mail box that you have declared.
The postmaster box will inform you at month end what your next bill will be.
In addition PN have sent two inform mails this month, one on the 5th trying to flog you Mcaffe  (partial quote only)
Hello, and Happy New Year!
Why not kick off the New Year safely and securely with 3 months free Plusnet Protect,* our Internet security package powered by McAfee. It's specifically designed to help keep you and your family safe online, so you can start 2012 enjoying your online experience to the full without worrying about threats on the web.
How will Plusnet Protect keep you safe online this year? Just take a look:
Identity Theft Protection and Anti-Phishing allow you to shop, bank and trade online securely *

and one on the 12th
ello.
At Plusnet, we know that it would be nice to be able to jump the queue when things get busy, especially when the hold-up is preventing you from enjoying your online experience to the full. With our unique add-on Plusnet Pro, you can make sure your broadband connection is always prioritised, so that when you're using time-sensitive applications it doesn't get stuck in a jam.
For just £5 a month,* Plusnet Pro gives you a top-class connection, helping you keep up to speed with the office from the comfort of your own home, and stay ahead of the game when annihilating enemies in your favourite online pursuits. Take a look at how you can prioritise your connection with Plusnet Pro:
w0wn0w
Grafter

@spraxyt: Yep, it is not a change of plan but added allowance. My exchange is Market 3 with everything enabled (London)
@purleigh & @PlusComUK: Could work... I'll check with them  Wink
@pierre_pierre: Thanks! Of course my spam filter would not let it through. It is not even personalized.
Thank you, people for all your support and info!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

perhaps you should whitelist postmaster!!
I have never had spam to that address, but get loads to my other addresses.
It may be a problem for you with all your domains, but the PN email filter does occasionally give false positives and it helps to have a spam box that you can look at
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's an archive of the newsletters here: http://community.plus.net/newsletters/ But...
Is it really a year since the last one or have they again failed to put the latest ones on that page?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w0wn0w
Grafter

@pierre_pierre: The problem is not with domains but the settings I use for my spam filter. The messages like above has high span score. Simple example: if you use PayPal, eBay, Amazon, Skype, etc. then you might check all their marketing messages.They have your name on the top an don't start like "Dear user" or similar. This is a common practice that helps to prove that it is not a scam and pass common spam settings that many people use.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: w0wn0w
Talking to options... Hmmm.... What for? They will most probably try to tie me up for a "nice cheap 18 (12,30,etc.) months" contract... Don't you think?  Wink

I think you may be surprised...
When I rang the Options team last week they offered a significant reduction to the price I was currently paying (it did mean that I would have to move my phone to them) but they confirmed it would be just 10 days notice to cancel.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
I'd just like to compare this with the way, for example, Sky operate.
Sky, like PlusNet often review their product packages, they don't advise customers if they're 'paying too much' for their current package (they certainly never informed me) but the BIG difference that I encountered was when trying to change product on their website - it is quick and easy to sign up for any additions to your package but impossible to unsubscribe from parts of your existing package (PlusNet by comparison allow easy product changes online in any direction amongst the range of current products).  In order to reduce your package (costs) in any way with Sky you have to call their 'retentions' team (basically the same as PlusNet's 'options'), they will then offer you extras free for a limited period (which then become chargeable and increase your bill) and you have to be quite persistent to actually get a reduction on your package (though, in fairness, I did eventually get the reduction I wanted with a bonus half price for 6 months).  Customer Options are often able to offer 'exceptions' to the current packages / pricing, usually in return for a 12 month commitment or similar in order to persuade you to stay.
I previously had a far worse experience with NTL/Virgin who kept telling me that it was impossible to move me to a current (at the time) product with better pricing, they lost my business for telephone, internet and TV - not for failing to inform me about better value packages but for delierately lying to me in order to keep ripping me off.

Sky used to be easier to get discounts from but much harder thesedays I have found. When I thought I was getting free movies and sports with the basic channels for half price I found on DD day they took double what they should so I am very wary of what I actually believe of Sky!
When dealing with the COT they don't require any contract extensions for reducing costs and have access to legacy products should they better meet your needs and well worth asking - they can only say "no" but have never said that when I have phoned them.
@spraxyt - "...Are you on a Market 2 or Market 3 exchange? The price for Extra with a 60GB monthly allowance remains at £11.49 on those exchanges but increases to £17.99 after 3 months on a Market 1 exchange...." - I found on here that Plusnet were offering the lower price to Market 2 exchanges as well as Market 3 ones as I am on Market 2 and am paying the lower price for 'Extra'.
Labman
Dabbler

You stupid human beings will never learn..... Do not be loyal to a corporation......for gods sakes.. Get a Grip!!!
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps shouting edited as per forum rules.