cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for phone calls we're not making

purahu

Charged for phone calls we're not making

We've been a broadband customer since April, we both have mobile phone's so have never connected a landline to our telephone line, yet since April we have had charges for phone calls added to our bill.
How is this happening, we're not responsible for these calls, why would anyone call the speaking clock in this day and age anyway?Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Charged for phone calls we're not making

purahu

Hi, thanks for that.
I've had three more calls added to my bill, for an 0870 number, now waiting for the billing team to investigate.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi purahu,
Welcome to the forums Smiley
The only time I've ever seen the speaking clock as part of a billing dispute is shortly after a fault being resolved. I used to think that it was some sort of testing method to check a phone line, but the explanations in Jim's link make a lot more sense. I'll get the speaking clock fee refunded for you, whatever it may have been.
As for the 0870 number; I tried calling it and there was a pretty deafening tone on the other end, a bit like a fax machine or a dial up modem.
By any chance, do you have any alarm systems fitted in your property?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

All,
I recall 123 calls arising from poor contractor 'engineer' "testing" for a free phone line.  Seem to recall that is a practice practised by Kelly Communications.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.