cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch-22 for TV trial

WWWombat
Grafter

Catch-22 for TV trial

We were rejected from the TV trial because we aren't on the "Unlimited Fibre" package.
However, we are on the older precursor - the "Extra Fibre 250" product - and currently use around 100GB of the 250GB allowance, so well under the limit. It is the same price each month as "Unlimited", so we have not seen the need to change.
In the original application, we stated that we would change package (as it is a perfectly reasonable requirement) if accepted on the trial, but were still rejected. The best offer we get is that if we upgrade first, then we might get considered if any more trialists are added.
The catch-22 dilemma is this:
Upgrading to the "unlimited fibre" package locks us in to a new 18 month contract that we otherwise don't need (we have no minimum contract period now, because we've been on this fibre contract for near 3 years). It would cost the same, and provide the same service. The only gain that we get from it is that we might get considered as triallists. But getting locked into the 18 month contract prevents us from considering the other TV options available at the moment. That seems a risk too far.
One very timely reason for being interested in the trial is that our existing DVR is on its last legs and not likely to last 18 months. Looking for a replacement nowadays requires us to consider those TV options - which, until now, has included BT, Sky, TalkTalk (and, at a push, Virgin) but not Plusnet. It would be daft to sign up to an 18 month contract, for no reason, with the one company who cannot supply a TV option!
Agreeing to a new contract even after being accepted into the trial would also be a risk (what if we don't like the end result? What if it last 3 months, and just disappears?) but seems like a reasonable compromise.
I don't mind getting rejected for a real reason, but this one seems daft. Though now I've posted a comment about the trial onto the internet, I've given a real reason to be thrown off if ever we were on it  Lips_are_sealed
Ho hum.  Roll_eyes
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Catch-22 for TV trial

Personally if I was in your shoes, I'd look at what benefits I'd get from moving to the Unlimited package over my current package and base the decision on that.
You never know, the PN television trials may end up going nowhere or end up not offering much more than a normal Youview box you can pick up for £60-£70 so don't just base a move on that.
I'd try and negotiate a shorter contract on Unlimited if it is the same price as you're paying and you're not asking for any "new customer discounted periods"
AndyH
Grafter

There is a small traffic management advantage for being on unlimited compared to a legacy product for gaming and P2P/Usenet/Download sites (I believe).
You can probably negotiate a deal with Plusnet to move to unlimited. It might be seeing what they could do - even if it is just for curiosity.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Personally if I was in your shoes, I'd look at what benefits I'd get from moving to the Unlimited package over my current package and base the decision on that.

Yes, that's exactly what we're doing. No benefits, and distinct risk of downside, so we're not changing.
In fact, we've also shifted (ie not renewed) from the annual line rental payment back onto the monthly payment, to make sure we're not locked-in that way either.
You never know, the PN television trials may end up going nowhere or end up not offering much more than a normal Youview box you can pick up for £60-£70 so don't just base a move on that.

Agreed, and that plays into the balance of the decision.
It isn't so much the standard Youview/freeview experience that's the thing here - it is more about what the extra experience is for additional IPTV channels (beyond the catchup stuff) and the locked freeview channels.
The existing box is a Toppy, with hacked "MyStuff" software running on top, and a 2TB disk. It is only SD, but the extra software does a fantastic job of searching, choosing and recording for us - particularly over selecting alternatives & duplicates, and coping with +1 channels and repeats on Dave. There is no HD box that does anywhere near as good a job as yet - and we're going to be gutted when it does die.
Still... it all has me thinking through alternatives now...
I'd try and negotiate a shorter contract on Unlimited if it is the same price as you're paying and you're not asking for any "new customer discounted periods"

Hmmm. I might have to do that. Ta
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
There is a small traffic management advantage for being on unlimited compared to a legacy product for gaming and P2P/Usenet/Download sites (I believe).

You're right, though it is external FTP that is the third category, rather than download sites. I could have sworn that the old "Extra Fibre" product eventually went totally unlimited in speeds (even if it kept a large usage allowance), but it appears to have a 2Mbps limit between 8 and 10 in those categories.
I can live with that. The fibre packages were rather more restricted originally, and the fact is that you really don't notice much.
But there's a reverse difference too, in the traffic management prioritisation. The "Extra Fibre" package puts "external FTP" and "Other" categories at a higher prioritisation that in "Unlimited". Interesting.
You can probably negotiate a deal with Plusnet to move to unlimited. It might be seeing what they could do - even if it is just for curiosity.

I'll ponder that. Ta
Plusnet Customer
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

As your line rental is no longer 'locked' to Plusnet you have extra 'bargaining power' if you are 'thinking of moving your line rental elsewhere' (which, I believe, shouldn't cost you any 'penalty' as long as you remain on the older BB product - beware, though, there's a penalty for moving your line rental on the current product).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
momist
Dabbler

Interesting.  I think I've seen you also comment on this on the YouView forums? 
As a very new YV (retail Humax) user, I'd suggest you look at the vibe going around that the YV box is rapidly becoming a BT/TalkTalk TV product, with little backing from the content providers and therefore doomed to eventual decline, much like the old BetaMax products.  Freeview Connect is just over the horizon (can't yet be seen though).  I'd strongly consider other solutions, i.e. wait until your PVR actually dies and then get something like a cheap BluRay player with Netflix, iPlayer etc. and a separate PVR. 
I'm now wishing I had gone that route, pleasant though it is to have all the catch-up content available from one box.  I fear being left with a white pachyderm.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: momist
Interesting.  I think I've seen you also comment on this on the YouView forums? 

Wasn't me, only ever been on the YV forums once for a bit of troubleshooting.
Might have a look though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WWWombat
Grafter

Wasn't me on the forums either... in fact, I hadn't really thought of them as *having* forums!
On the other hand, I've now been looking at some Humax forums, especially at the non-YV HDR boxes. Custom firmware, eh?
Plusnet Customer
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: momist
I fear being left with a white pachyderm.
So it doesn't get lonely, you could imbibe sufficiently for it to have one or more pink companions. Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.