cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation due to leaving student house - confusing!

poorstudent

Cancellation due to leaving student house - confusing!

The website says that I can cancel my contract by ringing the customer service line between 9 and 5, no days of the week are stated so I presumed (stupidly) this would be a 7 day (or at least mon-sat) operation. After ringing today a recorded, message says I need to ring on Monday as its shut at the weekend.  I need to cancel ASAP as have moved out of my student flat due to graduating, and since I now can't contact anyone to do this until Monday I am worried that new tenants will run up loads of bills exceeding download limits which I will be charged for. Having just finished a degree I really can't afford this! The call centres should really be open either on a Saturday or at least into the evening during the week.
Up until today I had had great service from plusnet and would have been happy to recommend. Really disappointed  Sad
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cancellation due to leaving student house - confusing!

First thing is to go to here and set your maximum extra monthly  spend to zero https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/
However before doing that make sure that you haven't exceeded your allowed usage already - if you have set the limit to the amount you have already been charged
Then you can stop worrying
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Did you not take the router with you when you left ? without the router OR your PlusNet username/password your account can't be used.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"Our residential accounts require 10 days notice for cancellation."
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/contracts.shtml
"40. Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time by giving us 10 days' written notice, unless the service terms say otherwise. "
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html
OldJim & MisterW have provided help on ensuring that no additional charges are incurred for internet use. Perhaps it would be worth Calling Customer services to see if they can block outgoing telephone calls ASAP.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As has already been said, you can limit your broadband liability with the link that Jim's provided (although if you haven't left the modem/router there then you'll be pretty safe). You can get the phone stopped usually within 24hrs (maybe quicker), and the broadband can be stopped immediately if you ring the CSC - open 24/7. You will be liable for the 10 days notice on both however (and longer if you are under contract) plus any deferred charges and the broadband cessation fee. I'd suggest you ring late this evening when they will be quieter and more easily be able to deal with this. You will still have to ring in on Monday to formally deal with the cancellation.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As well as setting your monthly extra spend to zero as Jim recommended, go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=change_password&s=0 and change the password. The next time the router tries to reconnect it will fail and there will be no internet connection. If anyone left in the house knows your password I'd strongly recommend that action as they could remove the extra spend limit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the OP's router was left behind and is a Plusnet Easy Start one, the system will change the router's broadband password to match if the account password is changed. Plusnet would need to remove its serial number from their ACS to stop that happening.
David
Anotherone
Champion

Well I hope the OP has phoned the CSC, all they have to do is stop the account from authenticating.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see you've now been able to get through, please let us know if you'd still like us to stop the router connecting though? I hope our Customer Options team have been able to arrange that for you but if not please let us know and we'll sort it.
Anotherone
Champion

Eh? I don't understand that. If he/she has been able to get through and has spoken to customer options, I would have expected it to have been stopped immediately. However, I also get the impression that the OP having made the opening post has done nothing more than have a good winge and not been back to read the input that has been provided.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From his profile:
Last Active: Sat 30-06-2012, 15:17:58

Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)