Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't even close my account! Sad!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can't even close my account! Sad!

When they started using it, was it with your permission?

If so did you at some stage instruct them to stop and have some proof of that?

If it is without your permission or it is absolutely clear the permission has been revoked you can contact the police.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
angrychairr
Hooked

That's a bit far, the police have enough to deal with, plusnet should just close the account...
Anon
Pro

@Chris wrote:

A lot has changed since 2007! As others have said, accounts are no longer required to be linked to the internal systems during signup on the community site.

Seems only like yesterday.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@angrychairr wrote:
4 calls, 3 online chats and a Facebook post hasn't resolved it. For four months somebody has been using internet paid for by me.

Why should I waste another 45 minutes of my life calling plusnet?

Unfortunately we cannot take cancellation requests via Facebook, the community forums or live chat.

As per our cancellation policy:

A cancellation request for cease of service can be made in one of two ways:

• By calling us: The quickest and easiest way to request a cancellation for cease of service is by calling our Customer Options Team.

• By post to: Plusnet plc, The Balance, 2 Pinfold St. Sheffield, S1 2GU. It is recommended that for your own peace of mind, any letter containing a cancellation request for cease of service is sent by recorded delivery. We cannot accept responsibility for lost letters not sent in this way. The letter must state the name of the account holder, the account username, the full address of where we are providing the service as well as the telephone number which we are providing the service on.

When calling up we would need to go through data protection checks, however it looks like this is where problems are arising, judging from the notes on the account. We simply cannot just cease the services for an account without first going through necessary security checks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Having read the above post I'm wondering if this is a case of a broadband connection where the OP is paying for an account via DD which is in someone else's name?

If that's the case, why not just contact the bank and cancel the DD?

Edit: insert missing "is" in "... which is in..."

Anon
Pro

Cancelling the DD with Pnet still supplying means that the owner of the b ank account on which this is being paid will be open for debt collection from Pnet.

It does look like someone is paying for a connection for another person and the account is in the other person's name and wants to stop that, but cannot get through Pnet security to cancel it, the person who has the connection does not want to cancel / will not cancel and the person paying presumably angrychairr does not wish to continue paying.

Not sure what can be done. But there is a moral for others not to get into this situation and I can think of many situations like parents paying for children where this could happen.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

surely the responsibility for the debt will be the account holder - the source of the direct debit would seem to be of no consequence

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Surely it would be the person who has the name on the account, and who accepted the terms and conditions that would be responsible for paying the account and if that was not to happen it would be them that would be chased for the debt.  If the Direct Debit (or Credit Card) used to pay the account was actually someone else, and they stopped the payment it would still be the Plusnet account holder that would be liable.  Afterall it is them who has the contract with Plusnet.

Edit: OldJim beat me to it, and probably said it much better and shorter than me!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

That was my thought as well when I read the post in the notification email for Anon's post. Was heading here to respond when I found your two replies.

Anon
Pro

This is obviously more involved than meets the eye. The op does not want to involve the police, perhaps if they cancel the DD they would put the account holder in a position they do not want to put them in. For an example, nothing to do with this situation, a parent paying might want to cease paying but not want to involve their child with the police or debt agencies.

I would hope that Pnet can find a way to really discover what is happening here, without compromising security or data protection, to help the OP to find an answer.

The next advice would be for angrychairr to go to someone like Citizens Advice, one in most towns, and talk to them, in absolute confidence, and see if that finds a way forward.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Anon wrote:

This is obviously more involved than meets the eye.

@Anon wrote:

I would hope that Pnet can find a way to really discover what is happening here, without compromising security or data protection, to help the OP to find an answer.

The notes are fairly clear. However I can't go in to much detail via a public forum.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
angrychairr
Hooked

The first time he told me he won't close my account because I said I'm moving, and said I have to call up another time to talk to the moving department. Despite the fact that I already moved and simply want to close my account. Refusal #1.

The second time the guy refused because of security details which the first guy was content with.

The third guy refused because the department for account closing was closed.

The fourth guy got through all the security checks and was about to close my account but I couldn't pay the entire remaining contrsct until the week after. Didn't close my account, still left internet running.

The fifth guy said he can't because of security.

The sixth guy again because of security.

I cancelled the direct debit, and finally, after 4 months the internet connection was closed.

Now they won't let me pay the remainder of the contract.... Because they require bank details but because I cancelled the DD they no longer have them.

Quite simply they are having technical difficulty with their system, as a software dev I understand how bad they can be, but really at this point it needs escalating because clearly the customer services team are unable to process my request.

Literally all I want to do, now that it has been disabled, is pay for the contract and then never use plusnet again.

I've provided all the details multiple times, one guy successfully handled it - the others a unique security issue or just tried to redirect me to another irrelevant department.

And even better, is each time I've called - plusnet had been the one to end the call. 45 minutes wait times and they end the call.

It's just tiresome really
Anon
Pro

Nothing does surprise me anymore about Pnet, but as you present that it does sound like more incompetence.

angrychairr
Hooked

I didn't even mention the guy who started talking over me, raising his voice and then accused me of shouting lmao.

I gave him clear instructions on how to turn down the volume on his headset.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@angrychairr wrote:
The first time he told me he won't close my account because I said I'm moving, and said I have to call up another time to talk to the moving department. Despite the fact that I already moved and simply want to close my account. 

We don't need to pass data protection on an account to advise you to contact house moves/cancellations.

In order to initiate an account closure, we do need to pass data protection I'm afraid.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button