cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me how long it took to get swapped to Plusnet from another isp?

noname
Grafter

Can anyone tell me how long it took to get swapped to Plusnet from another isp?

So from your initial order with Plusnet how long did it take until everything was fully working?
For the record - I'm unhappy with how long it's taking for me.
30 REPLIES 30
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Can anyone tell me how long it took to get swapped to Plusnet from another isp?

It took me about 4 weeks but it will vary depending on your old isp &, of course, the dreaded BTOR!!
mrchdavid
Dabbler

Re: Can anyone tell me how long it took to get swapped to Plusnet from another isp?

I was lucky. Just over two weeks Smiley  . No real Plusnet issues. Great company. Only BT line issues but thats normal.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi noname,
I'm very sorry to hear that your orders have not progressed.
I've had a look at your account and can confirm that the reason for this was because our ordering system didn't process your order correctly and therefore the order didn't progress to our suppliers. I have now manually placed the migration order and you should receive confirmation of the migration date (appointment date) in the next 24 working hours.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused by the delay.
RogF

About two weeks from placing order.
A couple of gripes about mis-statements in the handbook that comes with the router:
Page 4: "You can also unplug any microfilters you were using (your new master socket has a built-in filter, so you won't need them anymore.)" This is only true if the engineer fits the master socket directly to the incoming line. If, as in my case, he fits it to an extension socket, all the house wiring is the wrong side of the filter, and you still need the microfilters.
Page 4: "When the engineer has finished installing Plusnet Fibre, you can start setting up your Plusnet router." This makes no mention of the fact that the account is not enabled until he confirms he has finished installing, so all attempts to log in will fail. In my case he never did, so I spent four and a half hours fruitlessly trying to get a connection, which was only resolved after I hung on to the support line for 20 minutes to talk to an assistant. Good news: once I had done all that, the connection was sorted simply by Plusnet turning it on...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: RogF
This is only true if the engineer fits the master socket directly to the incoming line. If, as in my case, he fits it to an extension socket, all the house wiring is the wrong side of the filter, and you still need the microfilters.

The engineer installed your service incorrectly. The master socket should always be the first socket because the master socket is the line termination and test point.  If you wanted the router located at a point other than the first socket, then a data extension should have been ordered / installed.  Some BTOR contractors are known for their poor installations.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RogF

Yes I know he did, and I told him so at the time. The problem was that I was promised a "BT Engineer", and what I got was a "Kelly Communications Fitter". That particular line is so old that there is no first socket, just a star point in the loft; I was expecting the "engineer" to reroute the incoming line to the socket near the router, and fit the master socket there. A BT engineer could have done that in a few minutes. Now I suppose we are into overlapping areas of responsibility... Something will have to be done because the DSL signal is making the phones ring!
jim:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi RogF,
Star wiring - something else which is really bad news for DSL.  Who provides your phone service?  Responsibility for sorting out the NTE5 normally follows the phone provider, however in a situation such as this, the phone service is not faulty... so as you suggest you could be between a rock and a hard place.
Do all of the extension phones have a filter fitted?  Given that your extensions are star wired before the NTE5 that filter is not filtering the other extensions as would normally be the case if daisy-chained wired.  This star wiring could be changed into a daisy chain with a bit of smart crimping in the star junction box and the use of spare pairs, making each extension a down and back leg of the circuit.
Hope you are soon sorted - use of Kelly Communications should be suspended.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RogF,
Thank you for your time on the phone today.
As we discussed we have booked an engineer to attend on 21/06/2014 between 8AM and 1PM. If this needs changing don't hesitate to let us know on here or by contacting our Faults team on 0800 432 0200.
noname
Grafter

Can other people who have recently switched, let me know how long it ACTUALLY took to be fully connected? (ie from initial order to be fully connected, up and working)
I'd be interested in how long it took for the phone to be switched too.
I'd also appreciate it if we can stay on topic please!
Thank you.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

noname,
The FTTC service is due to be migrated over to Plusnet this Friday 20/06/2014. An engineer will attend your cabinet and complete the migration on this day. You may experience some downtime whilst the engineer is carrying the work out at the cab.
Once the FTTC service has been migrated successfully we'll place the order to transfer your phone line over to us and this takes 10 working days to complete. Unfortunately we cannot "speed this process up" as this is an Ofcom ruling and we have to provide your current phone provider this notice period. During the period of your phone line being transferred from your current supplier to Plusnet you should not experience any downtime due to the transfer order.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can't shorted the 10 days after you order the transfer, but how may days earlier could you have placed the order if it wasn't for the deficiencies of your system not handing sim provides etc very well?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@noname,
Sorry for dealing with RogF's questions raised on your thread.
Without knowing the specific issues of your situation, I guess that an answer is difficult.  Given all ducks in a line,  it out not to take more than 10 days, however things can go wrong with the loosing supplier, BTOR or PN's systems which cau unfortunately take time to fix if not noticed.  As a reference one of my referrals recently moved home.  PN advised that the move would take 10 days, it was delivered in under a week.

@Mods,
Is there merit in splitting off RogF's posts and the associated responses?

Kevin

noname
Grafter

@Linn K
ok if because of an Ofcom ruling you have to provide my current phone provider this 10 day notice period, but WHY not give them the 10 day notice period from when I placed the order with you, instead of the 10 days from when the broadband is switched, so the the time runs concurrently?  so the phone should be switched three days after the broadband?
Is there some reason you can't do this?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's their system!
Quote from: jelv
but how may days earlier could you have placed the order if it wasn't for the deficiencies of your system not handing sim provides etc very well?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)