Did you mean: 

Calls from 0114 307 3836

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Calls from 0114 307 3836

@Jonpe wrote:

There is usually no, or a very short, wait for Customer Options I understand.

Aye, looking at the current wait times there's currently no queue for Customer Options, or even Provisioning and House Moves. The longest queue is currently at 9 minutes 45 seconds for Technical Support.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Unhelpful posts removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bazzer
Pro

Someone just called me from this number. They called me on the number I have registered with PN and quoted my name to which I confirmed it was me.

Then they want to "take me through security" which involves me giving the caller information about myself and my address.

I refused to do this. Why should I? They're calling me, on the number I have registered with them, quoting my name. What else do they want?

So I said you either tell me what you want or we say goodbye.

We said Goodbye Grin

I'm sick of these damn companies wanting to put me through so called security and then read about another company that has had a major security breach.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This is a topic that we've raised in the Superuser forum.  Nothing to report back yet, but is being discussed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anon
Pro

@bazzer wrote:

Someone just called me from this number. They called me on the number I have registered with PN and quoted my name to which I confirmed it was me.

Many months ago I foolishly told a caller that I was the person they were asking for, it was a scam call pretending to be from an internet security firm. Now I get regular calls from them and cannot get rid of them. Pnet are an absolute disgrace for a company claiming to be on their customer's side to behave like the scammers and help to delude their customers into giving away security information.

But no amount of customer ire at what they do and how they help the scammers seems to make one jot of a dent in what they do. They care only for cash and have absolutely no concern whatsoever for their paying customers, we are just milch cows to them.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
bazzer
Pro

I have call blocking and on both occasions they phoned, the first time I ignored it, they did announce themselves otherwise I wouldn't get the call pushed through to me.

I can recommend call blocking phones, I have the BT8500's but believe a newer model is out, as the scammers can't get through and do not announce themselves so you're not bothered with ringing phones at all hours.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that @bazzer

@bazzer wrote:

Then they want to "take me through security" which involves me giving the caller information about myself and my address.

I refused to do this. Why should I? They're calling me, on the number I have registered with them, quoting my name.

In fairness, we would have just dialled a phone number which is simply a set of digits. Appreciate it's a good chance you'll be the one to answer, but for data protection purposes we need to verify that by asking you security questions.

Sorry if it caused you any inconvenience. If you want to opt out of marketing communications, I'd recommend updating your preferences here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

It annoys me greatly that a companies with whom I do business telephone me and I have to jump through hoops and answer security questions to prove who I am.

It is them phoning me, surely I as their customer should be expecting them to meet my security criteria in order to satisfy me that they are genuine and there is a genuine reason for their call.

Should we all as customers be expecting some role reversal in this data protection/privacy regime.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Gandalf wrote:
I refused to do this. Why should I? They're calling me, on the number I have registered with them, quoting my name.

In fairness, we would have just dialled a phone number which is simply a set of digits. Appreciate it's a good chance you'll be the one to answer, but for data protection purposes we need to verify that by asking you security questions.

As pointed out in a number of responses in this thread this not good practice in today's 'scammers' market.  The end user has NO mechanism to prove who the caller is (Plusnet, external marketing agency, scammer) so to expect them to divulge details of their account security is just unrealistic!

This practice of 'cold calling' in the guise of a 'service call' is in need of a senior level review.

Sorry if it caused you any inconvenience. If you want to opt out of marketing communications, I'd recommend updating your preferences here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions

@Gandalf  see posts #4; #8 and others, these settings in the Member centre and TPS preferences are being ignored!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cleandishee
Grafter

"Sorry if it caused you any inconvenience. If you want to opt out of marketing communications, I'd recommend updating your preferences here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions

@Gandalf  see posts #4; #8 and others, these settings in the Member centre and TPS preferences are bein ignored!"

It is very disappointing that this is still being suggested as a way to solve the issue, when it has been shown to make no difference and I was bluntly told as such by Plusnets own complaints department.

Maybe I shouldn't be suprised as staff member Gandalf made the choice to "like" a provocative post on this thread that more or less said that the people who were having issues with these cold calls were ungrateful whingers.

Hopefully someone higher up will see sense and actually take this matter seriously and sort something out, but there doesn't seem to be any rush to do anything.

Sad really.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Elsewhere a rounds here people are venting steam that Plusnet has NOT made contact at the end of their contracts!

How faced with this topic and that are they supposed to please everyone?

BTW TPS only applies to organisations you DO NOT have a relationship with.

stribs
Grafter

That may be the case when you have not indicated you do not want direct marketing or the call is about your existing service. However when the call is from an outside company on behalf of PlusNet and it is to market a new service and you have stated you do not want to be msrketed the fact you are a customrr does not apply they are breaking direct marketing rules and by giving your details to an outside company they are also breaking the data protection rules.

When I started this post it was because I had several calls both to my land line and mobile phones, Plusnet have still not dealt with the original post, they appear at verious point in this post to have tried to make it into a customrr service issue, but it is not, it is about unwanted direct marketing of new services and the passing of customer data to an outside company for that purpose against customer wishes.

bazzer
Pro

Whilst I understand the need to protect peoples data there are far too many cases of companies that have failed to do this so when we get called up asking to give out personal details everyone should rightly be on their guard.

I don't expect to have to do this and I will not do so unless it is me that initiates the call.

It is not a breach of data protection if PN had told me why they were calling but they didn't.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

So what's the heart of the issue in this thread?

1. The fact that PN make SERVICE calls to do things such as advise of options at the end of contract?
2. That the caller seeks to verify that they are speaking to the account holder by under taking security checks?

These are quite distinct issues - this topic is already on the SU discussion board, but the issue being complained about seems confused between the two above angles. Without clarity it's not possible to effectively seek change.

Note elsewhere around here there are complaints that plusnet has NOT made contact near then end of contract.

Customer334455
Hooked

The issue for me was I was told "We are calling on behalf of PN" so a company working for PN that had my details. This was just after the start of my contract.

No problems now as the landline is not used for any unlisted calls we get.