cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0114 307 3836

stribs
Grafter

Re: Calls from 0114 307 3836

When I started this post it was because I had several calls both to my land line and mobile. Unlike many others I did not get to speak to a person because by the time I answered the phone the caller had moved on to the next number. If you have registered with TPS And  you have set your preferences on your Plusnet  account not to receive direct marketing from Plusnet and its marketing company then they should resect this. I don't want to be taken from what I am doing  to deal with direct marketing when I have indicated that I  don't want  any.

I  got around this (receiving unwanted calls) by blocking the number, I  should not need to do this if Plusnet accepted my request not to be marketed.

The other issue would appear to that they are asking for security information in direct contrast their own advice not to give information on the phone to unknown callers.

Plusnet and its marketing company are breaking the DMA rules and should be reported (to the ICO) each and everytime they make a cold call to users that have indicated they don't want to receive calls.

Anon
Pro

If, and say a big if, those calls were trapped in the spam filter, why was i sent a copy of them, so I could reproduce that post in my posting?

@Mav wrote:

@Strat wrote:

@cleandishee I have released 4 of your posts from the spam filter.

If you wish to have any removed please give me the message numbers.

Moderator's note:

I have removed those posts marked as Duplicate.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
north_londoner
Dabbler

this is off topic..... but is a timely reminder..

I am a former Plusnet customer and have just migrated away. I very rarely give my land line number out and can count the number of organisations that have it on one hand. I make a point of giving a junk email contact for me to check emails from almost all organisations and land line is put as 0208 ******* (insert anything but your own number!)

I received a cold call from someone claiming to be from TPS. They had name, address, post code and my land line number. Elderly family members were left confused by their request (they know to tell who ever to call back evening or weekends or email info over). I was at home, luckily and carried on with the call.

Was a scam call, how or where they had the data I don't know.... They were looking to confirm subsciption and then to verify expiry dates of payment methods. *alarm bells!*

I asked for a number to call them back on to verify etc. They said they were calling on behalf of ISP's Sky, BT, Plusnet, Talktalk etc

- TPS is obviously free
- They have a UK based telephone number (0203....something)

Beware.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@stribs wrote:

If you have registered with TPS And  you have set your preferences on your Plusnet  account not to receive direct marketing from Plusnet and its marketing company then they should resect this.

A interesting Freudian slip there: resect = cut out (tissue or part of an organ) Smiley

cleandishee
Grafter

Actually North_londoner your post is almost a carbon copy of what brought me to this board in the first place.

I don't know where the spammers got our number and in some cases our details from, but they can be plausable if you are not paying attention.

This is much worse if you have a vulnerable person who may answer the phone and might confirm (or provide) valuable information to the spammers, even if they stop short of handing bank details.

Action Fraud and the like have many warnings about this, saying you shouldn't confirm anything and insist on calling back the organisation on their official number etc.

Therefore you probably can tell my opinion of companies phoning you out of the blue and insisting to hand over security details and questions before they will talk to you.

I have had a difficult time trying to give a consistent message to the vulnerable person I am trying to look after.

At the time Plusnet chose to call out of the blue, we had been dealing with a particularly agressive bunch that would phone multiple times each day and switch numbers constantly when I blocked them.

It got to the point where for a time I had to block any number that began 02.

These people by the way all pretended to be telecoms companies, offering to save on your line rental. Most said "BT" but occassionally "Talk Talk" or "Virgin" was offered.

As the person involved really did not like not answering the phone, nor being "rude" to anyone calling, I actually told them that these people were scammers and that our phone company would not call us like that.

Imagine my amazement when a 0114 number turned up supposedly Plusnet. Checking on the very useful whocallsme verified this as well on top of this very forum thread turning up on my Google search.

To say I was annoyed and embarrassed to actually have to say our own telephone provider was now calling when they shouldn't be was difficult to get across.

I blocked this number anyway and said that the phone should be put down regardless. It is likely any issues would either be emailed or in the customer portal anyway. Things like service going down aren't told individually anyway, often just appearing on the status pages.

This is the angle I think Plusnet hasn't thought through very well. They seem to think most people would appreciate the offers or just politely say no thank-you, if they didn't want it, as the poster speaking for the silent majority felt they had to say.

The reality is that the call had all the hallmarks of a scam, especially when you believed the company would not call you in this way.

My first thought was that Plusnet had its database stolen, like what happened to Talk-Talk the year before. In that case a number of people reported false "Talk Talk" contact and had been conned before Talk Talk finally owned up and warned their customers.

I want to thank the OP and the other posters reporting this here and on whocallsme, which allowed me to find it was Plusnet doing this and not an outside scammer, as this would caused much more stress and time to investigate.

Even if Plusnets intentions are sincere to help customers find better offers, there are ways to do this without alarming some of your vulnerable customers, no matter how much of a minority they are.

Some good suggestions have been put forward by other posters, such as emails or customer portal notifications that would get the same result.

Maybe they could consider using these methods instead.

Cleandishee

Jonpe
Hero

How do we know it isn't this lady calling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJ6irUDmHI ?

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

cleandishee wrote:

I want to thank the OP and the other posters reporting this here and on whocallsme, which allowed me to find it was Plusnet doing this and not an outside scammer, as this would caused much more stress and time to investigate.

Even if whocallsme says that the number belongs to Plusnet it doesn't necessarily mean that the caller is actually from Plusnet as Caller ID can be spoofed.

cleandishee
Grafter

Alanf - I agree that call idents can be spoofed and that no one should use this alone to verify a company.

Its real use is for identifying obvious spamming numbers.

In my case it indicated the number was possibly genuine, this thread added to this, making me decide to actually push Plusnet to confirm which they eventually did.

Otherwise I just would have assumed a spam number and left it at that.

My personal recommendation is that it is safer not to engage with any unexpected inbound calls, as the chances of a geniune important call is so low that it isn't worth it.

You can then check the number via whocallsme or google and if there is any question the call many have come from an honest source, then you can call the official number and enquire, as Action Fraud suggests.

Just in case anyone has overlooked it, there is another thread discussing calls from this number that has had some interesting replies.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Just-had-a-call-from-plusnet/td-p/1445254

Cleandishee

Anon
Pro

the problem with ringing Pnet back to ensure it was them is that you can be on the phone for 30 minutes plus waiting to speak to anyone.

If Pnet want to talk to people send an email and give some direct numbers,

poppy123
Dabbler

I have had two calls yesterday (Friday) and two today. I have never given permission and I am on TPS and ex directory for almost 20 years. I never answered phone it was just logged on my phone

I have reporting these calls to Information Commissioner. I do not  allow cold calls and will now block this number in future.

I d not know if this is Plusnet or not I only googled the number and found this thread someone also said this is a bogus call pretending to be Plusnet in another url

Whoever it is they are now blocked on my home phone. I nearly always report cold callers these days

Anon
Pro

poppy123, check the previous page of this thread and you can see that Pnet admit it is their team that use this number. It is not spam, it is just that they do not care how much distress they cause to their customers or encourage them to divulge sensitive information.

poppy123
Dabbler

If this is Plusnet this is simple not on to cold call its customers. I have no desire to receive any cold calls no matter what, I rarely use landline as it is and do not give out my number to anyone unless its absolutely necessary. I have put in a complaint to information commissioner who have the power to fine companies for data breaches and cold calling like this

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Recently had much the same experience. However, what is the best time to call me? Evenings is what it says. So what the hell they calling me during work in the afternoon. Anyway, seems they were prepared to do a deal on my renewing. What a waste of my time.

Yes I got told I could have my fibre about £5 cheaper (something like that) but I'd have to pay again for the static IP that I currently have. Strange, swear I'd already paid the £5 for that, so what gives? Anyway I kept on querying the additional payment. The woman kept going off the line to get answers and couldn't add up the new total to save her life. How much is a calculators these days? Why wasn't the amount showing on her screen? Can you hold? I work in a busy factory. I got fed up after the 2nd hold and hung up.

The call number is now on my block list on my mobile. And nor is there any point leaving messages on my landline, simply because it isn't connected and hasn't been for the last 2 years. Email me the offer. We might tango yet!

Or I might move to another ISP 🙂

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there, sorry for the issues you had when called. The static IP wouldn't need to be paid for again, I have no idea why you were told otherwise (I'll pass feedback on about that too).

If you're interested in a new deal just let us know by calling our customer options team and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Jonpe
Hero

There is usually no, or a very short, wait for Customer Options I understand.