cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0114 307 0124

FIXED
purplewellies

Calls from 0114 307 0124

I received a call from this number today saying they were from plusnet and offering to get me a better deal.  I started to say that I don't arrange this over the phone and that I would not release personal information when the person hung up.  They had my name and called an Ex-Directory number.

I Googled the number (0114 307 0124) and came up with a number of websites (e.g. who-called.co.uk) which suggest that calls from this number ask for usernames and passwords.  My call didn't get that far but if this is the case I would treat it as a phishing attempt.  I work in financial crime prevention and unsolicited calls which ask for information of this nature should always be treated with suspicion.  Was this genuine?  If so, I suggest a review of procedure and if not, I suggest referral to Action Fraud.

16 REPLIES 16
All4One
Grafter

Re: Calls from 0114 307 0124

Well, 0114 is Sheffield, and Plusnet HQ is Sheffield...I wouldn't have thought a scam would be coming from Sheffield Cheesy

If you're worried, just call them and ask.

Actually, if you Google'd it and read the responses, there's your answer.

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/01143070124

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Fix

This was genuinely us. Generally this happens if you're opted in for any marketing comms. You should be able to change that on the Member Centre.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
purplewellies

Thank you all4one.  I did read the comments but who believes everything on the web! I take the view that all unsolicited calls (I'm XD and TPS) should be treated suspiciously.  When the person on the other end of the line hangs up when challenged, even more so!

purplewellies

Thanks MattyC - in which case I would suggest call centre staff are trained on how to allay any concerns rather than just hanging up when challenged.  For example, directing people to your website, etc.

I have changed my marketing preferences in my profile now - I hadn't appreciated they'd been pre-set to allow contact through all channels as I'm normally fastidious about unticking such things in the online application process.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass it on to our marketing guys. Smiley

Johngit

I received a similar call yesterday on my mobile whilst driving and I asked if the caller could email me with details of a better deal as they should have all the relevant details, call usage, broadband, etc. The caller said it wasn't possible to do that so they agreed to call again. The second call happened today - while I was out - I listened very carefully - and I was then very suspicious.  They asked me to confirm my landline number - for security reasons.  Alarm bells then rang, so I asked them if 'they' could confirm my landline number for the sake of 'my' security. The caller refused to do this, even when I pointed out that they had called me.

If this genuine, then why can't plusnet ensure their existing loyal customers are automatically on the best deal., and why call a mobile phone? We are constantly, and quite correctly, asked to mistrust calls of this nature. A scammer could easily use this ploy - gaining the customers personal details, confirming passwords given out quite innocently, and then having gained full trust getting access to a vulnerable person's bank account.

buseng12
Grafter

I've just had a call from this number! I didn't answer it because I didn't know who it was.

Googling it brought me here.

Why are P/N pestering me? I've not asked for anything. 

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Why are P/N pestering me? I've not asked for anything. 

Because at the time, you'll have been opted in for telephone comms. This can be changed in the Member's Centre

atomit
Dabbler

I just got one of these calls too. I was surprised to be asked questions about my login name and details and when I asked the guy to give me my email address he said he couldn't so I told him to email me the information and not to call back as I prefer not to be bothered on the phone during working hours.

Given all the telephone fraud these days, surely it is better to email information about better deals rather than pestering people over the phone as it is difficult to ask for information without disturbing people or appearing to phish.

I will change my preferences but I think that given the paranoia about fraud these days it is best practice not to call people and ask them for personal and account details.

amcclean
Rising Star

I had a call from 01143073836 Calling on behalf of PN. They were inquiring if i wished to move package to a better priced one.

I'm currently out of contract and weighing up my options. I like have been here for 11 years I doubt it'll be many more I'm waiting to see a great offer to jump ship to.

At present With my discounts I beat the price and the connection is reasonably ok. I'm not tying in though for any discount.

ruthnp7

Not happy, I've been getting calls from this number and I know for a fact that I've always set my contact preferences to email only (just double-checked that). So why is it calling me? I will never answer as I don't pick up unsolicited calls. Really annoying that Plusnet is not respecting customer's wishes.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well I got a text from Plusnet informing me that they would be phoning me about package deals as my contract ends in November & as 0114 is Sheffield where Plusnet is based I won't have any issues.

I also opted in for telephone comms as it's the quickest way for Plusnet to contact me if they see any issues such as my email account being compromised etc.so having email as my only means of comms would be pretty useless if it was a compromised email account to which Plusnet wanted to alert me.

Plusnet will ask some basic security questions for data protection as their call centre staff  are not psychic & don't know if someone else has answered your phone!!!!

I did fraud investigations for 30 years & I found it best to get all the possible evidence before firing off which, had it been done, would have ensured that  the OP got his / her facts right.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's long overdue for Plusnet to give the option for users to be able to set a pass phrase on their account that Plusnet can use when making calls to users to prove that it is a genuine call.

https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions would be the correct place for it to be set.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Interesting that opting in to communications from Plusnet gives permission for any part of the BT group to contact you!

We may also share personal information with other members of the BT group, including EE

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)