cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband issue closed with no action?

arkestra
Hooked

Broadband issue closed with no action?

I opened an issue with broadband dropping on 24 Mar 18. PlusNet said OpenReach were looking into the problem.

Just checked and the issue (#171128052) was closed on 8 Apr 18 "due to inactivity" with no further action taken on PlusNet's part.

Meanwhile I still have a broadband connection that is dropping frequently.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get some more concerted action taken by PlusNet on this? 

Have now been hanging on the phone line for 15 minutes trying to talk to someone, which is not doing wonders for my temper...

(make that 30 minutes...)

13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Broadband issue closed with no action?

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Was the entry on the ticket prior to that indicating closure, seeking a response from you?  Normally and "inactivity" closure follows a request fro information from the customer which has not been responded to for 14 days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arkestra
Hooked

No, the sole content was an acknowledgement of the problem and a statement that OpenReach were looking into it. Then silence until closure.

I got through after 40 minutes and have got a new ticket opened.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @arkestra,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I'm very sorry that your fault ticket was closed with no action. The fault ticket was not raised to the correct place so it timed out without being picked up - this was due to human error and I've passed on some feedback.

I can see that the last agent you spoke to has spotted a potential issue with the SNR margin and has made some adjustments to this. Please continue to monitor your connection over the next few days and let us know if you experience any further issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@EmilyD,

The original post mentioned that (on the first ticket), BT Openreach had been asked to look at the issue ... this rather implies a line fault ... however the more recent ticket suggests changing the SNRM ... which is usually more than adequately managed by the DLM ... unless there's a fault on the line ...

Is the SNRM change here a temporary fix until BTOR can attend?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi Townman,

Although the original ticket said that the issue had been raised to BT Openreach, this was another case of agent error I'm afraid - the agent meant to raise this to our internal faults team. The agent appears to be fairly new to the business, so I've sent over a bit of feedback.

Testing the line isn't picking up the cause of the fault, so we'd look at adjusting the SNR margin first. If the connection doesn't improve over the next few days, it's likely that a BTOR visit would be the next port of call.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
arkestra
Hooked

Hi Emily

Thanks for your honesty about the agent errors, I really appreciate people being open in this fashion. These things happen and I'm happy to wait and see how the connection issues develop over the next few days. Although obviously it's a little frustrating your response is still streets ahead of TalkTalk, who were my previous provider (and who I ditched after we ended up without any landline connection at all for 4 weeks!).

Matt

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Matt.

I've just checked your account for you and things to have settled down:

From testing your line it looks like your connection is capped at 14mbps as a result of the drops you've experienced. So I've put through a request to reset the software in the exchange, which may improve your speeds.

Let us know how your speeds are after about an hour or so.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arkestra
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

http://www.speedtest.net gives me Download 15.44 Mps, Upload 0.93 Mps

Thanks,

Matt

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for coming back to us Matt.

Unfortunately it looks like the disconnections have started again:

As our tests aren't finding any possible causes of that, I'd recommend running through the steps in the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net completing the process to report a fault to us if you need to.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arkestra
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

I already have an open issue on #172062103 so have posted on that.

Have been on master test socket ever since problems first started more than a month ago. Have already had one engineer visit - replaced some old wiring but no definite fault detected.

Just tried replacing microfilter. If tgat doesn't work guess I will try an old modem?

Thanks,
Matt
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Matt.

Yeah it might be worth trying a different router just to rule it out as the next step would likely be to arrange an engineer visit which may incur a call-out charge if the problem is internal to your property.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arkestra
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

I swapped with a TalkTalk Huawei modem on Friday round about 23:00. Still getting dropouts.

Have updated this on the support ticket #172062103 but no-one responded to my last update a week ago so I'm not optimistic about getting movement from that route.

What would your suggestion be for my next step?

It's worth mentioning that both the PlusNet and the TalkTalk routers have entered a state where they lost the connection but power-cycling them restored the connection. Could there be some kind of physical problem with the phone line that would cause this?

I appreciate how hard it is to troubleshoot transient problems of this nature...

Thanks,

Matt

arkestra
Hooked

Have switched back to the PlusNet router - guess I will call the PlusNet support phone line and see if I can get any traction that way...