cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cannot be connected due to Open Reach call center closure in India

boydyaxley
Hooked

Broadband cannot be connected due to Open Reach call center closure in India

I am writing this to advise anyone who has been told their connection cannot be set up due to PlusNet not being able to contact Open Reach's call centre in India, while it's closed during Covid-19 lockdown.

I moved house recently and signed up with PlusNet, with a connection date ETA of 28/03. The date came and went, with no communication of a problem from PlusNet. When I called up to enquire was told, because of the call centre closure in India, the connection couldn't be set up at all until lockdown in India ended. Basically, PlusNet could not tell OpenReach to connect the line. This didn't match Open Reach's website, so I contacted another provider who set me up within the usual 2 week timeframe.

Not having a proper connection for over a month during lockdown was very frustrating. Luckily, we could hotspot off our phones, but this misinformation will be leaving vulnerable isolating with no connection at all during lockdown unnecessarily. So glad I didn't believe PlusNet customer services or I would have been without broadband for months!

If you are reading this because you are in the same position, you can cancel your contract if your connection hasn't been set up yet. Just go with someone else.

NB: OpenReach cannot set up new connections where they have to enter your home. However, they can set up existing connections from outside your property. See OpenReach's website for more info.

Whatever your situation, don't believe PlusNet when they give you the call centre closure excuse.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Broadband cannot be connected due to Open Reach call center closure in India

The suggestion reported here is different to the official message in Plusnet's CV19 communication.  It is possible that there is some confusion within the front line support staff.  No doubt the situation is complex and dynamic.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

boydyaxley
Hooked

Re: Broadband cannot be connected due to Open Reach call center closure in India

I would agree with you Townman.

Still, had I believed customer services, I would still be without a connection. Thus, I have written this post to advice others not to accept this answer. Whether it is true or simply confusion from support staff, it can be solved by going with another provider.

Cath1

Hi Townman,

I was about to start a new thread, but I’ve just read your reply to the OP.  I’m in a similar situation.

I moved house, and signed up with PlusNet, with a connection date 7th April. An Openreach engineer came on the day. There’s a BT socket in my flat, but the engineer found a fault outside the property. He couldn’t fix on the day and and was going to arrange for someone else to come in the next few days. He assured me that that I don’t need an in-home visit.

A week later I contacted Plusnet, who told me to wait for un update, as their ‘suppliers contact centre (which is located in India) is under complete lockdown which means that they are currently unable to attend work for us to acquire any updates for you.’ However, I had a look at the Openreach website and they still provide service.

At the moment I use mobile data for personal use, but I’m supposed to be working from home, so I need a secure and stable connection.

It’s hard to believe that nothing can be done, as I don’t need an in-home visit.

Can someone help please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Nikka @JonoH @Gandalf

Are there confused messages here? Surely BT Openreach has a contact centre in the U.K. where their U.K. engineers are? One understands that India is a bit of a mess at the moment but surely BT U.K. should be fielding the calls, for with or without India, resource management rests in the U.K.?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cath1

That’s what I think. I rang the call centre before and after Easter. They kept repeating the ‘lockdown line’. What else can I do?

boydyaxley
Hooked

Is it worth contacting another provider? Plusnet are saying they won't do anything until India lockdown is over, which will be weeks away, if not longer. You haven't anything to lose by trying someone else who may be able to set you up in a couple of weeks, but certainly no slower than PlusNet. I went with BT (who actually own PlusNet) if it helps. They said when I originally signed up that the call centre closure wouldn't be a problem. Of course, I was cynical until the line was active, but it did get connected when they said it would be (16 day wait from my first call to them)

Cath1

Thanks for advice. I might do tha and ask for a refund (I paid a fee for the engineer visit and paid upfront for the first month of service). I honestly don’t understand why they need to talk to a call centre in India to arrange for a UK based company to fix a line on a UK telephone pole. Madness...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

I am sorry for any confusion caused here. With regards to our suppliers, India did go into lockdown and this meant that the helpdesks we would usually contact for order updates were closed; this doesn't mean work wasn't happening in the background it just meant that we were unable to obtain updates.

With regards to new installs, our suppliers have closed their books until June in light of COVID-19, this is for the safety of both engineers and our customers. We do have provisions in place for vulnerable customers.

If no internal work is required (we are restarting a stopped line or taking over a working one) an order can be placed as normal and should progress as expected. Issues/ delays on occasion can occur though as with any provider; this is something we cannot pre-empt and whilst our supplier help desks were closed would not be able to get updates should this occur. Again, it doesn't mean it wouldn't progress in the background.

With that being said however, many of the help desks are now open.

@Cath1 I have chased an update on your order and provided a more detailed response on the account here for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team