cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband and phone faults

Stellenbosch

Broadband and phone faults

Is my experience typical?
I reported a broadband fault 10 days ago. Promises to do checks are made, and then all goes quiet. It is obvious that logs are not chased or followed up and that the only way to discover what is happening is to constantly enquire what is happening.
It is impossible to phone because there is a10 minute delay. I joined Plusnet because I was told their service was good. I think "TalkTalk" in their bad days were better than this.
Do I feel better for having a rant ? Not really. All I want is broadband.
They are hopeless, and once this is sorted I shall be off - any recommendations?
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband and phone faults

Hi,
I've just had a quick look at your fault ticket - you mention that your phone line itself is noisy and you weren't able to use the phone.  Is that still the case?
If it is, we need to raise a voice line fault which would be likely to resolve the broadband side of things when fixed.
I'm very sorry that it has taken so long so far.
Stellenbosch

Yes the phones are almost unusuable. I have tried using other phones but there is no improvement and they have also been tried in the master socket.
What is happening about my broadband? How can it take 10 days to resolve?
I have no confidence in PN's ability to resolve these issues. Why for example, was a voice test not done? It seems so blindingly obvious.
Finally, I have asked three time without success for the name and address of your MD. To use your terminology, I intend escalating my complaint.
I also expect a reduction in my next bill - how do I go about that? And after this is resolved, I shall definitly be leaving so you had better let me have a MAC.
This is a truly awful situation.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is your phone with Plusnet as well as the broadband?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi,
Our Chairman is Anthony Vollmer.  The address is the same as on the website - Plusnet, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY.
I'll see if I can get someone to raise your fault to BT as a voiceline fault.
Stellenbosch

Good morning,
Thank you. Ihave also written to Dave Marshall.
Again, what is happening re my broadband? 11 days have now passed and I have no information whatsoever as to what is happening, what action has been taken, what tests have been performed, the results of those tests, for how much longer we can expect to be without broadband?
As for the phones, I am not filled with confidence when you say that "you'll see if BT can do a voice mail check". What happens if they don't? The phones are now unusuable and so I can't even phone to wait 10 minutes to speak to someone at PN.
So, no broadband and no phone. How would you feel if if you were put in this position? Angry and frustrated. A year or two ago, I had an issue with Lloyds bank. To resolve it I stood outside their HQ with a suitable placard. I shamed them into resolving the issue. I can get to Sheffield within two hours and will repeat the placard treatment if I have to. Mr Vollmer and Mr Marshall's name will be on it. PN deals with customers by phone and email but not face to face and I think you lose sight of the frustration that such poor service can cause.
Finally, you are not dealing with some eccentric. I was the MD of Abbey, Spain and I ran a very successful bank, so much so that Santander bought.it. So, causing waves is no problem and I promise you I will if this issue cannot be resolved.
My letter to Vollmer and Marshall states that I shall arrive at your premises late morning of the Thursday 23 July. If I am unable to see either one of those two, or at least someone who can take this seriously and talk sense and get things done, then I shall deploy and use the placard routine having previously tipped of the local press.
So see you Thursday - I'm really looking forward to it.
D Phelan
James
Grafter

Hi,
What I am telling you is that you have a fault on the voice side of your telephone line.  Clearly as you're unable to use your telephones accordingly.  This is preventing you from having a useable broadband service.
Once the voice side fault is fixed, I'd expect the broadband side to follow suit.  I'm trying to get that escalated for you, placard or no placard.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Are you for real?
One of the conditions for ordering broadband from Plusnet is that you have a working telephone line. If you are expecting ADSL (which relies on passing electronic signals alone your phone line) to work when the line is so crap that it is unusable as a phone you are being very unreasonable. Once your phone line is fixed I would expect your broadband to spring in to life again without any further action*.
BT wholesale will only allow ONE open fault on your line. A broadband fault can only be raised if any voice fault is first closed. You should be insisting that Plusnet do NOT attempt to raise a broadband fault until the the problems with the piece of damp string that currently connects your house to the exchange is fixed. Only after that is corrected should broadband issues (if there are any) be addressed.
* When your broadband first comes up and you see your router syncing at normal speeds you may find speeds are slower than normal. This will be because BT will have automatically set an IP Profile to restrict your line to slower speeds in an attempt to keep it working. Speeds should return to normal within three days.
scarrabri
Grafter

Hey Power to the people  jelv,i think you must work for plusnet by how quick you were to defend them, and hi Stellenbosch,  now i can understand your anger  because it seems to me you have waited a long time for nothing to happen ,you very well might have a bad line ,but are you telling me jelv plusnet couldnt have done some thing to help Stellenbosch  out , even letting him no whats going on ,i hope you get sorted real quick Stellenbosch ,and i think you will find jelv ,Stellenbosch  is for real, power to the people, best wishes Brian Shocked
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

@scarrabi
I can tell you now that Jelv does not work for Plusnet, he is a customer just like me, so please bear that in mind.
Any more silly nonsense going on in this thread may result in it being locked without warning.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It would have helped if the OP had replied to the question posed in the simple first post I made in this topic instead of the post about standing outside the PN offices with placards having tipped off the local press.
Quote from: jelv
Is your phone with Plusnet as well as the broadband?

If the OP has a broadband only contract with Plusnet with the phones being through BT or another supplier, insisting Plusnet do something about the broadband would almost certainly result in the resolution being delayed.
If the OP has PN home phone as well, I do wonder if given the tone of his postings whether he has been totally focused on the broadband side when talking to the agents that be has bamboozled them to such an extent that they have lost sight of the fact that if the phone isn't working properly broadband is very likely to be affected and the phone issues should be addressed first. (If like most people the loss of the phone is a minor inconvenience if they have a mobile I can imagine him saying forget the phone I want the broadband fixed first). If that is the case it took a cool head like James to recognise the correct priorities and get the voice issues addressed first.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

*****Personal Opinion, and not that of a Moderator*****
@Jelv
I couldn't agree more, if the OP took his head out of the sand for more than a minute and realised that the voice fault was messing with his DSL connection then he wouldn't be finding the need to waste his money on placards and travelling to Sheffield for a rather wasted trip....

Some people eh.... Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The last post from the OP was 10:23 am on Friday. As James was looking at getting a voice fault reported Thursday night I hope (and suspect) all may be well again - I think we may have heard more otherwise!
scarrabri
Grafter

Quote from: Chemical
@scarrabi
I can tell you now that Jelv does not work for Plusnet, he is a customer just like me, so please bear that in mind.
Any more silly nonsense going on in this thread may result in it being locked without warning.

point taken, so Rants and Raves are not for ones own opinion and frredom of speach ,and if we disagree the thread will be locked without warning ? i happen to agree with Stellenbosch and please remember if years ago if people had not protested for our rights we would still be living in the dark age , Stellenbosch used this forum to rant and rave  and i can quite understand why ,what i dont understand is Any more silly nonsense going on in this thread may result in it being locked without warning. as a response
best wishes Brian Lips_are_sealed
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) [Quote fixed ]
avollmer
Grafter

Mr Phelan
This post has just been brough to my attention - please accept my apologies that your phone line fault has not been progressed quickly.  I will check that this is being sorted out quickly and we will be in touch.
Anthony