Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speeds

bitemarx
Dabbler

Broadband Speeds

Hi
I just got connected to Plusnet yesterday, and I've noticed that I'm only getting a download speed of 700kbps! This is even lower than the speed I used to get with the mobile broadband connection I was using earlier.
Is this normal during the first few days of being connected?
I've read that PLusnet gives an average connection speed of more than 4Mbps.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
M
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speeds

Hi there,
I'd say that it's part of the ten day stability period and you should notice a bit of improvement yet to come.
I'm a little concerned that the noise margin on the line is 18dB - which is high.
You might be able to improve this by ensuring that your router is connecting directly to your master telephone socket via a filter and also ensuring that all of your used telephone sockets are being filtered.
bitemarx
Dabbler

I suppose I should wait till the 10 days are over but I've tried the router on all the telephone sockets in my flat and they're all giving speeds of around 700kbps.
I'll try again after 10 days....meanwhile, is there anything I can do reduce this 'noise' that you refer to? Do you think the quality of the filter is significant? Or are they all of the same quality?
Thanks for replying
M
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: bitemarx
is there anything I can do reduce this 'noise' that you refer to?

Yes.
1. Simplify your wiring, disconnect any unneeded sockets and wiring completely.
2. Remove the bell wire everywhere
3. If you must have extensions use a filtered faceplate and connect the router at the master socket.
Prunesquallor
Dabbler

Re filters:-
I was suffering from poor speeds some time ago, and decided to pick up a new filter.  I got one from Tescos.  Speeds were just as bad, if not worse.  I wondered whether I'd bought a duff filter, and so I got another one.  That was just as bad.  Having eliminated the filters, we went to look at other things.  Finally I had a BT engineer round (which could have cost a lot of money).  He found that the line was giving 3Mb with his filter, 300k with mine.  The two filters I'd bought from Tescos were useless.  I got another filter from Argos, and immediately speeds shot up.  I was lucky that BT realised it wasn't my fault, and waived their charges.
The engineer recommended those filters with a short length of cable between the plug and the filter body, rather than those that plug straight into the socket.