Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband 10Gb Limits

Alsone1
Grafter

Broadband 10Gb Limits

Hi,
Just wanted to say I'm sick of the capped limits.
Talk talk offer Unlimited Broadband for much the same price.
If the caps on your deals aren't lifted then I'm off to another provider within the month as there are better deals around and I'm now out of contract.
Very disappointed that Plus Net are vending an archaic product in such a competitive market.
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband 10Gb Limits

Hi there,
I'm sorry you feel that way but I should point out that the 10GB usage is on our Value account, the account with the lowest price and lowest usage allowance. Our Extra account comes with 60GB usage and on both these accounts any usage between midnight and 8am isn't counted towards the total so for all intents and purposes that is unlimited.
There's also the increased allowances on our fibre accounts if that's available in your area.
If none of that helps you might wish to talk to our Customer Options team who'll be able to arrange something more suitable for your needs Smiley
Alsone1
Grafter

I should point outin return that Unlimited Broadband is available on Talk Talk's value account also - £3.25 per month, only 1p more than your offering.
They're also not the only provider offering this which just shows how out of touch with your customers you really are when it comes to product features:
http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/essentials
Customer service at Plus Net is great, but unfortunately the product offered doesn't match up to those from other providers.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Only fair to point out, also, that with TalkTalk you don't know exactly what you're signing up to:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/fup.html?utype=nonmember
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Alsone1
Customer service at Plus Net is great, but unfortunately the product offered doesn't match up to those from other providers.

Check out the offerings from other "quality" ISPs (eg Zen, Idnet, Goscomb. etc) You won't find an "uncapped" offering there either - should tell you something  Lips_are_sealed
OK I lied - Idnet DO have an uncapped package - only £1180pa
Good luck at TalkTalk
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Alsone1: Have a read of http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4266773 There's more to consider when choosing an ISP than just the price!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ossettbob
Grafter

I have been with Plusnet since 9/11/2012. I had problems initially with internet connection. Then I had problems with usage ( I seemed to be using far more of my allowance than I did with TalkTalk, even though I was doing less on my PC). My next problem was "spurious usage". One day, I used about 5 times the amount I used on other days. Plusnet admitted that it was not caused by me. My next problem was on Monday when I lost my Broadband for about 2 hours. All the problems did get sorted out, but it seems a bit much for these problems to occur within 18 days of joining plusnet. I must say though that Plusnet customer service is superb !!
I was a customer with TalkTalk since they first started free broadband. At first their service was terrible but then settled down. One point is that their customer service is terrible. I wanted to change my plan as the cost was going up and up. The alternative they offered wasn`t much less than I was paying. The special offers are only available to new customers. This is reason I moved to Plusnet. I do agree, however, that the 10GB allowance is very low. It has limited me in my use on PC.
If you go with TalkTalk be prepared for problems getting their service connected. Don`t know if they have improved but it took me about 2 months to get connected.
Razer
Grafter

I was a bit surprised by the seemingly low 10GB limit when I first checked out Plusnet. Then I put it into context: In the last two years of not having a landline, I have been paying a mobile provider £10/m for a paltry 1GB limit. Consider that; a measly 1GB for £10! I think that's truly appalling. It certainly tells you how much mobile providers are ripping people off. It was only in recent months that I was able to switch to £15/m for unlimited data (which was heavily choked). In signing up with PN, I was going to go for the 10GB, happily, but knowing I had so much to upload I went for the 60GB. Sadly, I didn't realise there was a laughable cap (which I had removed). As things have turned out in my first month (half a month, actually) I've been heavily distracted because I was put off uploading, and so have downloaded merrily. Next month I can concentrate on my uploads now that the cap is removed, knowing that with the still slow upload I won't come anywhere near my limit.
On the other side, in sorting out SMS with my landline, I have come to see once more just how much the phone operators are ripping people off with SMS charges in comparison to mobile providers, where in my previously mentioned £15/m package I got 3000 texts. It's about time the phone providers started including a wad of texts in our packages.
harps1h
Grafter

kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
On the other side, in sorting out SMS with my landline, I have come to see once more just how much the phone operators are ripping people off with SMS charges in comparison to mobile providers, where in my previously mentioned £15/m package I got 3000 texts. It's about time the phone providers started including a wad of texts in our packages.

One problem I have with pacakges, and their ever increasing size, it that they are a mask used to charge people more for a product that the majority don't need.
I barely use any texts on my mobile,  so having to my line rental increased to give me the benefit of free texts on my landline  would be annoying in the least!
As an optional extra,  it would be fine, but like the current packages, what was once optional becomes included.
What I really want is OFCOM to allow Naked DSL/Fibre,  but that's not likely to happen any time soon (if at all).
Razer
Grafter

I agree that additions are often used as masks; it would be better if you could simply get an add on.
cajef
Grafter

Alsone1
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
Only fair to point out, also, that with TalkTalk you don't know exactly what you're signing up to:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/fup.html?utype=nonmember

Oh I do know what I'd be signing up to - I came to Plusnet from Talk Talk!
Never had any issues of fair usage. Companies only usually apply that if your file sharing 24/7.
Fo me my usage is internet forums + watching oaccasional videos on Youtube. Even that often doesn't fit within a 10GB limit though.
Customer service isn't as good at Talk Talk admittedly but I'm afraid money talks and there are plenty of other ISP's providing broadband either unlimited or with 30GB limits on their basic packages eg:
Sky -                     Unlimited
Virgin Media -     Unlimited
EE Broadband - Unlimited
If you look on U Switch, Plus Net come 9th in the Top 10 deals and only 2 other packages are limited in download size with the other 7 all unlimited.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Alsone1
Oh I do know what I'd be signing up to - I came to Plusnet from Talk Talk!
Never had any issues of fair usage. Companies only usually apply that if your file sharing 24/7.

Silly question of the month coming up - why on earth then did you leave TalkTalk for Plusnet, knowing exactly what usage limits you would be getting for your bucks?
Alsone1
Grafter

Because at the time PlusNet were cheaper.
However, now Talk Talk are offering:
£9.50 per month line rental
£3.25 per month broadband (for 9 months) then £6.50
Unlimited uncapped usage
Thats £16 per month including line rental on an uncapped product even after the 1/2 price off ends. Plus Net is now around £25 per month!