Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bribed into potential new contract for sake of £5.99 router

muffinbubble
Hooked

Bribed into potential new contract for sake of £5.99 router

Hi,

Up to now I've not really had an issues with Plusnet. Well, saying that when I first joined they activated myself then shortly cancelled it so it had to be activated again but think that was a misunderstanding between BT and Plusnet.

Anyway, my contract is due for renewal, around the same time my line has been constantly dropping.

To cut a long story short an engineer arrived and said the line was fine and suspected the router as faulty, as did I.

I got in touch with the faults team who then informed there would be a charge of £5.99 to post the router. I questioned why I'm being charged when it's a problem with your own equipment, the technician said he understood and requested to speak to the manager.

I was then told that the manager said they'd drop the £5.99 fee to post the router if I renew a contract with them.

Wow. That is seriously poor. And in fact you've lost me as a customer and would rather go through the hassle of joining another provider after that pettiness (which I have done today). Good job Plusnet.

On top of this your technicians seem to lack basic knowledge of how the routers work. I did a master reset on my router which (as you'll hear from the call) I mention the username is setup@plusdsl.net and my external IP is wrong (I pay for the add on static IP). I asked several times how I change my username as at this stage I couldn't access the internet at all and was told I couldn't and the shipped out router would contain my details. So poor - after some research it seems the routers interface isn't the best and you first have to click disconnect, then go to advanced settings, broadband then enter your details. After doing that I was back online.

Frustrated to say the least. Whatever manager was spoken to is losing you business.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

14 REPLIES 14
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Bribed into potential new contract for sake of £5.99 router

There has always been a P&P fee unless you have either just started a new contract or signed up to a new one if you're still within one or on a rolling one, it is nothing new. 

There is nothing poor or petty about it I don't think asking £6 if still in contract or asking to renew to avoid that is too much, better than asking for the cost of a new Hub itself which would set you back £100. 

muffinbubble
Hooked

It's their equipment that is faulty, out of goodwill and courtesy it should have been sent out free to resolve a problem their equipment is causing. It's not the cost that's an issue, it's the principle. So my line has been down all over the place, I'm not given a router that is the issue for free unless I renew a contract? Why would I renew a contract given that customer service?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@muffinbubble 

My understanding is that what you psy for each month is your broadband connection. To get you started Plusnet also supply a free modem/router if you pay the P&P, which comes with a 12months guarantee. This is not rented or loaned to you and is not part of the ongoing service.

If this fails before the end of a contract, say 13 months into an 18 month contract then Plusnet will supply another if you effectively extend the contract, again if you pay the P&P. Bribery or making a reasonable offer? It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"To get you started Plusnet also supply a free modem/router "

Really? It is surely bought and paid for as part of the monthly payments? At the end of the minimum contracted term it is yours because you have bought it.

They supply a modem/router as part of your package, not "free" though.

When I had a fault and OR diagnosed a faulty router/modem PN, to their credit, sent a replacement at no cost to me. That wasn't the problem by the way. Again to PN's credit they sent out a prepaid return envelope. All at no cost to me. Therefore I think the O.P. is quite justified to expect not to pay anything for a replacement if still within the contracted minimum term.

The PN modem/router (Hub One), in my example, was nearly two years old.

Baldrick1

@newagetraveller 

I think you will find that if you dig into the Plusnet terms and conditions that you will find otherwise. Also there is no discounted price if you don’t take the ‘free’ router.

You might think it unreasonable but that’s the way it is. I suspect that the more expensive BT retail do things differently, especially now that they change for it if you leave and want to keep their router. You get what you pay for and Plusnet is a budget provider.

Moderator and Customer

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"I think you will find that if you dig into the Plusnet terms and conditions that you will find otherwise. Also there is no discounted price if you don’t take the ‘free’ router."

Which means it isn't free, as I indicated and you stated, incorretly, that it is free. A customer is paying for it.

PN should be consistent. Send out a replacement for a "faulty" item at no cost to all eligible customers, which they did for me, or levy the £5.99 to all.

It's called customer service which PN pride themselves on (sarcasm).😆

Baldrick1

Regardless of whether or not you take the router the price you pay does not change demonstrates that you are paying for the router? I'm afraid you'll have to explain the logic of this argument.

If Plusnet was consistent it would extend to offering loyal customers broadband for the same price as new customers!

Moderator and Customer

fizzyj
Grafter
Fixes: 6

Hi @ muffinbubble, sorry for the late response. I am sorry to hear the issues you have experienced. The £5.99 charge is for postage and packaging not the router. If there is anything I can assist with please let me know.

hi @ newagetraveller  just to confirm the routers are free when signing up as a new customer or re contracting. If they fail with in 12 months then we will send a replacement and don't charge p&p. We never charge for routers unless out of contract.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faisal J
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

@fizzyj wrote:

We never charge for routers unless out of contract.

So can you confirm that if a router failed say a couple of weeks before a contract end date that Plusnet will supply a replacement for the P&P charge without requiring the customer to take a new contract?

Moderator and Customer

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Baldrick1, if equipment provided at the start of a contract develops a fault during the period of that contract, we would look to issue a replacement at no extra cost,

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
muffinbubble
Hooked

Regardless, I disagree with it whether the router was charged or not, again it's the principal for the sake of a new contract and as a result of this my line is taken over tonight by another ISP. This was on top of the rising charges too, so time to move on.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

That is a shame and I am sorry to hear that @muffinbubble. I'm sorry that we couldn't change your mind but please do get back to us if you have any further queries.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Why on earth would anyone think that PlusNet should give away £100+ worth of router without the guarantee of future income from it? It’s lucky that some folk don’t try running their own business, they wouldn’t last long!

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
muffinbubble
Hooked

Firstly if you think the router is worth "£100+" more fool you, and secondly, loyalty. And thirdly they've lost business because of that decision so I'd advise the same to you.