cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Member and I'm Worried...

ronroam1
Grafter

Brand New Member and I'm Worried...

Placed order for Plusnet Broadband yesterday. Yesterday got stuck on setting up email so sent question via support assistant.Got email back saying a response would be issued in 2 hours or so. NOTHING received nearly 24 hours later.
tried calling plusnet on 08451400200 number but got message that calls were taking 10 minutes to answer.YET, plusnet 'stats' indicate that calls are currently being answered in less than a minute and they only have 1 call waiting?!!
Please tell me I made the right decision in moving to Plusnet....!!
20 REPLIES 20
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Brand New Member and I'm Worried...

Welcome to the forum and of course plusnet,did you make the right choice?have you got a crystal ball?time will tell,any problems be sure to come back on the forums,great help here from plusnet and other customers,i come to the forums mostly for help rather than phoning or raising a ticket and geting a sore arm Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yesterday got stuck on setting up email

If you'd like to explain your problem then I'm sure the people on here will try to help you.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ronroam1
Grafter

Thanks for the welcomes, guys! That itself is reassuring.
When I set up the initial email address yesterday I did not do my homework very well and the resulting 'primary' email address is not what I want. My rather simple question is: can I change my primary email address now it's registered.
I would like to have my nickname@surname.plus etc.
I appreciate that I can have additional email addresses and these are re-directed.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

AFAIK you can't change it, and that's the very reason I don't use mine. You can have as many aliases as you like, and if one starts getting spammed - just change it
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The one part you can't change is the part after the @ which is your main username.
Before the @ you can have anything you want
ronroam1
Grafter

Does that mean that I can change the primary email address - at least the first part ie newname@username.plusnet?  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes
This is the main spot for adding and removing email addresses https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings
This is worth a read http://www.plus.net/support/email/newemail.shtml?supporta=addaddress
You can change the contact email address here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0 but ensure you have setup the email address first and that it has been activated. I think it takes about half an hour
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does that mean that I can change the primary  email address

If that's what I think you mean then yes. You can rename your default mailbox see section 2 of this https://portal.plus.net/support/email/mmm_overview.shtml.
But you can also create additional mailboxes, they are not just redirects they are completely separate mailboxes, so why not just create an additional mailbox for 'nickname'. You can also redirect the 'catch all' mailbox to any of your mailboxes. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ronroam1
Grafter

Many thanks to you both. I'm going to give your suggestions a try after getting some nourishment.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and technically you can has as many prefixes as you like, I give all my contacts a unique one so I can check if they pass it on
ronroam1
Grafter

Yes, great idea. I was, incredibly, coming to the same conclusion as I read the email info pages. It would be an excellent way of identifying the respondents to any specific subject etc.. Smiley
ronroam1
Grafter

Looking at the default email information it seems that I cannot change my username after @. Can you confirm that is correct? Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

To quote OldJim above
The one part you can't change is the part after the @ which is your main username.
Roll_eyes

ronroam1
Grafter

Please forget my last post ; just re-read Oldjim's earlier response which confirms that my username cannot be changed.