Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing notices

magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: Billing notices

in this DD instruction  case
plusnet  allow the same time to  warn a customer as the time it may take  for the customer to cancel
magnetism2772
Grafter

I've just looked at my ACCOUNT details
it shows the  same  3  day advanced warning or  agreed too  time? DD guarantee
I will report it to my bank
magnetism2772
Grafter

from
Online banking Payments & Transfers - Direct Debit Information
Nationwide -  Canceling a Direct Debit Arrangement -
If the payment you wish to cancel is due to leave your account on the next working day, you must cancel the direct debit arrangement by 3.30pm.
If this deadline has passed or the payment is due out of your account today, please do not continue with this request online.
Please call the bank
Please note that when you cancel a Direct Debit, all payments within this arrangement will cease. It is not possible to cancel just one month's payment and then reinstate the arrangement from the following month. Once a Direct Debit has been cancelled, we are unable to reinstate it unless the originator contacts us with your authority.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Morning all,
As giro states there the direct debit guarantee is in place to protect the customer, it's not there to give leverage to companies like us to cause problems for customer. As an ISP that's won awars for customer service that's in the least of our interests.

the trouble is that numerous people have tried this and the expertly PN programmed computer says, hey this person is a bad risk and cuts then off

Customer's who do this are not automatically flagged as 'bad payers' we do have a failed billing process which does rely on some automattion but whether a customer is repeatedly having issues making payment for any reason human discretion is used on a case by case basis.
don't remember seeing that when I filled in my bank details. Three days is just plain daft, what happens if you are on holiday? It also says immediate refunds but people are saying they have to wait two weeks. I must to admit to hating DD after BT took £850 by mistake which I only discovered whilst on holiday and tried to draw out some spending money. Apart from mucking up our holiday it took weeks to get the money back.

Just wanted to reply to this too, at the moment if we have to refund a customer via direct debit the lead time is 7 to 10 working days as it has been for a very long time. However if you request a refund via the bank as part of the direct debit guarantee it can be quicker but this is dependant largely on the bank themselves.
All feedback is being taken on board as usual here and I invite anyone with any specific concerns or issues about their billing (such as giro's multiple direct debit notifications) to shout up and I'll be more than happy to look into it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My orginal comment was the lack of detail of how much is going to be charged.
As usual this month I received notice that my subscription for my broadband would be deducted on the 4th. However, there was no mention of my home phone or how much was going to be deducted in either case. We have to place our trust in PlusNet to get it right but would PlusNet trust us the customer to pay dues without checking? I rather think not.
If you bill someone you tell them how much you are billing them and what for, at least that's how I've always conducted business. I can just imagine the response if someone sent a notice to PlusNet to say on the 4th August we are going to deduct an unknown amount from you account.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi George,
I completely agree. It is possible to tell to a degree what the precise bill will be before it's deducted by looking at the subscription amount for the account and also any line rental charges, that information is available from your account summary on the portal. The difficulty comes in the fact that there are variables involved such as any additional broadband usage above the usual included allowance and also any phone calls that need to be taken into account.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nadger
Rising Star

My monthly email always says how much will be deducted and the date.
A quick visit to Account details/View transactions gives me all the details, should I require them.
magnetism2772
Grafter

Plusnet is still missing  the point here about peoples concerns it says you allow a  3 day advanced warning
if changes are made to customers monthly DD , and it is fixed
the DD guarantee protects the banking customer on this issue by stating the company
in this case plusnet)must give adequate time for a person to cancel any disputed DD payment being taken from their bank  acc
If it could take up to 3 days for a bank to cancel an instruction then plusnet 3 days
could be disputed  for not allowing enough time to make a cancellation
If  a plusnet user does cancel a DD all future instructions of that DD are also canceled
and  if it turns out to be an overcharge by  plusnet, it will mean setting up the whole DD payment schedule again
and who would want to do that ? I personally would not set up instructions for a second time if it was their error
If it happens,  pay monthly by debit card   , probably a good idea to pay on the debit card anyhow.
looks to me like plusnet can easily damage a customers DD Bank  instruction and a customers goodwill towards their company with this lousy 3 day advanced warning notification
it says on their DD guarantee  3 days or an agreed time
so how about plusnet then pow wowing , until any advanced DD change warning actually is agreed  too by me and any others
then  alter it so that as the DD guarantee states
the customer will be given enough time to cancel   ?
tiscali, opal give 2 weeks advanced warning

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You must have a different arrangement to me then because I only get told after the money has been taken and that goes for looking at account details.
Quote from: nadger
My monthly email always says how much will be deducted and the date.
A quick visit to Account details/View transactions gives me all the details, should I require them.

magnetism2772
Grafter

If they fail to give you adequate advance warning  -  a company are  breaking the rules of the DD guarantee scheme and customers  should notify their banks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well, I am a Free-online/Plusnet member and I get two e-mails one with he total amount that is going to be taken from the bank in three days - BB& phone, plus a link to the member centre to look at the datails
the other e-mail is a notification of the referrals amount and to what bill it will be applied to
e-mail dated 25th  £5.99 BB  + £11.25 + £0.99 caller display - £0.50 referrals
This advance notice is to let you know that a payment of £17.73, for your
PlusNet Internet account will soon be taken, on or after 28/07/2010. This
email is for your information only, as no action is necessary on your part
to complete this payment.

magnetism2772
Grafter

3  - 3 = 0
if a bank can take 3 days  to cancel  a DD instruction once it has been given the instruction
just like a cheque can do
to prevent a wrong amount from being withrawn from a bank acc
and if plusnet only give a customer  3 days advanced notice of updated payments
and only by email
and not by normal post
what time does a customer have to make cancellations ?
many banks even want the customer to cancel by writing to bank which would  1st class post arrive to the bank  on day2
when the guarantee states
-it  guarantees enough time-
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: glloyd
I pay my account by credit card but I have also started paying my son's account by DD.

You should find that the advance notice to your son's account contains the amount to be billed. The advance notice for your account won't. This is due to the different processes used depending on whether your account is paid by Direct Debit or credit/debit card. If you find that this isn't the case then do let us know so that we can look into it further.
Let's assume your billing date is the 4th of each month.
When paying by Direct Debit, the notification email is actually sent on the 4th, the request for payment is submitted to our intermediary and the funds clear 3-4 days or so later. Because the email is sent on the billing date our system /knows/ how much you're due to be billed for the month prior.
For credit/debit card payers, the advance notice is sent three days *before* your billing date so the system isn't clever enough to know how much you're going to be billed - especially when you consider call/bandwidth charges and things like that that could be accrued during the interim period between the advance notice being sent and you being billed.
It's before my time but I'm almost 100% sure we built the credit/debit card billing engine before the Direct Debit stuff was done. To further complicate the situation there are two distinctly different methods of generating invoices depending on the account type you're subscribed to.
It does not seem right that you cannot dispute a DD payment (or a credit card payment for that matter) before it is taken. It could put somone in a very dodgy situation if a very large amount is requested by mistake.

Just so we're all clear, the post that started this thread is due to the way we handle card payments and has nothing whatsoever to do with Direct Debit payments or the Direct Debit guarantee. You do raise a valid concern about the advance notice for card payers, however I'm pretty sure there isn't a legal obligation for us to do this?
Quote from: geofftswin
Most of the problems with incorrect billings relates to the fact that everybody contacts PN to obtain the refund.  This is incorrect - you should contact your bank who will deal with the refund:

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the trouble is that numerous people have tried this and the expertly PN programmed computer says, hey this person is a bad risk and cuts then off

The 'expertly PN programmed computer' is by and large a human being! Wink
If you request a Direct Debit refund via your bank then a 'Chargeback' will be generated on our system. Unless the process has changed since  I last looked into it, these Chargeback requests are handled manually. Basically our Finance guys will assess the account, make a call as to whether or not we're at fault, and if we're not put the account into a failed billing state so that we can chase the customer to recover the outstanding monies.
Quote from: giro
If they fail to give you adequate advance warning  -  a company are  breaking the rules of the DD guarantee scheme and customers  should notify their banks

I'm quite sure we've visited this before and we're not in breach of any banking rules.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

magnetism2772
Grafter

so plusnet give customers 3days advanced notice of any differing payments the same time payment is taken
that the plusnet  stipulated 3 days advance warning guarantee is no such   thing
that the money is already taken
and it is  in fact the time  a bank needs to reflect   change balances  in a persons bank account
Angry I  had already drawn this conclusion

I'm quite sure we've visited this before and we're not in breach of any banking rules.

unless plusnet can post up the evidence for this tested for the purpose of a county court that it does not break the  rules of the Direct Debit guarantee

otherwise
I'd  be  personally willing  to  test it should you  occasion  this to happen to me  personally

magnetism2772
Grafter

I  want plunets (so  called 3day advance notification) on my DD guarantee that  is posted in my account
altered to allow me sufficient time to cancel any DD that could be wrongly taken by their 3rd party from my bank
as it states in the DD rulings