cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Below Standard Wiring & Unusual Hot Weather Causes Major Problems

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Below Standard Wiring & Unusual Hot Weather Causes Major Problems

Who should I happen to bump into today on my way to the post office but a BT Engineer working on my FTTC Cab.

I have had major problems with my fibre broadband over the last few months and after all of the tickets raised and OpenReach engineer visit my broadband is still in the toilet, the only replies I have had from PlusNet are "WE HAVE TESTED YOUR LINE AND FOUND NO PROBLEMS" & "YOU ARE WITHIN ESTIMATES"

I spoke to the BT guy working on the cab and asked him politely what he was up to, he replied just fixing a few issues because of some below standard wiring, I told him I had a few problems with my broadband and I am connected to the cab he was working on and could he check my connection to which he replied you will have to raise it as a fault before I can look into it. he then asked what kind of problems and I replied I've dropped from 65Mbs to around 45Mbs and it hasn't changed for months, like I've been capped or DLM isn't working.

He said yes probably heat as effected the DSLAM and DLM is holding you at 50Mbs band which is a know issue with ECI Cabs because of the compact size, very little space inside and poor ventilation.

Not much I can do about that he said, BT should never have implemented ECI cabs but they are cheap and save BT money and look better than the larger Huawei cabs.

Interesting stuff ?

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
19 REPLIES 19
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Below Standard Wiring & Unusual Hot Weather Causes Major Problems

Not much I can do about that he said, BT should never have implemented ECI cabs but they are cheap and save BT money and look better than the larger Huawei cabs.

Insider information Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Doubtful.  Nothing he said rings true with known facts.

- The ECI M41's were supposedly more expensive than the Huawei MA5616T's
- Temp is constantly monitored.
- If anything the ECI cabs are too well ventilated.  It's why Openreach had to install heat-pads in them for when the temperature drops to below 10°C

--------

PS.
Why has a mod moved this from the 'Fibre' section to 'Plusnet feedback'.   Its nothing to do with Plusnet.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

>>> DLM is holding you at 50Mbs

I'm not familiar with your line, so Im speaking without knowing the full facts and if it could be applicable to you..  but
1) We have seen many cases of  DLM 'stuck capped speeds'.  This is not cab related.
2) A sudden drop in speed is likely to be cross-talk.  I lost 9Mb the other week when a new cross-talker came on line.   All in all Ive 'lost' 32/33 Mbps of speed now due to cross-talk.  Nothing Plusnet or Openreach can do about it.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Hey I'm just relaying what a Professional BT Engineer told me and would in all honesty believe what he has to say than conjecture on another forum.

I myself am an Electronics Engineer and have in the past designed and built PSU's "Power Supply Units" for Weir Electronics "TV PSU's"

I do know that thermal stresses can cause all major of problems and is the bane of the electronics industry.

A prime example is heat related issues in modular design "PC's use modular design and there are many know cases when people would have to reseat Ram Modules or Graphics Cards due to thermal stresses even in extremely well ventilated cases.

Prime components in electronics know to cause many issues are Electrolytic Capacitors these are temperature rated and the highest rating I have seen is 105 degrees centigrade.

Another case 'n point is caps have a tendency to dry out this changes the rated value and is not an actual failure.

All in all I would say the information he gave me is very viable and highly likely.

On the other matter of Crosstalk.

Check the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstalk

As the above info will show there are many different kinds of crosstalk but it all boils down to the same thing "Interference" and although it cannot be completely eradicated good filtering will normally deal with it.

Hope this clears things up for you.

All the best

Excalibre68

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
chenks76
All Star

a "Professional BT Engineer"?

or might it have been an openreach engineer who was just wanting you to [-Censored-] off and leave him to get on with his work and say anything to get you to go away

or might it have been a MJ Quinn sub-contractor who just made up any old [-Censored-] to make him look clever in front of you.
Excalibre68
Rising Star

What a witty reply, how long did it take you to think that one up Crazy3

Stop trolling Knuppel

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Excalibre68   There are quite a number of contributors on this forum with significant experience in both Electronics AND Telecommunications technologies so no lessons needed!

@kitz is a long standing and well respected contributor with a good track record in helping to resolve many problems over the past 10 years or so.

On the subject of trolls.  Try holding up a mirror to find a close approximation of one.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Leaving derogatory comments doesn't help anyone.

You have your opinion and I have mine. "It' is a democracy"

Stop flaming my posts and get a life. Knuppel

chenks76
All Star

@Excalibre68 wrote:

What a witty reply, how long did it take you to think that one up Crazy3

Stop trolling Knuppel

there's certainly a troll amongst us, but i might suggest that you are looking in the wrong direction.
looking at your other posts and threads, i think it's clear which direction the troll is in.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Not sure what posts you are talking about but all the posts I've made have been information only.

Maybe you need glasses m8 Crazy

And flaming my posts just shows your mentality.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

kitz
Aspiring Pro

>> Hey I'm just relaying what a Professional BT Engineer told me and would in all honesty believe what he has to say than conjecture on another forum.

That's fair enough. I just happened to point out that what he said didn't quite add up.
DLM will NOT be holding you back at the 50Mbps band just because you're on an ECI cab. If you want to believe it, then of course that is your choice.
Likewise, if you post something which doesn't make sense, then someone pointing this out doesn't make them a troll 😕

>> Check the link:

I'm very aware of what crosstalk is thank you.
It's specifically FEXT that causes most of degradation when it comes to xDSL lines.

However, I'm afraid you are wrong - it can NOT be dealt with by filtering.
It requires a very specific form of noise cancellation technique ie G.993.5  (G.vector)

>> Hope this clears things up for you.

Smiley

Excalibre68
Rising Star

However, I'm afraid you are wrong - it can NOT be dealt with by filtering.
It requires a very specific form of noise cancellation technique ie G.993.5  (G.vector)

>> Hope this clears things up for you.

Smiley

Vectoring Technology

The technology uses noise cancellation, in a similar way to noise-cancelling headphones, to increase data speeds on existing copper infrastructure.

Vectoring technology measures and cancels interference across hundreds of lines over the full frequency spectrum they occupy

The interference is filtered by subdividing the spectrum into narrow frequency bands, known as tones, and filtering each tone independently.

Note The Words "Filtered & Filtering"

I know it's not as simple as filtering main hum on a PSU but I stand by what I posted.

You may also find interesting:- Nonlinear filtering algorithms for vector processing machines

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0898122180900401

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

And, like the vast majority of lines, yours probably doesn't have vectoring. Modems that provide detailed stats can show if vectoring is in use or not.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

ejs, you are absolutely correct my friend most broadband lines use interleaving.

Interleaving involves the use of powerful error-correction algorithms to improve broadband speed and stability on long or noisy phone lines. We use it as a matter of course on our broadband lines including BT Infinity lines where the connection between the street cabinet and your home is over copper cable.

While interleaving helps make your broadband faster and more stable, it can also increase the delay (latency) of your connection by up to 40ms (milliseconds). While most people wouldn't normally notice this, it can adversely affect some delay-sensitive applications such as certain online games.

DLM will NOT be holding you back at the 50Mbps band just because you're on an ECI cab.

I didn't say it was because I'm on an ECI cab just that my speed seems locked at around 50Mbs, and I read on your site somewhere it might be it's just stuck.

I have great admiration for Kitz and believe it's a great source of info and help.

All the best.