cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Student Friendly - Stop the hardened credit checks for 30 day sim only mobile contracts, please!

thel

Be Student Friendly - Stop the hardened credit checks for 30 day sim only mobile contracts, please!

Hi

PlusNet mobile is not student friendly. I think PlusNet mobile needs to change the way it runs credit checks. Twice now I've tried to sign up for two deals. I was so confident that I cancelled my present contract (also a 30-day sim only). I am a student. I rent my own flat, pay my own bills -utility, broadband, mobile - by direct debit and I have never had this hassle, not even once!

The first time, I was told it might be an issue of address. I called my bank to change my billing address to my residential (term time). This time, it was a credit check fail! WhatHuh I don't even use a credit card.

If I need to have credit history to sign up for a 30-day contract, where I'm paying for the full contract term right away by debit card, and will be paying upfront each period of the rolling contract by direct debit, THEN we can see why the young people of this country are getting so easily and quickly embroiled in the quagmire of debt!

If I were taking a loan, or getting something on credit, that would be different. If I were taking a 12-month contract, maybe that would be understandable. By the way, my energy & broadband suppliers didn't see fit to bother me at all, and I haven't seen fit to change them. Smiley

You guys need to look into this. For a sim-only 30-day contract, it's really a waste to do this "full credit check". And then I have to wait 5 business days before I get refunded. You should have concluded on your check before attempting to charge my card upfront. It just doesn't make sense.

Now I either go back hat in hand to my current mobile provider or start shopping for another with a better offer than them and less ridiculous terms than we've got here. So sad!

2 REPLIES 2
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Be Student Friendly - Stop the hardened credit checks for 30 day sim only mobile contracts, plea

I'm sure someone commented here fairly recently that your address no longer affects your credit score.  (I know in the past that if you moved into a property previously occupied by someone with a bad credit history it 'rubbed off' on you.)

Having a credit card (only one mind you) and using it responsibly might actually improve your creditworthiness.  It seems that having credit and not defaulting makes lenders etc. more likely to give you more credit.  I certainly know that as soon as I paid off my mortgage I became a non-person as far as credit providers were concerned.  Hooray, no more junk mail offering 0% interest if only I would transfer my credit card balance to X, Y or Z!

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Be Student Friendly - Stop the hardened credit checks for 30 day sim only mobile contracts, plea

I'm guessing this is because the product is a rolling 30 day contract with the expectation for payment to be made monthly in advance until notice is given on the contract and it is paid up to the end of the notice period.

Possibly a PAYG SIM would be better for you? This wouldn't require a credit check.