cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth being throttled during the day ?

The_10th
Grafter

Re: Bandwidth being throttled during the day ?

Quote from: David
Quote from: BorgWales
I don't like this Midnight till dawn thing either. Most ppl are in bed then. Its a con

Most non-LLU ISP's don't even do that, they give you a limit (say 20Gb) and that's it, if you download at 4am it's coming out of your allowance.  You can download 100+Gb off peak easily and PN won't say a word, how many other ISP's will let you download 100Gb and not blink an eye?

A bit harsh saying it's a con imho. More of dubious benefit as it would be reasonable to think most are asleep but I would say an option for those who wish to avail of it. The devil is in the detail and this would be beyond headline grabbling download limits but instead the rate at which you can download a particular stream of data, e.g. P2P or download site for instance. What is the point in having 100Mbps 'possible' speed but then differentiated services comes into play and end up with speeds not far off POTs dial-up?
WebDude
Grafter

Quote from: The
What is the point in having 100Mbps 'possible' speed but then differentiated services comes into play

While having higher speed would be nice, for some aspects (file sharing, file downloading, downloading from USENET) it can be left to run as a background task.  I can see why (for someone out during the day, and unable to be up half the night because of office hours, Plusnet Pro may be the best option, but if they want more data, they either (a) pay the extra cost, (b) set things up to download overnight (if necessary buying some alternative low power, low noise, hardware, such as an Asus EEE box) or (c) consider alternative ISPs (if there are any) for higher quantities of traffic.
I suspect that there are few deals around quite as tempting as the 'Extra' account, for the money, unless one is close to an exchange and can get LLU provided by another ISP.  Have to admit that in the past 6 months I've not been following how much data is allowed for without problems on other ISPs - Entanet (via resellers) used to offer large download quantities but not available that widely, AFAIK.  So one has to tolerate lower speeds or overnight traffic or pay more, possibly pay much more, and overall, compared with 8+ years ago (when 30 to 40 quid allowed you 500 kbps at most) we (mostly) get much better value for hard-earned money.
TicnTac
Grafter

What part of Canada ?

Saskatchewan - if I've spelt that correctly  Roll_eyes Been out there now for 6 years and loves everything there!