Did you mean: 

BTOR engineer fails to do a fair job - ticket 63223897

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

BTOR engineer fails to do a fair job - ticket 63223897

Hi,
There are many stories on here of when BTOR get it wrong, so I thought it only fair to tell one story of them getting it reasonably right.
My problem is described in detail elsewhere on these forums, in short I am seeing 6dB or more difference beyween day and night SN levels with at times unusable broadband.  The transition times seem to be similar to the switching on / off of the street lights, the BT drop cable rests on the power line joining the street lights.
BTOR engineer booked for Saturday (today) 1pm to 6pm.  Engineer arrived on time at 1pm prompt (good start).  He was keen to listen to the user's perception of the problem before testing the line (even better).  Though he found no fault with his test equipment, he suggested that a revisit be arranged for just before the street lights get turned on (great idea) and that though the usual appointment planning is "am or "pm" this should not be impossible.
Just as he was about to leave, his remote test system informed him that there was a fault which his test kit did not identify.  Though he said "this is a POTS job", he replaced the NTE5 box and faceplate with the latest BTOR version and said that HE would arrange for the drop wire to be rerouted / replaced - rather than passing the task for this back to PN.  Possibly the only complaint that I might have is that he might not have done all that PN requested as his tests passed without fail - something that one always fears with intermitant or time based issues.
IMHO this is how it should work - once the job has been sent to BTOR, they accept full responsibility for following through any consequential issues / requirements.
I mentioned to him some of the stores written on here about BTOR performance and he admitted that the contractors are a challenge and that the service is overloaded with work, citing both the many months of persistent rain and the volume of new house installations.
Though my problem is not yet resolved, I do feel that the work is in hand - let's hope that the follow through does not disappoint me!   Cheesy
Edit: Post title change in the light of information that BTOR simply passed the responsibility back to PN - shambles on BTOR's part!   Sad

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BTOR engineer does a fair job - ticket 63223897

Well I'm so glad you had a decent engineer, and the fact that he was prepared to try and get a cherry picker out there the same afternoon or tomorrow to deal with the drop-wire was brilliant. It's a shame that they aren't all as conscientious, even though it's a small minority that are poor, it gives the rest a bad name.
NedLudd
Grafter

Have to agree that there are some brilliant BTOR guys out there. When my fibre was installed, Danny, the BTOR guy couldn't do enough. He even pulled cable through the loft (it's a bungalow) to site the kit in the best place for me!
Hot drinks and friendly banter works wonders!
Geoff,
York.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I unreservably withdraw my praise to the BTOR processing of this fault.  The visiting engineer stated that he would progress the additional work required, here is PN's update on the ticket this morning...
[quote author= Ticket 63223897 JB - BOT - DSL Logged Faults 9:16am, Thursday 27 Dec 2012**INTERNAL**]
Fault was in clear since 22/12
Rejected and sent back to BTW
Will echat as EU's comments state work required on drop wire
BOT - DSL Logged Faults 9:47am, Thursday 27 Dec 2012**INTERNAL**
Echat ref: 190066434
Agent (09:27:55):
J I have checked the engineer notes as per his notes the supplier would need to raise a PAT fault to get the issue resolved.
Agent (09:37:59):
They will pass the case to diagnostic team to raise a PAT fault. need to check the tracker for the updates by 04/01/2013.
Agent (09:39:14):
The PAT fault ref will be updated in 2-4 hours in the supplier system.
PAT fault raised, ERT 4/1/13

Those bad people at BTOR failed to deliver their promise of dealing with the follow-up to this problem within their own organisation .  How very disappointing  Angry
New Year Resolution - BTOR must learn to do better!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Re: BTOR engineer fails to do a fair job - ticket 63223897

Now I'm confused - that's not according to the ticket response you put on your other thread. You also need to distinguish between what BT OR said and what the monkies at BTw have done. The response on your other thread is a later ticket response than the above. Phone Plusnet and ask to speak to your faults agent to give you an "english" translation of the response.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

AO,
So am I!  BTOR guy visited site around 15:45 today and said they need to get that drop wire off the power line.  Gang and platform will be on site 08:30 to 09:00 tomorrow morning.
He also passed a comment that a number of lines on my exchange have been suffering drop out issues....  Crazy Crazy

Anotherone
Champion

Sounds to me like the OR man did just what he said he'd do. And there sounds like there may be an u/g fault as well.
I'd add the info to the ticket so that PN know what's going on, they may get confused with intervening rubbish from BTw. But I'd still ring up and ask for a translation, I like to know that as well.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@DCT...
Do not know if there has been some confusion here between what BTOR engineer said he would do and the updates on my ticket [63223897] which suggested that the problem got passed back to PN.
Anyhow, drop wire replaced and other adjacent redundant drop wires (also on power line) were removed.  PN performed a prompt SNRM restet (thank you) and performance (at present during daylight) is very markedly improved.
Do not know it is possible for you guys to clarify 'drop-out' problems on RUncorn East exchange... this morning's conversation with the very friendly BTOR bods suggested that this spate of local issues was POTS related.  All a bit over my head.  Crazy

Anotherone
Champion

You need to add all that relevant information to your ticket, the faults guys won't be reading this thread. Also the impression they get of the situation may be different from reality after BTw had added their "interpretation" to whatever information OR feed back. And as I said earlier you need to ask the faults guys direct for a translation of that stuff on the ticket.
Judging by what you've been told, the "local" issues will be in your area, not the whole of the Runcorn East exchange. It sounds like there is some sort of cable problem, probably underground but that's a guess, affecting a noticeable number of subscribers. You need to check your phone periodically to see if you can hear any noise, especially when the SNRM is going a bit wild. Cable problems are POTS issues and generally best dealt with that way even when they affect BB, but it's necessary to have a demonstrable POTS problem. If you ring up after adding the info to the ticket, you can get an english explanation of the previous ticket stuff and get them to run a line test at the same time to see if a fault shows that they can use to get OR on the job.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Definitely worth putting that on the ticket, though I've just run a line test on the phone side of things looking for noisy line issues and that test came up clean. Not sure if it could be some other issue that's worth checking for but our faults team will investigate as required either way Smiley
Anotherone
Champion