BT retail cuts the price of FTTC

Will plusnet follow suit on its upcoming product refresh ? Smiley
Cheers f9o
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT retail cuts the price of FTTC

At the moment I don't believe there's plans to but we'll have to wait for more announcements regarding any product refresh as and when it comes along.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Link please! I have not found anything about permanent price cuts, only the usual months half price cone ones. Undecided Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Force9Original
Grafter

x47c
Grafter

Suggests to me maybe they are finding it difficult to get people to swap over to FTTC.
As I've said before
In rural areas where there is little FTTC being installed often customers have only bare 2mbps or so currently and would jump at FTTC.
But BT aren't being very proactive in doing these areas.
Meanwhile in more urban/surbaban areas where BT are putting in lots of FTTC
These are already on 21CN/ADSL2+ and probably on on shorter lines getting 15mbps are looking at FTTC and seeing an extra £XX per month and saying no way can I justify it.
Locally I know that people (residents) are simply not interested in 25+mbps, trying to get them to  register their interest in getting FTTC to the local exchange on the openreach site  - forget it.
Businesses might be a different issue
Not that you think that from reading ADSL forums where the absense to FTTC at a property means the end of life as we know it!
dfunked
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
Meanwhile in more urban/surbaban areas where BT are putting in lots of FTTC
These are already on 21CN/ADSL2+ and probably on on shorter lines getting 15mbps are looking at FTTC and seeing an extra £XX per month and saying no way can I justify it.

Try telling that to whoever is in charge of the Bermondsey exchange!
I live a mile as the crow flies from Canary Wharf, and at this very moment am absolutely chuffed that my connection has been boosted to 3.3Mbps after upgrading to ADSL2!
I would sell one of my testicles for a decent connection right now, but it isn't going to happen for another year apparently.
Having said that, it still seems prohibitively expensive to me... Are BT's standard ADSL prices seriously that high already????
Heloman
Grafter

I live less than a mile from my exchange in Bath and my connection averages 2800Kbps.
FTTC became available recently, but I'm on Value and it would cost me £16 instead of my current £6 pcm.
I don't do gaming, P2P etc and so decided that although a faster speed would be very handy I couldn't justify the extra cost of  £120pa.
(I'm a pensioner!)
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

My interest is somewhat academic, but TBH I can never fathom BT costs without a slide rule, calculator, and advanced tome on astrophysics. Roll_eyes Grin
My set up is the anytime phone package with rental paid year in advance, broadband Extra, Market 3. What would BT's charges be  for me after the initial discounted period? Can't see that  BT reduce charges for Market 3 either. Time for Specsavers at least for a cleaning cloth? Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

3-4Mbps is ample for surfing and most streaming applications (apparently there is no website on the planet capable of delivering streaming content at more than about 7mbps)
High bandwidth comes into its own for those regularly downloading huge film files or desktop I-player content, but even for gamers reliability and low latency are surely the most important requirements?
In these cash-strapped times I'm not surprised that the upgraded services are sometimes struggling to sell, although I appreciate why some people receiving less than the bare minimum service would be prepared to sell valued parts of their anatomy for a decent connection.  Smiley
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

40gb usage a month so with the extra speed that will catch people out of with Extra bandwidth addons.  How many families would use that in a week let alone a month without knowing, only the full price unlimited is realistic package.  So would say they are aiming to get the money Back in bandwidth charges that they lose from the initial charges.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
TheIslander
Grafter

I have seen that the price is going to be the same as 21CN circuit connections. Does that mean that FTTC on Plus Net be the same as what I get? If yes, then since my local exchange is scheduled for next year I am interested.
john50
Grafter

Well I have only just crept onto 21cn with Plusnet and it appears that BT have no intention of FTTC, so I am moving to a locally based new supplier on the South Yorkshire Digital Region that at the moment is offering 24m d and 2m up  unlimited both ways for £17.50 or 40m d and 10 up for £25 unlimited, and as I can easily chuck stones at the FTTC cabinet ..................
I have no problem at all with Plusnet the few times I have spoke to them the service I have recieved has been excellent and in that respect the new provider has got  a lot to live up to, the trouble is Plusnets hands are tied by our friends at BT
I suppose its a case of get in on the ground floor while the unlimited packages are about  Smiley