Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT cheaper than Plusnet! for existing customers

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT cheaper than Plusnet! for existing customers

As a matter of fact I agree about that era of Norton but the latest versions are much better
I also wouldn't touch McAfee with a barge pole
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

McAfee is rubbish,i use bitdefender free from microsoft & i have never had a problem with it. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

/cough
Bitdefender is nothing to do with Microsoft - fortunately
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Whatever it is it works for me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
TORPC
Grafter

Avast and MSSE are the 2 best AV's at the moment and has been for a while
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

mod:note
Can we get back on topic please, this isn't a thread about AV.
Ta.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Unfortunately (in my opinion) special deals for new customers have become endemic in the ISP industry, to get the very best deal you need to keep changing providers.  I'd be the first to use a provider who simply offered the best value long term without any introductory offers (which must, after all, be subsidised by other customers).
The industry must rely on the fact that many remain after their special deal and minimum contract term has expired otherwise some would probably be loosing money.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you use separate providers for voice and broadband, you do have a fall-back position.
Often one will fail whilst the other continues to work.
So my phone is with BT and has always been ultra-reliable and comes with a separate bill.
There are such things as modems and VOIP.
(BTW I don't use any anti-virus).  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

picbits
Rising Star

Now I actually see Plusnet as being a pretty good value for money ISP even without introductory discounts.
I joined because I needed a reasonable ISP with FTTC and a static IP. Plusnet ticked all the boxes and with their standard price were more competitive than the majority of other ISP's out there. There were some good offers available at the time which helped me make up my mind so I joined PN. I've had no major issues, I've renewed my LRS for another year and plan on being here for the foreseeable future.
I don't see the problem with introductory deals to attract new business - many businesses do it but ultimately they have to make a profit.
If I joined with BE on ADSL I'd be paying £22 a month. If I joined AAISP on FTTC with an equivalent package to what I have at the moment I'd be paying £221 a month  Cheesy Eclipse who were my previous ISP to BE are around £50+ a month. If I wanted a static IP on BT, I'd have to go for BT Business which is £35+vat per month + £5 / month for the static IP and a 24 month contract so around £48 a month.
I'm quite happy with my £20 a month with Plusnet thank you very much Cheesy
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Same here - I left MAAF to join PN because I got twice the download limit for a much cheaper monthly cost. There may other providers who have a few more bells and whistles for additional cost but that doesn't interest me.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: picbits
Now I actually see Plusnet as being a pretty good value for money ISP even without introductory discounts.

Well, yes, that's why I'm here. Smiley (I'd still rather not be subsidising others though).  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Is that a joke? LLU suppliers such as talk talk, and Sky blow plusnets prices out of the water.
  I will be giving those two a call sometime to see if they can better plusnets prices
picbits
Rising Star

I couldn't get a static IP with either TalkTalk or Sky.
Having also had to deal with both of them on a professional basis sorting out customer internet issues, I also have another reason to avoid them.
*Edit - just checked Sky's offering for FTTC unlimited and it's £30 a month plus £15.40 a month for line rental ? That's a lot more than I'm paying at the moment for the same service (and a Static IP).
AndyH
Grafter

is £20 + £15.40 no?
picbits
Rising Star

Sky 38 was £20 + £15.40 / mo but the 76 package is £30 + £15.40/mo
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/
And no sign of a static IP either.