cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT cheaper than Plusnet! for existing customers

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: BT cheaper than Plusnet! for existing customers

yeah plusnet prices have gone up alot lately so the gap is closer although I think plusnet still remains a bit cheaper than BT and for that is a static ip with UK based support.
But of course plusnet have cashback instead of not as useful vouchers, plus a refferal system (for those who dont sign up with a cashback).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
If you use separate providers for voice and broadband, you do have a fall-back position.
Often one will fail whilst the other continues to work.

With respect, this could not be more wrong!
Voice and broadband are provided over the same infrastructure either BT Openreach or some cable supplier.  If you are on cable, then all services come from the cable supplier - you have no choice.  If BT Openreach provide the circuit to your property, irrespective of who you pay for your phone or broadband service, it is the same BTOR infrastructure, which if faulty can equally impact voice and / or broadband.  As an end user, you have no access to BTOR - voice faults need to be managed by your phone provider and broadband issues by your ISP.
A phone line problem (POTS) can markedly impact broadband performance without degrading the voice service.  In such situations, to fix the broadband problem, the POTS issue needs to be resolved and that is the responsibility of the voice provider... who perceive no problem with the voice service they provide.  The two organisations will end up playing ping-pong with you as the ball and BTOR as the table.
If you take both voice and broadband from the same supplier, whenever there is a fault impacting one or both services, it is their issue to address irrespective of the cause.  They will manage the issue between BTW POTS and ADSL service support, thereby avoiding the need for the user to do so between their (as you promoted separate) end service providers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

The best fallback is to have some kind of 3G / 4G combined router and a mobile phone. That way if your landline goes down, you still have the mobile side of things.
If both go down then it's time to face the big wide world without internet for a few hours Wink
henbane
Grafter

Fully agree - most ISPs only give the offers to new customers. I am very close to changing suppliers and its only that I am on one of the older plans with free web hosting with Plusnet that stops me from changing - all the trouble of moving webpages and finding a new host (which I would have to pay for or find a free hosting one) is so far why Plusnet keep my custom. However, if PlusNet were to remove the hosting for existing customers (like BT did last year) then I would be jumping ship to BT for their special offers.  You also get access to the BTwithFON WiFi that is all around the place and ideal when out and about with your mobile. Wonder why PlusNet don't offer a Fon tie up - just needs a modem with it built in like BT provide.
So PlusNet just like the rest - offers to new customers only.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Web hosting and other benefits in use are retained on upgrading to a current product so concerns about losing these are not a barrier to change. Upgrading does require choosing between a non-contract option or 12 month contract which reduces the monthly price by £2.50.
There is also a premium for broadband only (phone not with Plusnet).
If phone is with Plusnet it might be worth giving the Customer Options/Cancellations Team a call to see what they can offer.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd also suggest calling our COT team - bear in mind legacy components (including hosting) can be kept on newer account types if they've already been added to an account Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: picbits
The best fallback is to have some kind of 3G / 4G combined router and a mobile phone. That way if your landline goes down, you still have the mobile side of things.
If both go down then it's time to face the big wide world without internet for a few hours Wink

I don't have a mobile.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steevo
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Web hosting and other benefits in use are retained on upgrading to a current product so concerns about losing these are not a barrier to change. Upgrading does require choosing between a non-contract option or 12 month contract which reduces the monthly price by £2.50.
There is also a premium for broadband only (phone not with Plusnet).
If phone is with Plusnet it might be worth giving the Customer Options/Cancellations Team a call to see what they can offer.

Quote from: Matt
I'd also suggest calling our COT team - bear in mind legacy components (including hosting) can be kept on newer account types if they've already been added to an account Smiley

I find the COT to be rather unhelpful with their "offerings". Am I alone in this?
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Not in the least, I was very impressed with them - Did you speak directly to the COT or other service teams?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's different if you are threatening to cancel.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."