cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport free for 'BT' customers

riley

BT Sport free for 'BT' customers

So, as 'BT' customers (well, Plusnet!) will we be getting BT Sport for free?
Grin
http://www.bt.com/sport/
57 REPLIES 57
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BT Sport free for 'BT' customers

Quote from: Chris
We're in the early stages of TV trials with staff. We are excited about the opportunities this will extend to our customers in the near future but as yet, have no fixed timings for a public launch.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lloydj

From the various presss releases, BT Sport will be available free for BT Broadband customers. Does this mean customers of BT Retail, which includes PlusNet as I understand it?  Or does it only apply to customers of BT branded broadband products. Certainly the latest article on thinkbroadband.com regarding BT's 4th quarter results suggests that it is the former as it states 'The launch of BT Sport may mean that BT Retail see a big boost in numbers, particularly with the launch of the channels free to view for BT Retail broadband customers...'
If it is BT Retail customers, then we PlusNet broadband customers who subscribe to Sky can order before August 1st and get the BT Sport channels (incl HD) for free.
Could PlusNet please clarify the position.
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As of yet we don't have a TV service for this to work on. We're considering our content options but we've not made any final decisions on this yet.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: lloydj
From the various presss releases, BT Sport will be available free for BT Broadband customers. Does this mean customers of BT Retail, which includes PlusNet as I understand it?  Or does it only apply to customers of BT branded broadband products. Certainly the latest article on thinkbroadband.com regarding BT's 4th quarter results suggests that it is the former as it states 'The launch of BT Sport may mean that BT Retail see a big boost in numbers, particularly with the launch of the channels free to view for BT Retail broadband customers...'
If it is BT Retail customers, then we PlusNet broadband customers who subscribe to Sky can order before August 1st and get the BT Sport channels (incl HD) for free.
Could PlusNet please clarify the position.
Thanks

BT Retail doesn't include Plusnet afaik. That's like saying Sky includes Plusnet or some other company. They're apart of the BT Group. BT Retail is equivalent of Plusnet or another company, they're a company with customers providing services.
shadow4dog
Grafter

So if I understand your comment correctly you're saying Plusnet aren't a BT Retail company? But they're owned by BT Group! They're one company with many heads! 🙂
All4One
Grafter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group
BT Retail - provides retail telecoms services to businesses and consumers
BT Openreach
BT Wholesale
etc etc

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To quot from BT's website:
BT Consumer
We are the leading provider of voice and broadband services for retail consumers in Great Britain and we also have a growing pay-TV service, BT Vision. We sell services under the BT brand as well as the Plusnet brand in order to reach a wider range of customers. Our BT-branded services have a range of extra features that set them apart from competitors while Plusnet provides simple voice and broadband services for more cost-conscious customers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
All4One
Grafter

w23, got a link for where that was? I was informed BT Retail was literally just their own brands, not Plusnet as they were still kept separate but obviously apart of BT Group.
garyw
Grafter

As the owner of a YouView box I'm really keen to know about PlusNet's plans for IPTV. Especially now that BT are offering free access to the BT Sports channels. Although it's worth noting that the BT IPTV channels are only 'free' on Sky Satellite, on YouView or BT vision I think you need to subscribe to one of the basic TV packages which is a minimum of £5/month. Also you can't view the channels on a retail YouView box even if you're a BT broadband customer which is frustrating if like me you've spent the best part of £300 on a YouView box - http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-locks-retail-youview-customers-out-of-free-football-offer/0527179/
Obviously there's some work going on behind the scenes at Plusnet. Sounds promising.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: All4One
w23, got a link for where that was?

Here: http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Ourcompany/Groupbusinesses/BTRetail/index.htm
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
All4One
Grafter

Cheers w23 - I guess we watch this space on issue!
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: shadow4dog
So if I understand your comment correctly you're saying Plusnet aren't a BT Retail company? But they're owned by BT Group! They're one company with many heads! 🙂

Plusnet is a Ltd company whose shares are 100% owned by BT Group plc
BT Retail is also a Ltd company who shares are 100% owend by BT Group plc.
So yes both BT Retail which deals with customers and Plusnet are owned by BT group plc (so they are wholly owned subsidiaries) but they operate as entirely separate entities.
It is exactly the same as say B&Q and Screwfix.  They are both owned 100% by Kingfisher Group plc and serve the same market, with slight differences in emphasis between them, and hence compete against each other for business.
Same for Dixons, PC World and Currys which are all retail outlets shops/online etc and are companies in their own right but are all totally owned by Dixons Retail Group plc.
garyw
Grafter

Quote from: garyw
You can't view the BT channels on a retail YouView box even if you're a BT broadband customer which is frustrating if like me you've spent te best part of £300 on a YouView box - http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-locks-retail-youview-customers-out-of-free-football-offer/0527179/

I should add that BT have reversed that decision and have confirmed that owners of retail YouView boxes who subscribe to BT broadband will be able to receive the BT IPTV Channels - http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-to-make-sports-channels-to-youview-retail-boxes/0527313/
jdlk

Quote from: Chris
As of yet we don't have a TV service for this to work on. We're considering our content options but we've not made any final decisions on this yet.

Has there been any progress on this issue? I understand that BT Retail and Plusnet are separate companies under the BT Group umbrella. However BT Group would have been very aware of the potential impact on Plusnet of the offer of "free" BT Sport for BT Retail broadband customers. I would have thought it quite likely that conversations were already underway about a package to offer BT Sport to all BT Group customers receiving a broadband service.
As things stand, the BT Sport offering from BT Retail is a great temptation for sports fans. I joined Plusnet fairly recently, so I would have to pay a substantial early termination fee if I left -- but even with that and the extra cost of BT Broadband it would still be cheaper than paying £12 a month extra to get BT Sport through my Sky box. For sports fans at or near the end of their Plusnet contract, the BT Retail offering is an even stronger temptation...