cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband not cancelled by Plusnet

tommihendrix

BT Broadband not cancelled by Plusnet

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that when moving from BT to plusnet I just had to give plusnet the MAC code given to me by BT and that plusnet would then sort out everything else. I've now been using plusnet for almost a month but according to BT, my BT broadband has not ended and I'm still being billed. BT tell me that the broadband was not cancelled by plusnet like it should have been. What's going on?
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: BT Broadband not cancelled by Plusnet

Hi tommihendrix,
Moving from one ISP to another using a MAC key is a process known as ISP migration. The way in which that works in most cases is that the losing ISP (BT in this case) usually take your request as a MAC key as notice to cancel. Once the new ISP (us) uses the MAC key this transfers the service from BT to us meaning that there should be no need for either BT to cancel anything or for us to ask them to do so. They should also receive a system notification to tell them that the service has moved and to stop billing you.
Given this information I would go back to BT. Let me know if you need any further information or assistance with this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It's not PlusNet who should have cancelled, its BT. PlusNet use your MAC code to inform BT Wholesale that you are migrating, BT Wholesale then inform your existing ISP ( in this case BT retail ) of the migration. PlusNet can't tell BT Retail directly since there is no communication path between the ISP's, it must all go through BT Wholesale. Unfortunately sometimes the communication from BT Wholesale to the losing ISP goes astray, either they don't tell them or the losing ISP 'forgets' they got it.

Edit: Adam got there just before me. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tommihendrix

Cool, thanks for your replies. Time to shout at BT  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Adam can probably shout a bit harder than you, but all helps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Adam can probably shout a bit harder than you

Sorry just to make it clear we're not able to chase up any losing ISPs due to migration problmes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
whistler
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
The way in which that works in most cases is that the losing ISP (BT in this case) usually take your request as a MAC key as notice to cancel. Once the new ISP (us) uses the MAC key this transfers the service from BT to us meaning that there should be no need for either BT to cancel anything or for us to ask them to do so. They should also receive a system notification to tell them that the service has moved and to stop billing you.

Shoulda - woulda - coulda - if - but - maybe....
In order to make sure your account is closed with your "losing" ISP - YOU must tell them what YOU intend to do when YOU apply for your MAC. YOU must tell them when YOU actually migrate and YOU must do this via email, telephone, in writing by recorded delivery, by pigeon, by a message tied to an arrow and by painting it in six foot high letters on the office building opposite theirs. You must then personally visit and have it tattood on the CEOs forehead and then maybe - just maybe if there's a Z in the month it just might actually happen. Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Shoulda - woulda - coulda - if - but - maybe....

All automated systems are prone to failure. Please don't read to much into the terms I've used in my reply. These things I've mentioned should have all happened, I'm just being realistic to be honest.
I can only urge anyone migrating from one ISP to another to make sure that the losing ISP are aware of the migration, sometimes this does get overlooked unfortunately.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
James
Grafter

@tommihendrix
I think I've just sent you an email Smiley
James
Grafter

And a voicemail - think we should be sorted now.