Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS Profile - Speed - Latency - DLM

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: BRAS Profile - Speed - Latency - DLM

I was surprise no openreach modem is given to u by bt engineer?
deathtrap
Grafter

FTTC DLM can revert the changes it made ,If  it was solely down to the use of the Draytek modem it should do this within a few days, There may be an underlying fault or  high crosstalk levels causing DLM to lower the sync
And as others have said  the BTOR engineer should/would of installed a BT openreach modem as part of the FTTC installation,
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yes BTOR should have bring his openreach FTTC modem with him when installing your FTTC.
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi Guys,
The BT Engineer did bring his own modem with him, but before he got there I setup the Draytek, all he had to do was install a new faceplate on the master socket. I plugged in the RJ11 cable into the Draytek modem.
He checked the sync speed and took the BT modem with him as he seen I was using my own equipment.
The problem has now been resolved, since I installed the BT modem the connection has been solid, up and running for 170 hours counting. sync speed is a lot higher than the Draytek, 65.2Mbit down and 12.8Mbit up.
I still just have interleaving set to low on the downstream bandwidth and has introduced a 8ms delay onto my latency but DLM should fix that.
All I can say is I am very disappointed with Draytek, none of their latest firmware fixed this issue, I had even tried 2x Draytek 2850's both of the routers had the same problem.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

My advise to u is hide away your modem router. Don't let BTOR see it. So, he will leave the BTOR modem with you when he had left. Then u can test compared between BTOR modem and your own modem router. But, I think BTOR modem is far better.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BoBBYI986
He checked the sync speed and took the BT modem with him as he seen I was using my own equipment.

How bizarre that he did that, given that only the OR modem is officially supported, and how bizarre that you let him!
deathtrap
Grafter

The draytek's chipset vendor/brand maybe the cause, the Dslam is the cab probably wasn't as well matched/compatible as the BT openreach  ECI or Huawei are , That doesn't mean that the draytek is inferior as a modem,
Which type of FTTC (Green ) Cab  are you connected to the one with 2 doors  or the small ECI  single door cab ? Just  for reference for any one else who may be thinking of using a draytek modem/router for FTTC once self installs are rolled out oh and could you also provide the model number of the dratek modem, unless it the only one they make
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi,
I am connected to a single door FTTC cabinet.
I cannot find the model number of the built in VDSL modem, I have checked web interface also the label on the back of the router, I'm sure DrayTek use the same VDSL modem for all of their FTTC range of routers.
As for the BTOR modem, all is still working fine  Smiley
slime
Grafter

Hi,
I have been using a Draytek 2850vn for about 18 months and it has been fine - a little slower to start with that the supplied BTOR modem but that quickly got put in a cupboard (as a spare).
Since new year, I have been getting frequent disconnects and SNR went through the roof just as BT started working on cabs near me.  BT have finally gone and my SNR has gone back to similar to my "electrical length" as reported by the Draytek (~ 60 x 0.1db).  Electrical length is 68.  The SNR did go close to 180!
But I still get very frequent VDSL disconnects (I had 6 yesterday), 2 so far today.  I used to get close to 72meg down and 19 up.  I am lucky to get 42 down and 15 up now.
I guess I could go back to the BTOR modem, but Draytek has been fine for 12 months (just tried the latest f/w and no difference, changed the MTU also and no difference) - why just now/recently?  How do I know which green cab I am connected to?  Single door or double door etc.
Thanks,
Si.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: slime
How do I know which green cab I am connected to?

Put your phone number in here and it will tell you: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
The number should be be on the PCP near the fibre cabinet, not the fibre cabinet itself.
And yes, the obvious thing to do first is to switch back to the OR modem.
slime
Grafter

Thanks. Cabinet 1 apparently. I'll go and have a walk tonight but what's a PCP?
I think the Draytek uses a Broadcom chipset.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

PCP stands for Primary Connection Point and it's also often referred to as the "green box".
slime
Grafter

Thanks. So, the old green star taps where telephone pair is connected. Hmmm, I see the problem! My cab (cab 1) doesn't exist or has been stolen as I can't find it!! Been for a good local walk and I can find cab 2 but not 1!!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm pretty sure your cabinet hasn't been stolen and if it has, well done for staying connected! Wink
Unfortunately we can't advise the whereabouts of specific cabinets. The only thing I'd suggest is going for a longer wander in hope that you'll find it!
Happy cab hunting! Smiley
Out of curiosity, have you switched back to the BTOR modem and if you have, has it made any difference?