cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "Happy Punter"

KayJay

Another "Happy Punter"

I've been with Plusnet for a long time now - don't ask me why. 
Maybe it's the massive broadband speed?  Yeah, if 1 meg is something I should be impressed with - which I am, since it was a LOT slower until recently.
But I think what gives that really warm feeling inside is the way my account works.  I spend a good 5 months of the year away from home, but I don't mind paying for the time I don't use the service, even though where I am when I'm away actually gives me 100+ cable TV canals PLUS a real 20 meg connection for the same price.  What I DO mind though is to be charged extra if I exceed my "generous" download limit (not easy at the pathetic speed I get).  Maybe Plusnet should be paying ME for the time I'm not here but still running my Direct Debit?
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Another "Happy Punter"

If you are not at home Plusnet still have to pay BT Wholesale every month for your connection!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KayJay

Of course they do - and I have no problem with that.  Nonetheless they're doing okay out of me during the time when my connection isn't being used and no traffic is being generated but there's no way to balance out usage so I don't end up being shafted for an extra chunk when I do need to use my connection.  My only option to stop this would be to pay more for an increased monthly download allowance, which means paying even more for the time when I'm not there......
A pathetic 1 MB connection and paying for "extra usage" while getting no "credit" for when there is zero usage - that doesn't strike me a Which? "Best Buy"
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You know you can change account once a month. Is your time away planned sufficiently in advance and for sufficient periods that you could flip between Value and Extra? (I suspect that account changes only happening on billing date may make that difficult)
James
Grafter

Other than Jelv's suggestion, I don't see how there is really any way around this.
It's the same with Mobile companies.  When I recontract with O2, I'm not able to change my package in the next 9 months and they certainly don't pay me for not using all of my included minutes.
We are merely charging you in line with the package that you have signed up for - I'm afraid that we can't help the fact that you are not always at home to use it.
KayJay

James, I'm NOT asking to be paid for unused minutes!  Roll_eyes  However, what I AM asking for is not to be charged extra for some months when my annual usage is WAY below my monthly entitlement x 12.
You're absolutely right to, in effect, say "read the small print" but is that really the way Plusnet likes to treat its clients?  I appreciate that the slow speed here in the sticks isn't your fault but it all adds up to a service which doesn't make life on the internet here any more pleasant.....
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Are you aware that you can use the manage my usage tool to set a cap so that the limit can't e exceeded and hence no extra charges?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
KayJay

Adam, yes of course I am aware of that; however, when I need the net then I need it...
What I can't cap is using less than my annual entitlement and still being charged whenever I go over a monthly limit - however tough it is to exceed that limit at the speed I get.  If it's possible to keep track of monthly usage, why isn't it possible to keep track of annual usage and then simply refund any charges for exceeding any given month if the annual use doesn't exceed then monthly limit x 12?
That is mainly a rhetorical question, of course, since it isn't in Plusnet's financial interest to go out of your way to ensure your customers get the best deal....  Lips_are_sealed
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

It's clearly in Plusnet's interests to offer competitive prices, but what you are suggesting would mean tearing up the current business model and starting again - part of the model must be the fact that many users (like you and me, but for different reasons) don't use all of their monthly bandwidth allocation and therefore "subsidise" those that do.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Also, please bear in mind that ISPs have to provide bandwidth suitable for their total customer base, essentially they ensure that bandwidth is there when you need it, they can't exactly off-load capacity when you're not using it and when you are using it you are adding to the total volume they must cater for.  I'm pretty sure that ISPs costs are not determined so much by annual traffic but much more by peak load and intermittent users contribute to the peak load that they must cater for. (This also accounts for why most ISPs charge much more for 'additional usage' compared to 'included usage' as the included usage is a lot easier to plan (costly) capacity for.)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

since it isn't in Plusnet's financial interest to go out of your way to ensure your customers get the best deal.

it's within our ethical interests though, I do like the idea. I honestly wouldn't expect any changes overnight though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pierre_pierre
Grafter

would a PAYG account be  better? - I dont know ther relative costs its a long time since I had a dialup one
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I am on Extra because my usage is usually more than 15GB per month which was the allowance on my previous account type. The last three months although all three were over 15 they were under 20. I'm not moaning although my annual usage will be around half the total allowance.