cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Talktalk to Plusnet Fibre Optic switch nightmare

mmben
Dabbler

Another Talktalk to Plusnet Fibre Optic switch nightmare

When ordering my broadband, I was assured that the switchover would be smooth.  And would be with minimal disruption to my service.  It is not turning out that way and I am very disappointed, considering I moved to Plusnet due to dissatisfaction with my old supplier for different reasons.  Firstly, I chose my 3 preferred install dates, and the date that was allocated to me was completely different to any of the 3 preferred dates, and I had to spend half an hour on the phone trying to get through to you to sort it out and get a suitable date (although the adviser was polite and helpful and apologised for the wait).  On the day of my switchover, and Fibre Optic installation (TalkTalk service was adsl LLU), the BT engineer was at my house for just 5 minutes, and he advised he could not install the Fibre Optic because there was not a dial tone (it was an engaged bleep type tone) - he said you probably would be in touch and then left.  I called up soon after, and you advised me that the openreach engineer should have tried to sort something out while he was here.
About 1 and a half hours after I called, I got a call back to say that you couldn't do anything until the engineer updates his notes, and then just after 12pm I noticed you took over my phoneline as I got the email and the dial tone returned.  For about an hour or so before the dial tone came on the phone was completely dead.  I called about 4.30pm on my now working landline to get an update, by this time my patience was beginning to run out, and was told that there was no timescale, no explanation what went wrong, and was again told that I would have to wait for the engineer notes.  I did clearly express that I wasn't happy, by expressing that it wasn't ideal considering I was told it would be a smooth almost seemless switch, but still no answer, no apology or complaint registered, and was told I there is nothing he could do until the engineer notes are received.
I have no decent broadband, I am having to pay for my service, which is a poor 3G dongle PAYG service, £2 quid a day and it is capped, so no iplayer etc,  I was in all day yesterday hoping that something could have been sorted out, and have been in all day today checking my emails and waiting for a call in the hope that there will be movement or at least some news.  I will have to arrange my time around another visit now, which is inconvenient as this has to be worked around work and childcare (school run etc) and normal life, and I still have no Idea when I will get my service that I was expecting.  I don't understand why there is no action you can take until you get the engineer notes, although you are aware of the fact my phone line has been working from just after 12pm yesterday, which was all that the engineer needed to get my fibre optics sorted out as far as he said.  Also finishing the day yesterday not knowing how long I will be without a decent broadband service (my 3G keeps disconnecting) - is very concerning, and half way into the next day and still no news.
I was actually told that I should be updated today, and I am still waiting for this update.  I raised this issue with the complaints team yesterday using the online tool as well.  I understand somewhere between TalkTalk, Openreach and Plusnet something has gone wrong, but maybe if Plusnet would be more clear at the point of sale that there would likely be problems, then I would have thought again.
added 3 hors after original post
OK 3 hours after posting on here, 21 hours since posting the complaint - 3 telephone conversations yesterday, still waiting for engineer notes?  does he send them second class post or something?  Are there not liaison teams who can communicate between each other?  I have had no updates since yesterday morning even though I was told I should get an update.  All I want is to know how long I will have no internet for, and an explanation as to who or what caused the problem.  This is not acceptable and considering my full service has not started (I signed for a phone/bb package) it looks like I will have to explore my cooling off/cancellation rights.
I have noticed other people are getting responses much quicker than 3 hours on here - I am beginning to feel invisible.  Not impressed.
fya
Question #66650171
Question #66627918
20 REPLIES 20
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Another Talktalk to Plusnet Fibre Optic switch nightmare

No consolation to you but when mine was installed there was no dial tone either. The other provider had stopped my service early in the morning.
However, that didn't seem to matter to the BTOR chappie who couldn't do enough for me. Fibre BB was up and running and demoed in an hour or so. He said that the phone would follow in a couple of hours.
Sure as eggs are eggs, the phone was working again a couple of hours later!
Hopefully, one the Digital Care peeps will pick up your case from here soon. These guys are the 'bees knees' in sorting things out and will have you up and running!
Geoff,
York.
mmben
Dabbler

Considering it is clear that despite several others seemingly inadvertently jumping the queue and being responded to on this forum before me, I will not get a response today here or by other means (even a simple acknowledgement would have been better than nothing), and after having time to read other people's issues on the forum with similarities to mine, I want to make it more clear what my grievances are with PlusNet, and this must be said as I am preempting a passing of the blame on to BT Wholesale, BTOR and/or TalkTalk.  Although I understand that there may have been problems beyond your control (although I am still awaiting an explanation), it doesn't detract from the following points;
Firstly, there is not a clear indication that switching to PlusNet poses a risk of being without broadband for a considerable length of time (such as days or even weeks).  There is plenty of propaganda to make it sound like a problem would be unlikely.  The following are several quotes from your site.
Easy to switch.  We’ve made switching to Plusnet a doddle. Find out how easy it is to start getting good honest broadband.

We'll contact your provider.  This is the easy part. Sit back, relax and leave it with us.  We'll get in touch with your current provider and let you know when we've sorted out your switch date.  If you need a new phone line, choose a convenient time and we'll arrange for an engineer to install it for you.We want your switch to be smooth, meaning no disruption to your broadband. If you've taken a phone package you should be able to keep your number."

Will I stay online until I'm connected?  Yes, you'll still be able to do all the things you normally do online whilst we switch your broadband (and phone service, if you've chosen Home Phone) over to Plusnet. If you've signed up but not yet given us a MAC Key to move your broadband you'll need contact us with this so we can progress your activation.  Once we've let you know your service is ready you'll need to set up your hardware, activate your broadband connection and log in to your new service. Installation is very straightforward and we have lots of step-by-step setup guides to help you.

How long does it take to install?  You'll get a choice of engineer appointment slots when you signup. These will either be AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) Monday to Friday. Once you've requested your installation we'll let you know as soon as an appointment booking has been confirmed.  Installing the actual service takes about 3-4 hours (less if you don't have an extension lead fitted).  Note: your broadband and telephone won't work for a short while, this is whilst the engineer is connecting your service.

The above quotes are not true to my experience.
Secondly, another day has gone, and I still have no indication as to what went wrong, and the timescales in which this will be resolved.  I have had no update today, and it was indicated in a telephone call that there should be an update, as the stumbling block for you to move forward seemingly was engineer notes.  No calls, no email.
Thirdly, I want to know how this affects my billing, as I am not receiving any broadband service, and also it needs to be said that without any timescales, I am having to use daily tarrifs on my 3G broadband, because without knowing, I am unable to plan ahead and work out a cheaper longer term tarrif to get me to when my proper service is restored.
Finally, a complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction, so why did your adviser which I spoke to yesterday afternoon not escalate my concern or deal with my concern as a complaint, because if he did, there may have been more progress today.  He just said there was nothing he can do.
I have not called you today because I am a bit wound up about sitting here with no proper broadband service and no timescales, it is extremely frustrating, and if I had any reason to feel that there would be any problems like this then I wouldn't have switched, so for that I find the information on your website very misleading.  If I called then it would have been more difficult to express my concerns as I would have probably become too wound up, especially if you told me again there was nothing you could do.  Besides, the onus should be on you to keep me updated.
To add insult, the only communication I received from you today was titled "Please help Plusnet win an ISPA award"  Grin
I am now prepared, based on other people's accounts to be waiting for a couple of weeks before this gets resolved, but I am hoping I am proved wrong.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mmben,
I can see that the phone line install has now been completed, and an appointment has been booked for the fibre install for the 18th March - I'm not sure if we've requested the expedite as per the ticket on your account yet though. I'll get in touch with our provisioning team and see what we can do to bring that forward for you.
Really sorry about how it's gone so far, we'll certainly make sure you're refunded for any time you've paid for the service while the order hasn't been completed.
mmben
Dabbler

Thanks for responding Matt, but to be honest it is not really acceptable that I have to be without a practical internet connection for 2 weeks through no fault of my own - It is a shame you can't switch me on adsl for a couple of weeks where I could use my old router until the 18th of March if you can't get the order expedited  - I have registered a complaint as you know so I would imagine that will be going through your complaints process you have to follow.  As I understand, and correct me if I am wrong the only way it can be brought forward is if it was a BTOR error?   And I also would like to know what exactly went wrong and why, but again if this has to be communicated as per the tickets then that is fine, it is just a shame it is taking so long for these to be responded to.
I know I might appear OTT with how I have presented the issue on here and on the complaint but it really is an inconvenience and I will probably have to buy a wireless 3G router now as we rely on this for our connected devices, and the 3G signal here alternates between poor and non existent.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As I understand, and correct me if I am wrong the only way it can be brought forward is if it was a BTOR error? 

Hi there, it would actually need to be a BT Wholesale issue who are our suppliers for that I'm afraid. Looking at your account your ticket is with a priority team who are due to chase this up and get back to you. It looks like that should happen tomorrow but let me know if you don't hear anything by say 3pm and I'll get on the case, does that sound OK?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mmben
Dabbler

Yep - so long as I am kept in the loop that is fine.
cheers
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Absolutely, I'll speak to you tomorrow, hopefully with a more positive update.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi,
My colleague Chris has already picked this up and another appointment has been arranged, if you can check ticket  66650171 details are on there.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mmben
Dabbler

Please look again at this.
Ticket #66650171 - this was a complaint, and the response was with regards to holding the complaint until the 18th of March, which was the same date that you referred to earlier.
Ticket #66627918 - this has not been responded to since the 4th of March, the original install date that went wrong.  Does it really take this long to find out who is at fault?  Engineer notes are still being waited on?  Please could you chase up this ticket, because this is the one that needs an answer if there is any chance (I am not holding my breath) of my order being expedited.
Thank you.
adie:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, I've just asked our team to chase that up and see if we can arrange the expedite mentioned on the second ticket and bring the date forward for you. There should be an update soon.
mmben
Dabbler

Ok I had a reply to my ticket and the order is not being brought forward - I do not understand some of the jargon on the reply and it seems to imply that an engineer called at 12.56 - which is complete rubbish.  If this is being implied then I want to see evidence of this.  I will probably be passing all of this on to ofcom because something needs to be done about this whole process, regardless on who is to blame, and I would imagine they have received a lot of this type of thing.
The phone order completed at 11.58 with the Fibre engineer arriving to your property at 12.56.

I know the phone order was completed by 11.58 as this is when I got a dail tone.  The engineer arrived at my property at 8.45am - There were no visits after this, and I was in all day, so what is this all about?  As you know, my appointment was a slot between 8am and 1pm.  Is there evidence of this, or is it a mistake?
Although the Fibre engineer had the relevant equipment to test the line, the suppliers are going on the notes which were not updated to reflect the working line until 1900 that evening.

the above doesn't really make too much sense.  What notes, and who was supposed to update them and didn't?
As they are adamant they are not at fault in this case, I find this scenario very unlikely.

I still don't understand why they are not at fault, and if it is because they are claiming the engineer visited when he didn't then this is another point to raise when I contact the regulator.
Please ensure you are available throughout this timeslot to grant the engineer access as if the appointment is missed, there is a £50 reappointing fee.

This is a joke, do I get £50 for the inconvenience of having to deal with this mess?  I think not.  it kind of adds insult to injury.
If BT are lying about this, then I want the details of how to complain to them directly and get answers from them myself.
Can someone please tell me who is at fault here?  I have asked for this a couple of times now, and still I am no closer to my answer.  If you are accepting that BT are not at fault, which you seem to be (or you woud be working a bit harder to get them to admit liability) then does this mean you are accepting responsibility for this?  Or is it something to do with my previous provider?
Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
Just before I respond more generally let me address the points you've raised:
I know the phone order was completed by 11.58 as this is when I got a dail tone.  The engineer arrived at my property at 8.45am - There were no visits after this, and I was in all day, so what is this all about?  As you know, my appointment was a slot between 8am and 1pm.  Is there evidence of this, or is it a mistake?

As far as I'm able to tell this information was given to us by our suppliers via an online chat after we asked for a copy of the engineer's notes.
the above doesn't really make too much sense.  What notes, and who was supposed to update them and didn't?

The engineer should have updated the notes which is why that didn't happen correctly, apologies I'll make sure that's fed back to our suppliers.
I still don't understand why they are not at fault, and if it is because they are claiming the engineer visited when he didn't then this is another point to raise when I contact the regulator.

We could have worded this a lot better. Sorry, I will feed that back on this side. Our suppliers are BT wholesale and as such they have the ability to expedite orders if there's an issue they've caused, unfortunately as in this case if its an error by an Openreach engineer that option isn't available as a matter of recourse.
This is a joke, do I get £50 for the inconvenience of having to deal with this mess?  I think not.  it kind of adds insult to injury.

I know that must look bad but we're obliged to mention that with each booking made.
In short most of the issues encountered were due to engineering issues. As you're our customer it's up to us to make amends so I'll apply a goodwill gesture to your account and detail that on a ticket for you. Let me know if you need any further help.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mmben
Dabbler

Thanks Adam for your response, I an already resigned to having to pay for more days of 3G broadband and rationing my bandwidth for another week, but I hope this kind of thing improves, so others are not left without a service as I have been.  To one of my original points, I think the main gripe is that the way you word it at the point of sale, you make it sound very unlikely that there would be any lengthy break in the service, and if it was more clear, then I would have been in a position to make a more informed choice, or be more prepared for a lengthy outage.
I can understand why you want to promote the switchover like this and try to get everything coordinated so that everything is completed in a half-day window, but I would have preferred it if I had my phone switched over on the Monday, and the engineer booked for the Tuesday, so at least if there were delays in the phone switching on the Monday, you would hope that by the following day these would have been resolved, so that when the engineer visits, there wouldn't be any issues around there not being any dial tone.  I suppose the reason why you don't do this is because people would not want to be without broadband for a whole 24 hours.  Problem is if it goes wrong, this could, based on my experience end up being two weeks, and I am sure there would be people already looking forward to switching after the contract ends, so you could be shooting yourself in the foot.  I just hope that there are not any further problems (barring ones out of your control) moving forward related to this or anything else!
Thanks again Adam and Matt for looking in to this and keeping me informed.
mmben
Dabbler

Just seen the ticket re the GWG, and considering it is a good will gesture, then I trust it is separate to earlier confirmation I have had that I will not be charged for the 2 weeks so far where I haven't had/won't have any broadband provided by plusnet?
Thanks