cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afternoon siesta - slowdown of internet access.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Afternoon siesta - slowdown of internet access.

Over the past few days something odd happens from late afternoon into the night.

At the beginning of the day everything is hunky dory as I scoot around the internet but in the evening there is a significant slowdown in connecting to pages or displaying pages. Sometimes I click on a link and a page is only partially displayed and then builds up in stages.

When it has been slow and I try to link to the PlusNet Status page all I get is a spinning wheel and no page displayed, this morning it is fine and I can whizz round the internet.

Bizarrely Bing & Yahoo searches work fine and return results in an instant but when I click on a link is when either nothing appears to happen or it's extremely slow.

As I say the slowness starts to kick in from the afternoon onwards.

I cleaned out all cookies and deleted history which I thought had sorted the problem but the extreme slowness returned last night.

I'm using IE11 and switch the computer off between bouts of the internet.

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Afternoon siesta - slowdown of internet access.

Is this via a wired or wireless connection? If the problem continues it's worth getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

It is wired, at the moment the access to the internet is ok.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@christmas wrote:

Over the past few days something odd happens from late afternoon into the night.

At the beginning of the day everything is hunky dory as I scoot around the internet but in the evening there is a significant slowdown in connecting to pages or displaying pages. Sometimes I click on a link and a page is only partially displayed and then builds up in stages.

When it has been slow and I try to link to the PlusNet Status page all I get is a spinning wheel and no page displayed, this morning it is fine and I can whizz round the internet.

Bizarrely Bing & Yahoo searches work fine and return results in an instant but when I click on a link is when either nothing appears to happen or it's extremely slow.

As I say the slowness starts to kick in from the afternoon onwards.

I cleaned out all cookies and deleted history which I thought had sorted the problem but the extreme slowness returned last night.

I'm using IE11 and switch the computer off between bouts of the internet.

Didn't Plusnet used to curtail Broadband Speeds Evenings until Midnight for some reason ?

I think it was something to do with when there was heavy usage of Plusnet Broadband, speeds were throttled so everyone could still get internet access...

And when people return home from work, that is when Internet usage goes up, and so PN BB is throttled ?

This was a regular occurrence, and once Midnight arrived, Speeds zoomed back up to normal.

Speedtest showed good results most of the time, but BBC iPlayer Speedtest showed the slowdown in the evenings.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Not intentionally, though that would be the time when there's the most congestion. It will have been dependent on your line too. Do you have any issues at the moment?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Yesterday and into the early hours there was no issue with the speed, hopefully it was just a short term issue.

But it was strange it would start at a particular time of the day.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Let us know if it happens again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team