cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After many many years

bathos

After many many years

We must have been with PlusNet close on 20 years - is that possible ?  Anyhow, never really considered moving as previously you could always speak to someone if necessary and they resolved any issues.  Broadband and phone package been ticking away nicely in the background.

Internet speeds have gone from bad to worse due to Coronavirus, so I was looking to upgrade, but don't want an 18 month contract.  Thought I'd just speak to someone - phone, online chat .. whatever ..absolutely no chance, it seems.

They are impossible to contact. 

I know we are in extreme circumstances but just managed to call one of the competitors (name beginning with Z) and I spoke to a REAL person within two minutes.  If a small company can answer the phone in the current climate then surely PlusNet can.

Very disappointing.

On this basis alone, it's probably time for a change.  Don't mind paying a bit more to actually speak to someone when I need to.  Which is what I used to say about PlusNet.

6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: After many many years

One has to bear in mind that Plusnet is BT's budget brand, and Zen is not.

It's when the pressure is on that the diffrences start to become more apparent. As always, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @bathos 

Really sorry for the wait times to get through to us at the moment. You can upgrade your package by logging into your account Here and going to the Offers and Upgrades tab.

Alternatively send me a private message with a contact number and a rough time when you would be free for a call and I'll be happy to arrange for somebody to call you back

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @bathos 

A warm welcome to the forums.

@bathos wrote:

I know we are in extreme circumstances but just managed to call one of the competitors (name beginning with Z) and I spoke to a REAL person within two minutes.  If a small company can answer the phone in the current climate then surely PlusNet can.

May be a key consideration here is that they do not have such a large user base?

As you state we are in extreme circumstances.  You imply that your broadband has not been the best for a while, but offer no details.  Are you on ADSL or FTTC?  What self help steps have you take already?  @Gandalf has offered specific help, but undertaking the usual self help steps will help eliminate some of the things he will need to run through with you.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Then run through the broadband fault check below.

There is also a real possibility that this is not a broadband issue, but a WiFi issue as a lot of people are now at home hammering the WiFi spectrum.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bathos

Thanks for your thorough response.  My main reason for leaving PlusNet has nothing to do with connectivity.  I knew I had to move from ADSL to Fibre at some point.

Like many I am working from home at the moment.  I have got progressively closer to the router to the point I am now hard-wired.  I have had four disconnects already today.  Pretty scary when I am running processes on one of our live linux servers.

I would happily have stayed with PlusNet (broadband and home phone), but the faceless upgrade option only offered an 18 month contract.  I tried several times to speak to someone about the length of the contract - just a recorded message on the phone, there was no online chat and seemingly no email address.  I don't want an 18 month contract.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There a lot to consider around this space.  If there is a fault on your local circuit impacting your ADSL performance, it is equally likely to impact a FTTC service.  At the very least you will not get the best which FTTC might deliver.

Have you done the QLT?

Have you worked through the broadband speed self help?

Indeed customer support contact is difficult at present - did you use the "I am thinking of leaving option"?

The product page does show a 12 month contract option, but it is £10 a month more expensive than the 18 month price - £36.99 vs. £26.99 for 18 months.

12 months = £444

18 months = £485

So for £41 you get an additional 6 months.

Zen FTTC is £30pcm plus £20 activation, making the first 12 months £380, but 18 months costing £560.

Switching providers and service type at the moment will be very dependent on BT Openreach having the staff available to do the engineering work.  If there is a need to do a home visit, the work will be placed on hold until lock-down is lifted.

If I were in your shoes at the moment, I would be seeking to ensure that there is no fault in the infrastructure which is impacting your service performance, for that will remain with you regardless of which ISP you chose.

The easiest test is the QLT - if there is noise on the line then you have a voice circuit fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @bathos,

As per my colleague @Gandalf last response,please can you send us a private message with a contact number and a rough time when you would be free for a call and I'll be happy to arrange for somebody to call you back from our customer options team.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team