cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance notice of direct debit payment

stuartandelis
Dabbler

Advance notice of direct debit payment

A minor point, but is it possible to opt out of receiving an email each month reminding me of the dd payment due?  At the same time, if I have to have them, do I need two copies, and why aren't they addressed to me, rather than to postmaster.  I have never understood this postmaster; I didn't ask for him, and I don't know what he does for me.  Where can I read up about him, please?
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Advance notice of direct debit payment

Quote from: stuartandelis
I have never understood this postmaster; I didn't ask for him, and I don't know what he does for me.  Where can I read up about him, please?

From the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you joined Plusnet:
7.2.3 You must accept email to postmaster@<username>.plus.com.

It is so that there is a standard official way that Plusnet can communicate with any user.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

… and the second copy is presumably because you entered a different address as your email address in Member Centre Account Details.
The official copy goes to postmaster and the second is a courtesy copy. If you change your email address to postmaster you should receive only one copy.
Since Plusnet will be taking money from your account they are required to notify you of the amount in advance.
David
Not applicable

I don't need the DD e-mail either but seeing as how I have to have it (only one copy though), I'd like to have a moan about the wording. Why does it need the reminder about making sure there is enough money in the bank?  I have never had a failed bill in my life and I firmly believe that it is my responsibility to make sure of this - don't need telling by someone else.
How about an opt-out, as is the case with mailings?
jazz
Grafter

I'm with Poppy on this one.  I know you have to advise of the date of the withdrawal under the terms of he Direct Debit arrangements but it does annoy me every month whn I'm told to make sure I have enough money in the bank to meet the debit.. I do feel I'm old enough now(unfortunately) to have worked that out for myself. Sad
Emma
Grafter

Remember that the payment could potential vary month on month and failure to notify of a different payment could lead to more trouble. Items such as fixed direct debits you get a letter say once a year reminding you of your payment, however with PAYG products and phone calls on top of line rental I bet there are very few people who pay exactly the same amount every month.
Not applicable

Fair enough Emma (although mine is usually the same), but why the warning about having enough money in the account?
I can't think of any other bill that I have had to pay in the past with the same or similar wording.
It's time it was reviewed IMO.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This is something I raised at the Open Day two years ago and at least once since. The latter resulted in revised text being developed but unfortunately "the development stack was (always) full" so it never made it to live. It's sad that a more friendly approach never got implemented.
David
David
mal0z
Grafter

I never get an email from gas or elctricity company, council, or any other direct debit
So why do PN do it ?????????//
Mind you - in my case it has proved useful, as they were going to debit more than amount in contract - hence my messages on community and PM's / tickets to PN staff.......
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Gas & electricity - are you on a payment plan or are you billed a variable amount depending upon meter readings?
Council - you get a notice at the beginning of the year detailing all the payments for the year.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Precisely.
On variable DD you get the bill first, on payment plans / council tax you are told the amount for the next x or 12 months.
With Electricty, Gas, Water etc., if your payment fails you get a stroppy letter saying pay up or else ... the specific action for each (ultimately it's cut you off).
Council Tax - pay within 7 days or pay the rest of the year - taken to court if you don't.
With PN -
Please note - It is important that your payment details are valid and you have
sufficient funds on or just after yyyy-mm-dd as failure to do so will result in your
PlusNet Broadband "....type....." (Monthly Contract) with included xGB bandwidth
account being disabled.
(My bolding and I believe it's immediate). Perfectly sensible reminder I say, so what are you moaning about?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The email has to be sent, if we didn't send it we'd be in trouble. However I do agree the wording could be a bit more friendly. I'll find out what happened to that on Monday and see if we can't get the planned improvements onto live. Smiley