Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASA UK Ban PlusNet Broadband ISP TV Advert for Misleading Half Price Offer

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

ASA UK Ban PlusNet Broadband ISP TV Advert for Misleading Half Price Offer

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/05/asa-uk-ban-plusnet-broadband-isp-tv-advert-for-misleadi...
It now seems that PN half price offer is open to existing customers , that how i read it from paragraph two in the article
"In the first instance PlusNet’s initial advert claimed that its promotion was available to “New customers only“, which the ASA said “contradicted” the impression that everyone could benefit from the offer. The ISP later clarified that its offer was indeed available to existing customers and removed the aforementioned wording but the ASA decided that it was still “misleading“." (my bold)
Regards Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

80 REPLIES 80
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: ASA UK Ban PlusNet Broadband ISP TV Advert for Misleading Half Price Offer

Interesting...... I do wish advertisers  (ALL) not just plusnet... would make the "text" which is part of the advert`s conditions, more readable for longer.... using the thin white wording at the bottom of the screen ( which can be obsured by subtitles, if used, seems to me to be a bit of a "con" type get out... giving the advertiser the right to claim....." we did put it on the screen,.... it`s your fault if you did not  ( could not) read it "...
however... the last line is worth recording....

Happily we don’t often see PlusNet cropping up in the ASA’s weekly hit list so today is somewhat of a rarity.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This year's relevant adjudications http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/Advanced-Search.aspx?Start=1/9/2013&End=5/1/2013&Keyword...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero

Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Santiago
Grafter

Interesting development!
Two questions

Will the discount now due to me be backdated to the change over date to unlimited?
How will the money be paid back to me?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Me too...... Please....
Just changed to Unlimited... so need to get the price reduced to half price.... as it is available to existing customers.... this should be no problem... BUT...

do we have to "claim it back" ? ? ?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Maybe this thread should be moved to feedback for more visibility  as the above questions asked are very import to all customers that have moved to unlimited during the offer period(s).
If the article is correct, seems like PN will be paying back customers putting discounts on their accounts.
Can PN please respond to the above questions.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well my 6 months (since I moved to the new unlimited fibre) will be up on the 23rd so can we have an answer quickly please  Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As we've said before, if existing customers want to negotiate a discount on their bill they need to contact our Customer Options Team.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Chris, i feel you are giving a very general answer, i feel we need some in-depth answers.
Fox example i re contracted a customer account the other week, i asked CO if they can have the offer ( half price for 12 month ) , i was told no that is for new customers only, Given the above article which i assume is correct PN say that offer is open to existing customers.
After having a quick look over the said customers account they had to take a 2 yr contract for a discount.
So are customer who asked for the offer and was refused by CO and should not have been entitled to a refund and the discount added ?
Can you confirm offer available to all existing customers as reflected in the PN statement?
When the half price offer have been running , it was generally thought in the forums it was not open to existing customers but we now know it was.
Also the terms and condition's are misleading on the website ( if available to existing customers )
"New customers who place an order for Plusnet Essentials Broadband or Plusnet Unlimited Broadband and a home phone product by May 7th, 2013 get 50% off their monthly broadband rental charge for 12 months."
(my bold)
Regards
Mike

Chris
Legend

The offer was directed at new customers, as per the T&Cs you've quoted. If existing customers want to talk to us about their bill then we're happy to have that discussion to ensure they're getting the best deal we can offer to that at the time.
We're clarifying that line with ISPReview as there may be some confusion.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris
As we've said before, if existing customers want to negotiate a discount on their bill they need to contact our Customer Options Team.

Well worth doing, I'm not going to mention my particular discount nor contract period.
That's between myself and PlusNet.
Thank you PlusNet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
The offer was directed at new customers, as per the T&Cs you've quoted. If existing customers want to talk to us about their bill then we're happy to have that discussion to ensure they're getting the best deal we can offer to that at the time.
We're clarifying that line with ISPReview as there may be some confusion.

Chris maybe so (new customers) but the article and other says that its available to existing customers also , but until that line is clarified its up in the air as such.
Maybe you should contact TB and ASA as the articles on their websites both go along with what is said on ISPreview,
Taken from the Thinkbroadband article (paragraph four)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5813-plusnet-sent-to-the-headmaster-that-is-the-asa.html
"Plusnet said it was available to existing customers too "
Also from the ASA website
http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/5/PlusNet-plc/SHP_ADJ_218152.aspx
Under the heading response  (paragraph four)
"Clearcast said the ad clearly stated that the offer was available to new customers only and that information was included in the terms and conditions provided by PlusNet. They said "everyone's a winner" was not considered to be an all-encompassing claim but as referring to those who were eligible being winners. They said it was a common phrase in everyday use and they believed it would not be taken literally. They said PlusNet had now extended the offer to include existing customers and they had approved a new version of the ad on that basis."
Chris can you please post back when that line has been clarified.
(my bold)
Regards
Mike

Chris
Legend

We're getting clarification, we'll get back to you.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Thank Chris, much appreciated
Kind Regards
Mike