cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A whole month to activate?!

jxb895

A whole month to activate?!

Hi Plusnet,

I've tried live chat and I've emailed your CEO and COO. Am hoping this might be the next best step as I'm not getting any support whatsoever.

I bought broadband on July 31st. Today I was told it will be activated on September 1st. How is that okay?! It's not, is the answer. A whole month to activate broadband is unacceptable when you took a matter of seconds to take my money. Also, sending a text with the date rather than calling and apologising that it will take 31 days to provide the service you have charged me for. 

It's not okay!! 

I imagine there are others on this forum with similar experiences. Would be interested to know how they got round it. 

19 REPLIES 19
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: A whole month to activate?!

If it's unacceptable why don't you cancel the order and go elsewhere?
jxb895

Because then I have to go through the whole process again with a new provider, which won't get me internet any faster.

I want Plusnet to sort it out because it's with them. If I leave then I'm back to square one!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

A bit more information would help. Is it a new line, have you had broadband on it before from another supplier? Is it a new build?

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@jxb895 wrote:

Because then I have to go through the whole process again with a new provider, which won't get me internet any faster.

I want Plusnet to sort it out because it's with them. If I leave then I'm back to square one!

why do you think it won't get you internet any faster?
presumably you are thinking that 1 month wait is plusnets fault? thus another ISP wouldn't be a 1 month wait.

if you're saying it's not plusnet fault then why complain?

without knowing the specifics of your new install it's impossible to say whether 1 month is expected or too long.

jxb895

If the new provider can switch on my internet in two weeks, then I'm in no better position than staying with Plusnet. If they take longer then I'm worse off and I would bet none of them can do sub-two weeks because they never can. So it's lose/lose.

One month to set it up is ridiculous. If they're pushing an offer (which they are) then they should have the capacity to cope with an increase in sign ups. It's all well and good drawing people in but they need to back it up with some substance.

Taking a month is not okay. What's made it worse is the communication. If someone had called me, explained the situation and said "Sorry, it's going to take a whole month, which we know isn't great, but here's what we're going to do about it" then I might be a bit more understanding, but instead I get a text message. That's not the way to treat a new customer when you're giving them bad news. Especially when your entire business model is supposedly "We'll do you proud". 

The specifics are that the flat is ten years old, we're only the second occupiers. It's in a purpose built block. Previous owners were with Sky.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay in getting you setup. It's unfortunately due to engineer availability in your area. I can see you're in contact with one of my colleagues from our high level escalations team.

You can view and reply to the complaint ticket on your account here

If you'd like to go ahead with providing ADSL instead please reply to that ticket. Once ADSL goes live we can modify the service to fibre [that'll be subject to engineer availability still but at least you'll have broadband to keep you going]

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ben_A

I signed up for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra on the 17th August and was told on the 23rd that it wouldn't be active until the 15th September. I agree that this is shambolic service. Not to reveal the activation date until well after the order is unacceptable. I'm even more disappointed because a few days after signing up I thought the service was good and recommended Plusnet to a friend - now they also have a month's wait. I will certainly not be recommending Plusnet to anyone again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there @Ben_A

Having a look into your account, I can see we had to first reactivate the stopped line showing at your address.

We unfortunately couldn't have provided you with an activation date for your broadband service at that time because we hadn't placed your broadband order yet.

We should only be confirming a date once the order is placed and confirmed by our suppliers which I can see is what we did. I do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay because of engineer availability.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LG

I'm also having issues with connection to Plusnet - signed up end of July and I'm still not connected. In the meantime the contract with my old supplier has ended and I'm now being charged standard rate for calls & line rental which are over double what I was previously paying. If I'd thought it was going to take anywhere near this long I wouldn't have bothered changing supplier but I'd heard that customer service was good and the current offer seemed good value... the experience has been nothing but bad so far.

I had emails to welcome me to Plusnet, money taken from my bank for upfront line rental & 1st month's broadband and a new router sent to me. But no connection... Then I had various emails to say the order was delayed... the order was cancelled... they were waiting for an update on external work going on... I contacted Plusnet via live chat (the phone option for residential services didn't work) and eventually got a reply. The operator told me there was a fault with external equipment and they would give me an update the following week (beginning of September). Come September and I've had no update. How long can this take??! I might as well go back to Talk Talk, take out a new deal and give up on Plusnet. Can I get my money back easily?

toaster
Grafter

Have a look at mine its the same story

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Had-enough-of-this/td-p/1473157

Serously bad service

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

.... and all the stories have a common factor - supplier issues. There's a very high probability that these same issues would have been encountered by any other new ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@LG

From looking at your account, it looks like we've placed your broadband order to activate on BTwholesale equipment at the exchange which isn't available. The equipment is referred to as 21st century.

As such, the order was rejected by BTwholesale and we've had to place your order to activate on 20th century equipment instead. I'd imagine once capacity is restored in the future, we'll be able to regrade your service to 21st century.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, we'll confirm your activation date shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf,

This is crass stupid action from BTw.

One presumes that when THEIR system accepted the order there was capacity?  Their acceptance of the order should have secured resources or at the point of submission advised of the alternative services available with capacity.

Who in PN is sorting out this diabolical service from BT?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LG

Hi Gandalf, was this a mistake by Plusnet? I've just spent over an hour on the phone to the technical dept, the customer options dept and the provisions dept and ended up no further ahead in my endeavor to get this issue resolved. My previous supplier have cut off my phone and broadband because they were instructed to move it to Plusnet, and an update from Plusnet today tells me that I will not be connected until 15th Sept and might lose my phone number!! Can this service get any worse? I really wish I had never tried to change providers, or trusted the reviews which said that Plusnet gave good customer service.

I have established from your customer options dept that I can get a full refund if I cancel so I am going to contact Talk Talk again to see if they can reconnect me and give me my old number back. If not, I guess I'm stuck waiting for Plusnet and the hope of retaining the number which I never planned on losing.