Grafter

Re: A voice in the wilderness?

AND that never answered my question.
the answer to this question is  for the same reason you tried out talktalk
to see if  on value one  can  indeed manage and get by using a cheaper  ISP
its okay if cheapness is prime
and you are  prepared  to use them during the day  
not being able to stream or download hardly at all
if you need more than 10GB each month and if you dont want a 21cn product which is expensive and others can compete with it
plusnet offers no more than anyone
except for its live customer support
which now others are following and offering

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: giro

I have never been with them to know but as I dont like the spying on their own customers I wouldnt
want to be with them,
but tiscali  is  still running independently i'm told and  their LLU  worked fine during the time  i was with them
again  their  staff  i spoke to at their call centre were always polite  

You seem to contradict yourself  Undecided Undecided
Bold  is mine.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Fair enough but if TalkTalk had a 10GB product I wouldnt pick it knowing Id go through more than that.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
nadger
Rising Star

I really think that there's too much bad language here of late. This constant use of the "T" words should be censored  Sad
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes I agree with you nadger, Apologies for using the swear word, Lets keep on topic with the V word for Value Embarrassed
john50
Grafter

Well I've been with Lineone who were taken over by Tiscali who were then taken over by TT since about 2000 .
In honesty I never had a problem with Lineone or Tiscali  apart from Tiscali not wanting to keep Lineone email address's which I did just to be sodding, but it is so full of spam now its not worth it.
I am usaully quite happy floating about between newer packages with the same provider however I got a phone call a month or two back from TT offering me free anti virus the only thing they wanted was a new 18 month  contract oh and a £2.50 a month price increase which they forgot to tell me about,  I was on the pc at the time and pulled the package they were offering me  as a "valued customer" they had also forgot to mention the 40g cap (I was on a unlimited 100g fair usage ) but this was out of contract.
I had an incredible run around afterwards trying to find out my actual usage and confirmation I was really out of contract (I was 100% sure but wanted confirmation from them)
The support here is a joy to behold, in the ten years or so I 've been with TT and there predecesors I really have never known anything like the support Plusnet give.
Be carefull as the old saying go'es the grass isn't always greener !
thisoldman
Grafter

Thanks everyone for a very good discussion. TO clarify Im not complaining about plus net as such.
My key argument is that speed is largely irrelevant and its always amazed me the number of people on here and elsewhere who moan about their bb speed.
I repeat  (excuse me for doing so )  if you had a 500mb d/l speed it will still take you 35mins to d/l a 290mb video as the vast MAJORITY
of d/l sites have their own d/l speeds.
Sink mistoshu in japan has  a 100mb bb speed and she  gets , as do I ,a d/l speed of  82kps from rapid
                                                                                                                                                              72kps from hotfile
                                                                                                                                                              52kps from magic
so whats the point of a fst spped unless you are a gamer or doing something else more exotic.
Given that speed is therefore largely irrelevant , I stand by my argument that Plusnet and other isps can and should give customers on any product a much much larger monthly allowance.
Its all very well to talk about free usage on plusnet but has anyone thought about the fact such  usage is in breach of the  human rights act re discrimination.  How can elderly people  manage to stay awake to after midnight. How do nughtshift workers get free usage  how do school kids get free usage  how do single mums get free usage etc etc etc.
The free usage option is both discriminatory and unavailable to the majority of normal users.
sassy62
Grafter

I got a phone call a month or two back from TT offering me free anti virus

I have never paid for anti virus anyway...whats the point when there are really good free ones out there like AVG and AntiVir...
I think a lot of people are paranoid about viruses..my sister is a (very) silver surfer and only uses the internet for shopping and a couple of emails a week from her friends yet she has two paid for anti virus system on her compuer..pre loaded.
Unless your are frequenting dodgy  shareware sites and the like your hardly likely to pick anything up.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm with you there PP.  I use the free version of AVG and find that more than adequate.  Not had any problems.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: thisoldman
 How can elderly people  manage to stay awake to after midnight.

The same way they avoid being patronised, I suppose?  Either that, or they get the nice young man next door to come round and set them up with a computer software program to schedule all their big downloads for after midnight, when they are safely tucked up in bed....
Wink
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Cheeky so and so - I set up the schedule myself  Grin Grin
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's good to see some debate over this issue and I'm glad to hear that we've been able to make some people happy with the regrades!
As per our recent discussions around Plusnet Pro, our packages do come under review and we change them to suit the current market and our current customer base. We've had a lot of positive feedback over the speed increases and I've passed your feedback back to our Marketing Team that some people would like a little more usage to go along with it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

As a Silver Surfer, I dont have any trouble with speeds or download, Think I got switched over this morning, was on 20cn Value syncing at 8128, now thing on 21cn ADSL2 router shows over 15M, I have got faster upload, but waiting for the download to catch up
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
I'm with you there PP.  I use the free version of AVG and find that more than adequate.  Not had any problems.
You should try Microsoft security essentials, Its light and has good ratings and better than AVG. And its free aswell.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Think I got switched over this morning, was on 20cn Value syncing at 8128, now thing on 21cn ADSL2 router shows over 15M, I have got faster upload, but waiting for the download to catch up
I was wondering when you'd be switched.
To date my connection has proven to be stable but I'm waiting to get my upstream capped so that I get an increased downstream - very rarely upload anything.