Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign of things to come ?

simonb1
Grafter

Re: A sign of things to come ?

@Matt Taylor
Hi Matt, would it be possible for you to contact me by phone directly, I have called CS this morning who didn't install me with confidence and sounded vague as to the issue, telling me they still hadn't had notes back from the engineer which is contrary to what you stated yesterday, and he is sending me a new router.
Thanks in advance
Edit:    Ticket got updated after this post
We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now escalated your Question [number  69458217 ]
for further investigation.
The following comment was added to the Question
Dear Mr ***********,
Following the engineer visit, your issue now seems to be resolved as your speed tests are showing your speeds are now much higher than the 30Mbps you reported on raising the fault.
I apologise for any inconvenience this fault may have caused.
-----------------------------------------
You have got to be kidding me ?

Edit 2: engineers report.
Engineer notes on 1-16084014392 [sic]:
"**RAstart Customer R A-RA **RAend eu reports slow ip s peeds. Test at Openr each demarcation poi nt with JDSU tester. Passed VDSL test wi th stable sync and n o errors. Data rate 80Mbps downstream Pa ssed PQ test and Ecl ipse.Had to fit inte rnal data extenision and rejumper in pcp for quality purpose s. changed modem als o and rest dlm. Unab le to detrmine what RF cause is, RF3 fil ter did not work. EU will monitor speeds but is happy to I h ave done all I can f or now. Test and Dem onstrated to mr ********"

PTTR: 63820kbps (as at 20-05-2013 18:05:52), so much greater than the 30Mbps reported when raising fault.
GEA error free on both up and downstream.
Now looking resolved. Will pass back.
Kind regards,
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just noticed something on running another check: (this is more for the benefit of Anotherone, Simon I'll be in touch shortly)
72.0 Mbps  80.0 Mbps  77.0 Mbps 
That's min, max and average Smiley
Now, given that I'm not worried about the speed test results not matching what we're seeing. There is still some worry given the engineer's mention of RF (radio frequency) interference but I can't see any evidence of this - I'm now almost certain that it's the router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Is the Min, Max, Avg the standard DLM sync banding for this connection?  There's still a bit of a puzzle with the PPPoE Dialler throughput speed variability, and the oddity with the BTw Speedtester, but it's obviously worth trying another Router.
simonb1
Grafter

Thanks for your telephone call this afternoon Matt, most helpful.
I will report back when in possession of the new router Wink
simonb1
Grafter

Got home this after noon after a day and a half away for work, to find a new Router waiting for me Smiley  well done Matt delivered over night.
Been doing speed tests all evenining and getting no where near the expected speeds, that is until after midnight in the off peek hours
This is from the Openreach router PPPoE at 1am  (the best I acheived)
Download speedachieved during the test was - 73.83 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.61Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
These are from the New router throughout the evening

And again now Open reach modem PPPoE

Are we seeing exchange congestion up until midnight ?
The new modem seems to be working as it should, but still concerns as to the speeds earlier in the evening
Anotherone
Champion

Well at least it looks like your line appears to be good, you must be syncing at 80Mbps. The speedtest results certainly seem to indicate congestion somewhere.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect it would be contention (can't think of anything else for it) but I'm very, very glad to see the new router achieving the speeds it should be doing Smiley
Having said that, just checked the exchange for contention and there's nothing on there - I guess what with you having said you're the first person connected to the cab there shouldn't be any contention issues at exchange level. 21CN certainly looks fine on there.
I hope it was just a case of the router getting up to speed and you shouldn't be seeing those sorts of speeds again - I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one. Thanks for coming back to us though, and really glad the new router has improved things.
Anotherone
Champion

Before I forget yet again simonb1 Embarrassed  were all the tests through the Router wired or wireless?
simonb1
Grafter

All wired Anotherone, my laptop wireless only connects at 54Mbps ( Realtek RTL8188CE) and rarely achieves  that in reality. I believe it should connect at 150Mbps using "N" but for some reason wont connect at that even though its set for "N" in properties and router set at 20 - 40 mhz ?
Thank you all for your help and support so far  Smiley
Simon