Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign of things to come ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: A sign of things to come ?

DCT members on here don't work weekends I'm afraid. Did you get the same sort of speeds with the PPPoE dialler as you did with the Router previously?
And no you haven't made a mistake. If you want Fibre you would have this problem whoever the ISP in the case of a fault like this. But you get better support here.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To be fair, if the BTo Engineer finished the job at 5pm on Friday, there's every chance that his office won't see his report until Monday - only then are they likely to pass on the relevant information to Plusnet and until Plusnet get the information from the engineer's report they can't progress things for you.
The fact that he said he'd close the job with relevant notes should give hope of further action to resolve the problem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see we have got notes, basically detailing what was tested and how (including the mention of the JDSU) however they state that testing showed no faults and that the engineer was able to demonstrate line tests that showed no problems?
Please let us know if that's the case and also if the issue is still ongoing (I'm assuming so given your update yesterday) and and we'll pass the fault back for further investigation.
Anotherone
Champion

I think you should assume it's ongoing from his last post and pass it back to faults. Only getting just a touch over half the speed he should, he did not sound too happy in that last post  Huh
simonb1
Grafter

No Mention that that JDSU  showed an RF fault, no mention that he had to rewire the connection in the cabinet as the original installer (sub-contractor) had done a shoddy job (his words), no mention that although the JDSU showed a 80/20 connection at the master socket that this could not be replicated using 2 different PC's. The highest d/l speed achieved was 73mb after he had rewired the cabinet and this was taken whilst directly connected to the Openreach modem using PPPoE (which he was unaware could be done) and happened only once. Is there no mention of his telephone calls to senior colleagues as he couldn't understand what was going on, is there also no mention of his lift and shift comment, Is there no mention that he swapped the openreach modem in the hope it might have been faulty, is there no mention that once hard wired to the plusnet router the maximum speed achievable was half that of the openreach modem. Is there no explanation of exactly what he was doing at my house for 2 1/2 hours ?
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, right. Well to be fair to everyone, you did not make it crystal clear over the weekend, that you were still getting the full speed on a PPPoE Dialler connection, but only half or so when using the Router - because this sounds like a Router issue if that's the case. You really need to double check that. You haven't had a replacement Router have you? If you can confirm you are getting full speed on the PPPoE Dialler connection.Plusnet will send you a replacement Router I'm sure.
simonb1
Grafter

PPPoE is erratic, as previously stated it can be anything from 40mb to 73mb never constant, 1 test varies from the next in a short space of time. When connected (wired) to the router max speed achieved is 40 / 45mb, the router was brand new out of the box on fiber installation 10th May
Edit:
I do have to appologise for my communication rant yesterday as I have just noticed this added to my ticket:
Script User - Automated Script Pool
6:05pm, Friday 17 May 2013
We would like to inform you that your Help Assistant Question [ 69458217 ] has now been returned to the BOT - FTTC Logged Faults - Post SFI pool. A member of our Support Team will investigate your issue as soon as possible.
But to be fair my Main Help Assistant page states:
11 May 2013 69458217 Awaiting support team answer ViewClose
So without clicking on view I assumed It had not been modified since 11th May hence i didn't press "View", It would be handy if there was some sort of notification (txt,email) when a ticket is amended.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't apologise for the rant, it was a polite one  Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi simonb1,
I'm starting to agree with Anotherone here in that it may well be a hardware issue, as your downstream line rate is solid at 72Mb/s. Please could you run two BT speed tests (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com) - one when connected directly to the modem, and one with a wired connection to the router - and we'll take things from there? Most likely is that we'll get you another router out.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried different ports on the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
simonb1
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi simonb1,
I'm starting to agree with Anotherone here in that it may well be a hardware issue, as your downstream line rate is solid at 72Mb/s. Please could you run two BT speed tests (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com) - one when connected directly to the modem, and one with a wired connection to the router - and we'll take things from there? Most likely is that we'll get you another router out.

It nothing like solid at 72mb ?
Quote from: simonb1
PPPoE is erratic, as previously stated it can be anything from 40mb to 73mb never constant, 1 test varies from the next in a short space of time.

Test 1:  Directly to the Plusnet Router  (using a different port)
Download speedachieved during the test was - 44.34 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.83Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Test 2: Directly to Openreach Modem using PPPoE
Download speedachieved during the test was - 45.79 Mbps
Additional Information:
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.43Mbps
Additional Information:

Test 2 again:  10 minutes later
Download speedachieved during the test was - 63.82 Mbps
Additional Information:
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: simonb1
It nothing like solid at 72mb ?

Matt is talking about your sync speed to the Cab. And the fact that it is solid is something to be very thankful for. Line issues can be a far worse problem to deal with in some circumstances.
From your last tests, (and taking note of your more recent comments) this tends to suggest that the Router is not OK.
What I find more interesting, is the fact that you will have had several drops in PPP sessions as a result of the testing, yet the BTw speedtest is still showing a Profile of 77.44 (and has done throughout) which equates to a sync speed of 80Mbps whereas Matt is seeing 72Mbps.
So something in BTw's systems is somewhat screwed up which takes us back to the comments made by the Engineer on Friday. Whether this is the DSLAM in the Cab or something further upstream at the exchange causing this I wouldn't know, more likely the DSLAM.
Edit: Correct typo giving wrong comment about Router.
simonb1
Grafter

which probably answers why I cant get over the 72/3 mb mark whilst hard connected to the Openreach modem (doesn't answer why it is so erratic though)
 Smiley

And I am starting to believe its the plusnet router as Matt suggests, as whilst hard connected to that
Sad

Im willing to try a replacement router Wink    and anything that can be done about the 72mb your end and 80mb according to BT as @Anotherone mentioned Matt ?
Anotherone
Champion

This is an extremely confusing picture and I suspect there could be several things going on. When you are posting speed test results can also include the BTw Diagnostic result as well as any others run immediately before or after the BTw test, and as well as stating how you are connected (as you have above) for that result.
To go back to last Friday, reply #24 -  was that first test via the Router? And was the 2nd test exactly the same connection?
The fact that Matt says he sees 72Mbps, and the fact that the Speedtester continues to show a profile of 77.44Mbps, along with the engineer comments clearly suggests that there is a problem on BT's systems, taking note of the engineers comment probably at the Cab DSLAM.
Whether this accounts for the variability in uncertain, but possible. A fault on the DSLAM could cause it, but to me the timing of the slower results throws a suggestion of congestion into the mix. It won't be congestion at the Cab if you are the only (or possibly one of few) users now on the Cab, but it could be Exchange or BT backhaul.
Before you post the next BTw speedtest result, can you make sure you have logged into the Router and clicked Disconnect to drop the PPP session, waited 30 seconds and clicked Connect.
A look at the Radius log by Plusnet would be a good idea to see if BT and Plusnet systems are seeing PPP session stops and starts.
Can you also confirm whether you have recently heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? You were asked earlier by someone if you suffered any drops on your previous BE ADSL connection?
simonb1
Grafter

Wont be able to perform any tests for a few days as away on business.  I have no crackling on the phone (17070), Adsl used to reconnect every 3 or four days ( I put this down to placing myself on the speed profile over the stable profile) but would sometimes stay up for weeks. The only Adsl problem I had was when the exterior cabling corroded at the top of the pole causing noise on the line and the SNR going through the roof, but was quickly resolved by BT that was a few years back, It never went back to it original sync speed though but maintained a good 13mb (was originally 16mb).
Ps Matt
Ticket still hasn't been responded to.
Edit:
Sorry didnt answer your question about #24,   Both those tests were done via the Openreach modem using PPPoE (same session)