Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign of things to come ?

simonb1
Grafter

A sign of things to come ?

Sorry but my first post is going to be a rant :
After a very smooth migration from BE my fiber was connected on Friday 10th of May as promised, Plusnet so far well done !. However it became apparent shortly after install when testing speed on both speedtest.net and http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ that the 80/20 speed that both Plusnet and Bt described that my line would achieve (very close to the exchange, green cabinet within meters of my house) was not available to me, in fact 35/14 is about the norm.
I telephoned Plusnet shortly after install on 10th May and a ticket was raised and closed ?#69428204 being told to call back again on the 11th. I called again on the 11th, 15 minutes of  elevator music later I finally got through again thus raising another ticket #69458576, I entered the speed results (obtained directly from the Openreach modem) into this ticket as requested then low and behold this ticket was then closed with instructions to view ticket #69458217 instead.
Yesterday after awaiting some resolve having now waited 72 hours from original call, I decided to add comment to the ticket asking what the position now was. As yet I have not had the common decency of a reply
Is this the service I am to expect going forward ?
53 REPLIES 53
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: A sign of things to come ?

Quote from: simonb1
I decided to add comment to the ticket asking what the position now was. As yet I have not had the common decency of a reply
Is this the service I am to expect going forward ?

Reading comments elsewhere it appears likely that when you update a ticket yourself, e.g. by adding a comment, it goes to the back of the queue!  Cry
Not the cleverest of systems if true - anyone from PN care to comment and/or confirm and say how/when this will be changed if that is how it works?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I'm really sorry to hear that your speeds aren't what was expected. Please bear in mind that there is an initial 10 day line training period where speeds can gradually increase to the maximum stable level. However, we can look at this in the meantime to see if any faults can be identified, sorry to see we've not replied in great detail yet so I'll do my best to get a member of the faults team to take a look at this ASAP for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
simonb1
Grafter

Thank you for your reply Adam
I was always under the impression that the 10 day settling in period was just a myth on Fiber products or so the experts on thinkbroadband.com had me believe. That being said when I signed up for the package I was given this as my expected speeds:
Telephone number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
IVER
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-30 11:28:47
Current line speed:
78 Mb
And when shopping around all the other competitors for my custom  including Bt Infinity gave me estimates of 80/20
However I did not expect to see a 35/15 connection from the start, and from placing a call within an hour of installation on Friday I did not expect to have not heard anything now on the following Tuesday. Since my OP I have telephoned customer services for an update as communication has not been forthcoming from them, only to be fobbed of the phone stating there is no update and my ticket will be updated when there is any news.
I just did not expect this lack of customer service as a brand new customer (perhaps my expectations are to high)
Thanking you again for taking the trouble for trying to get this to a resolve.
Simon
Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It looks to me that PN have placed you on the 40/10 service rather than the 80/20. This is a common problem & should be quickly resolved. Often the quickest way to get it resolved is to phone customer support.
You're quite correct, as far as I understand it the 10 day line training period doesn't apply to fibre.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It looks to me that PN have placed you on the 40/10 service rather than the 80/20. This is a common problem & should be quickly resolved. Often the quickest way to get it resolved is to phone customer support.

No need, I've checked and that isn't the case, I've emailed 2 of our faults team leaders to ask an agent to deal with your ticket so someone will respond to you ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Oops, sorry Adam, didn't mean to interfere. Embarrassed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Don't worry about it!  Smiley
FYI it's one of the very first things we check when looking posts like this.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
simonb1
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

No need, I've checked and that isn't the case, I've emailed 2 of our faults team leaders to ask an agent to deal with your ticket so someone will respond to you ASAP.
Adam

Thanks Adam
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hello simonb1, welcome to the forum by the way.
First there is nothing wrong with your line per se, your DS BT IP Profile is 77.44 from the Diagnostic result of the BTw speetest. This means that your sync speed is 77.44 x1.033 on FTTC - did you say the cabinet was in your front garden  Wink
Second,  the Current Line Speed is initially set at 78Mbps on a new install and should eventually update to 77.4 assuming your BT IP profile doesn't change.
The comments about no 10 day training period on Fibre are correct,  but BTw won't consider a line fault within 10 days as there isn't enough line data. However DLM is active and can be especially aggressive in the first 2 days if there are any problems on the line.
But this does not seem like a line fault, there is some issue with the profiles between the BT servers and Plusnet.
On FTTC, updates to the bRAS servers depend on the establishing of a new PPP session, so there is one thing you could try -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds with the establishment of a new PPP session.
Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.  Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Current line speed:
78 Mb
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The above pieces of information from your post confirm that you are 80/20 and that nothing at the Plusnet end is restricting your speed.
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen confirmation from you that the speeds you are seeing are when you are connected to the router using an Ethernet cable (and not tests run using a wireless connection) - could you confirm?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
simonb1
Grafter

@jelv
I entered the speed results (obtained directly from the Openreach modem)

I took out/disconected the middleman (plusnet wireless router) and connected my laptop via Ethernet directly to the Openreach Modem using my laptop as the router, directly into the master socket (I have no extensions) the above are those speed test results.
Quote from: Anotherone
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds with the establishment of a new PPP session.
Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.  Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).

@Anotherone   I will try this later this and report back, unfortunately I am at work at the moment and out this evening, so will not be able to attempt until tomorrow  evening
but my reply to @jelv should already answer this question.
As a side note, my ticket has now been responded to this morning (thanks @Adam Walker) and a BT engineer has been arranged to visit on Friday afternoon, lets hope its actually an Openreach engineer this time and not a subcontractor who did the install.
Edit:
One thing I have noticed (don't no whether it has any relevance) is that whilst downloading Via my paid usenet server "Newshosting" that the download speeds fluctuate like a yoyo between 35 and 10, is this usual for fiber ?
MKICampaign
Dabbler

@jelv
I entered the speed results (obtained directly from the Openreach modem)

I took out/disconected the middleman (plusnet wireless router) and connected my laptop via Ethernet directly to the Openreach Modem using my laptop as the router, directly into the master socket (I have no extensions) the above are those speed test results.

As jelv has stated it doesn't look like an Openreach issue based on the IP profile. I suspect that your laptop cannot saturate the bandwidth provided.
I have this issue as my work Core i5 laptop cannot do this, my Ultrabook cannot do this and my wife's iPad cannot do this. I have a single desktop PC that can fully saturate my VDSL2 connection.
I fear that the "engineer" visit may be a waste of time. Can you try any other hardware?
simonb1
Grafter

@MKICampaign
I doubt very much that this is the case as I also have a top of the range gaming PC (Alienware Aurora) and am getting the same results with that, in fact this was what I was using when I first checked the speed of my new connection after install.
I am personally suspecting its the copper wire from the house to the pole (or corroded connections at pole)beside the fiber cabinet.
MKICampaign
Dabbler

Did you plug your gaming PC directly into the Openreach modem or have you only tried this with the laptop? Do you know the specification of the network card within your gaming PC?
If you are going to retry the test with your laptop, I would suggest making sure it is plugged in (i.e. not running on battery), the power saving scheme is set to maximum performance, any virus checker is disabled and all superfluous applications are terminated.
If it is the wiring at fault as you have suggested I do not understand how your current IP profile could be 77.44 Mbps.
dick:quote