Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of faith

HalfShaft
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

A bit of faith

Been a happy customer for a good few years now (and still am), only needed CS a few times and have been well pleased by it (epically compared to a certain 3 letter ISP that I was on before) .
However my old Thompson 585v8 finally bit the dust so called up to get a replacement, and had to sign up for a 12 month contract to get it.  Come on, you have that little faith in your long term customers that your that scared they will run off with a £36 piece of hardware? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technicolour-TG582n-Port-Wireless-Router/dp/B005ELFTH4).  Keep your service as good as it is and you wont need to lock us in over £36, we'll be staying put regardless!
11 REPLIES 11
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Re: A bit of faith

Our local Tesco is doing Linksys 300Mbs routers for a tenner right now. If I needed one, I know where I would be going.
Apprentice
Grafter

@ HalfShaft
I'm sure you've probably come across this fairly well known saying?   Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's just business, give someone something with an apparent 'value' in return for a commitment.
In addition to the above, 'Sprats to catch mackerel' also springs to mind.
If you have no intention of leaving within the next 12 months then you have 'nothing to loose', alternatively there are cheap routers available with adequate spec. which will avoid the 'tie-in'.
You're the customer, it's your choice.
My own preference is to use a much better router that, hopefully, will work with any ISP I might use now or in the future (though I have no reason or wish to leave Plusnet at present).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If  you're a new plusnet customer then you do get a free lunch, paid for by the old customers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Difficult to disagree with that.
Still reasonable value for existing customers though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It does a job and the deal from PN seems fair.
I doubt they make much profit from the average customer, not enough to pay for a router, but presumably there's a trade-off in (hopefully) reduced support calls from those supplied with a standard preconfigured router.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: 77
Still reasonable value for existing customers though.

I'd say it is still good value for existing customers. I can't find anywhere else which would offer me the same service/features for less money than I'm paying.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for your feedback, HalfShaft.
I'll ensure this is passed on to the relevant team.
Apprentice
Grafter

I'm happy with the reliable service that I get from PN which is partly why I took the offer of a 24 month retention deal for BB and switched the LR to PN to get it even cheaper for a user connected to a 20CN market 1 exchange, i.e not a low cost area.
A not too small part was knowing from experience of the great help that is available from PN Staff monitoring these forums, fortunately I haven't had to make use of it all that often.  Wink
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Exactly the same situation here. Originally signed up on a month to month contract, was so impressed with the service signed up on an annual contract and moved phone and line rental to PN. Have recently renewed on a 2 year contract. Also in a Market 1 exchange, but the speeds are fast and consistent (as much as they can be on 20CN).
Compared to my last provider (TalkTalk), PN are so much better, both in broadband performance and customer service.
Nothing is perfect, but compared to some of the other providers out there, I think PN is a good choice.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

That makes 3 of us!!