Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN and ADSL2+ confusion

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

21CN and ADSL2+ confusion

Something we often see on here is posts which confuse 21CN and ADSL2+ where people think that if you are not on ADSL2+ you are not on 21CN. However Plusnet do provision people on 21CN but set their accounts to ADSL1 and others set their routers to only attempt to connect as ADSL1 as it works betters for them than ADSL2+.
So reading this didn't please me:
21 CN Broadband Connectivity (62678) - New
ADSL Dial
Posted on: Sunday 11 July 2010, 11:23
Some of our customers in the south west of the country are reporting a loss of connection which occurred around 9:39am.
All affected customers are on the '21st. Century Network' ie. on the ADSL2+ service.
Routers are remaining in sync with the exchange but affected users are unable to regain connection.
We have reported this to our network providers and will update when we have further information.

Not good enough!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8 REPLIES 8
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 21CN and ADSL2+ confusion

Thanks Jelv, I agree - this wasn't accurate and isn't what's expected of us Sad Out of hours, most service status updates are done by the Technical Support shift teams, as opposed to the Digital Care team so they may not be as experienced in the fine details of the service. However, it's important that we get these things right. Sorry.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not sure which aspect bothers me most, the inaccurate posting or that a senior member of the Technical Support team seems to think that 21CN means ADSL2+.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

even more confusion.  I am on Value, 20cn  my exchange is 21CN.  I have been on a gateway that appears to be 21CN  exclusive, had a 21CN outrage, my line kept working
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There are several gateways that support both 20CN and 21CN lines. Which one were you on?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: pierre_pierre
even more confusion.  I am on Value, 20cn  my exchange is 21CN.  I have been on a gateway that appears to be 21CN  exclusive, had a 21CN outrage, my line kept working

You're on 20CN, none of our gateways are 21CN exclusive any more. As such, we wouldn't have expected you to be affected by the outage Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ jelv, a few months ago but think it was thn ag2
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

To add to the confusion...  my 21CN changeover was the 8th July. I regraded to the Extra service on the 9th and was told "you'll definitely see higher speeds immediately once the training period has sorted it, so you should see higher speeds by the 15th."
My "questions" actually have a response from a CSC saying that he confirms I am on ADSL2.
However, Ben Trimble earlier today informed me that an order for ADSL2+ should be completed on Friday 16th July. So much for CSC accuracy!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about the mis-communication. Not everyone in the CSC has access to the 21CN ordering system to check these things, and hence have other information on your account to go on. However, this information is sometimes updated before the order has completed. This is being addressed as part of our ongoing training.