cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You did yourself proud

You did yourself proud

You did yourself proud

Yorkshire Marathon Logo The first Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon has been hailed a huge success with charities emerging as the event's big winners. Over 6,000 runners signed up to take part in the inaugural race raising an estimated £1.3m for a host of good causes. Thousands of spectators lined the streets to cheer on the participants as they made their way around the picturesque 26.2 mile route, which started and finished at the University of York.

Entries from around the world

Entries came from as far as Canada, Australia and the USA. The field included a host of elite athletes and the honour of winning the first Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon went to Edwin Korir of Kenya who clocked a time of 2:13:31. The first winner of the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon - Edwin Korir Twelve brave faces from the Plusnet ranks also battled the course with some impressive times. Gus Thompson was the first Plusnetter across the line in 3:41:01.  Kelly Dorset also broke the four hour mark coming in at 3:55:44. Gus said:

"I had a fantastic day yesterday at the Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon. It was a really tough challenge but the atmosphere was brilliant and the supporters were amazing - the free jelly babies they were giving out definitely helped me get round the course!"

How did the Plusnet Staff get on?

Gus Thompson 3:41:01; Kelly Dorset 3:55:44; Julian Walshaw 4:08:46; James Lightfoot 4:29:53; Jake Sutherland 4:37:19; Lee Simister 4:53:13; Katie Gambles; 4:55:52; Mark Hopewell 5:05:13; Marc Cully 5:42:15; Sam Simpson Oldale 7:42:01; Louis Woods, (stopped through injury). Plusnet's very own Gus Thompson

James Potter Eggs Yorkshire Marathon Corporate Relay Challenge

In addition, another six Plusnetters took part in the James Potter Eggs Yorkshire Marathon Corporate Relay Challenge which saw them take on the 26.2 miles distance as a team. So far, Plusnet runners have managed to raise £1,959 for Roundabout. Starting the relay for Plusnet was Commercial & Marketing Director, Nick Rawlings who said:

"The event attracted thousands into the streets and York was awash with Plusnet pink yesterday.  It was emotional being part of the race".

Nick was joined by James Mitchell, Matt Shearwood, Dan Hewitt and Rhys Turner with Mo Ayaz bringing the team home. After starting the race with Dickie Bird, Plusnet CEO Jamie Ford said:

"Today has been a fantastic event, not only full of great sporting challenges but some truly unique Yorkshire spirit.  I am proud Plusnet has played a part in staging this event."

Celebrity Runners

The race also attracted entries from celebrities who either tackled the full 26.2 miles or took part in the James Potter Eggs Yorkshire Marathon Corporate Relay Challenge. They included BBC Look North's Harry Gration, actors Tony Audenshaw and Chris Chittell  from ITV's Emmerdale, former Leeds United and England international footballer Danny Mills, BBC weather presenter Keeley Donovan, double gold medal Paralympian Hannah Cockroft, Leeds Rhino's legend Keith Senior, BBC Sport's presenter George Riley, ITV Yorkshire Calendar presenter Christine Talbot, Olympian Tracey Morris, BBC Look North sports reporter Tanya Arnold and Olympic marathoner Tracey Morris. Celebrity Runners Following the success of the first Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon, the race looks destined to become a major date on the county's sporting calendar and attention now turns to next year's event, which takes place on Sunday 12th October 2014. Don't forget to enter our Facebook prize draw to win a Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS sports watch, just go to facebook.com/plusnet and click the 'Win With Plusnet' app. Runners who want to be part of next year's action are advised to get in early. They can currently sign up to a pre-sale register which will open for entries on Friday 3rd January. Regular entries will then go live on Monday 6th January. Go to www.theyorkshiremarathon.com for details.

0 Thanks
2 Comments
2 Comments
Kelly
Hero
Ow! Sad
slockley
A lot of people working very hard for some amazing causes, I wish I was in a fit state to get myself involved. I would like to set myself a target of doing this next year, we will see.