cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it Blend?

Will it Blend?

Will it Blend?

We’ve spent the week trying to find a suitable follow up to last week’s Geocaching extravaganza. Our brief - to find something that combines news about the very latest technology, but which also raises fundamental questions about life in the 21st century. Then it got to 3pm on Friday, and we couldn’t be bothered. So we took a different path, and thought we’d ask Tom Dickson this simple question - “Will it blend?”

We know that the site has been around for a while – it’s a classic example of a great viral campaign. If you’re not familiar with ‘Will it Blend?’ – video clips are posted regularly of seemingly random objects getting smashed up in an industrial-strength blender. It really is the height of Friday afternoon sillyness.

Our current favourite clip provides the key piece of info we’re all keen to know about the new Apple iPad: If any of you have other examples of hilarious viral ad campaigns then please let us know. And if you’d like to see if something blends, send your suggestions to: http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/suggestions.aspx.

0 Thanks
4 Comments
4 Comments
mitchell20
Grafter
I cannot believe Plus Net are been SO irresponsible by posting links to crap like this. I really really thought better of you Plus Net. DO YOU HONESTLY NOT THINK THAT IF CHILDREN OR YOUNGER PEOPLE SEE THIS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TRY AND DO THIS THEMSELVES? TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE PLUS NET.
orbrey1
Not applicable
Hi Mitchell20, I'm really sorry to hear you feel that way, it certainly wasn't anyone's intention to cause offence with this post. The will it blend series of viral marketing ads like this has been going on for a while on Youtube and hasn't to my knowledge received any warnings or age classifications, and there are warnings during the video. I don't think it shows us as actively promoting the destruction of things though, and certainly not anything more than that. The gentleman in the video makes it clear the item being blended is his own posession, and the series of these videos are nothing more than an extended tongue in cheek advert for the blender itself. I think the humour in the video is clear enough that people will know it's not to be taken seriously, and it's been posted simply because it's a very good example of viral advertising - an advertising concept that's becoming very popular these days, with companies like Sony and Samsung making very similar videos. As an ISP we wouldn't be able to stay competitive if we didn't take note of the trends that sweep across the internet, and the blogs are intended more as a record of this for information's sake.
Mark8
Not applicable
The problem is 99% of the general public are too stupid to see past viral marketing campaigns. Microsoft and Apple use this to good effect, using positive viral marketing to promote their goods and negative viral marketing to tarnish their competitors.
slockley
Matt I must agree with you on all of your points there, its great that the masses have not only accepted this humour but also appreciated with the acceptance of its dangers and realistic use. Throughout the video the user explains not to try this at home, not to breath in the dust afterwards and also he doesn't say go out and buy one either so throughout this video its advised against such use. Putting an 18 certificate on this video would just make it more interesting, not safer or even acceptable.