cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's Getting Geared Up?

Who's Getting Geared Up?

Who's Getting Geared Up?

It's an interesting job sometimes working in traffic management. Sometimes I have a legitimate reason for watching TV or looking at the Radio Times. Have to make sure the football's working for you all on Sky Player or the Grand Prix on iPlayer Smiley This Sunday is going to be a big day for TV, at 7pm there's the new episode of Doctor Who, at 8pm X-Factor and at 9pm a choice of the new series of Top Gear and the new series of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here amongst others. Both Doctor Who and Top Gear will be in HD too. So how is this going to affect us? Well in the past we've seen a little dip in traffic when Doctor Who is on then traffic starts to rise again while there's a sizeable increase in iPlayer traffic, especially the last special as that was the first in HD. Top Gear we saw a massive increase in iPlayer for the last series so we're expecting even more this time around. With it being in HD and an hour later and with I'm a Celebrity on at the same time we're expecting as much if not more so on Monday as people watch it the next day rather than staying up. Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting. We've made some backend changes to our network configurations so that we're prepared. The changes mean that network can allocate the bandwidth in the most appropriate way depending on how much demand there is for iPlayer to ensure the the streams work OK. The changes will also mean that at the same time ensure for those people browsing, using VPN or other interactive traffic also don't see any major issues either. Some people may see a reduction in speeds particularly downloads or from speedtests but the priority will be to ensure that interactive traffic like browsing and streaming will be fine. We'll post an update on Monday or Tuesday showing what we saw and how much traffic everything did. Dave Tomlinson Plusnet Network Transformation

0 Thanks
7 Comments
7 Comments