cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to faster upload speeds for Unlimited Fibre

Soon we’ll start to provide faster upload speeds to our ‘up to 38Mbps’ Plusnet Unlimited Fibre customers.

We know how important it is to be able to upload content quickly, especially to social media, so we’re making improvements and raising the maximum possible upload speed for customers on this product.

At the moment, customers on this product can get upload speeds of ‘up to 1.9Mbps’ but we’re increasing that to ‘up to 9.5Mbps’, at no additional cost. Your download speed will also remain the same, but you should benefit from faster speeds when uploading photos and video to the likes of Facebook or sending emails.

New Plusnet Unlimited Fibre customers will start getting the faster upload speed from the point of sign-up, and we’ll also start to move our existing ‘up to 38Mbps’ customers to the faster upload speed from November.

What speed should I get?

On our sales page we describe the speeds of our various broadband services as being ‘up to’ a certain speed. This is the ‘advertised speed’ and is the maximum speed generally possible using that type of connection or product.

It’s a purely technical description which helps you choose the type of product suitable for you – however you need to bear in mind that not all products may be available in your area and the actual speed you’ll get will depend on your particular telephone line.

We give you a much more accurate speed estimate when you sign-up to us, based on your phone number and postcode. This is your ‘estimated line speed’ – the speed we’ll provide to your router.

But that isn’t the end of the story; in reality, the broadband speed that you receive is dependent on a whole list of factors:
• The type of broadband or fibre product you have chosen
• Distance of your property from the nearest BT roadside cabinet or Exchange
• Quality and age of your phone line
• Electrical interference from things like generators and power lines
• The number of people sharing the network
• Your router and wi-fi setup within your property

So your actual speed, for both downloading and uploading, is governed by your actual line conditions as much as your product. If you’re on ‘up to 38Mbps’ Plusnet Unlimited Fibre you should see an increase in your upload speed and this should fall between your current value and up to a maximum of 9.5Mbps, depending on the factors listed above.

How can I check what speeds I’m get?

You can test both your upload and download speeds by doing a speed test, this will more accurately tell you your speeds in Megabits per second (Mbps).

Doing a speed test will show you how fast your Internet connection is from your device (PC, laptop, tablet, phone etc) to the Internet – this is known as your ‘throughput’ speed. This will always be less than your line speed. All sorts of factors come into play when carrying out a throughput test, not least wi-fi.

Figure 1. The difference between line speed and throughout speed

The difference between line speed and throughout speedThe difference between line speed and throughout speed

It’s often overlooked, but the speed you get from your Internet connection is greatly affected by how your home network and router (Plusnet Hub) is set up.
If you have your router downstairs and connect over wi-fi upstairs for example, this can provide a much slower connection than if you were closer to the router or connecting to it using Ethernet cables.

So what will I see from this change?

An increase in upload speed means...
Social gamers – If you, or someone in your household, is a keen gamer then this is great news. Faster upload speeds are needed for using game streaming apps such as Twitch, Hotbox or YouTube Gaming and will mean you should have a much smoother experience.
Families – Is your household home to many connected devices including TV, tablet, laptops and smartphones, where everyone is trying to do something different? A great upload speed will mean that more people can be using the Internet at the same time without things slowing down.
Streamers – Love to live stream? Then you should also start to find that not only will the quality be better but you will also have a more consistent stream.

43 Comments
43 Comments
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Well done PlusNet.  Thumbs_Up

Does this mean I can put my old Internet Radio station up again?..if so, WOOO-HOOO. Cheesy

mmace
Grafter

[-Censored-].

I have just moved to plusnet from Sky, I get activated on the 7th November. The lower download speeds (£23 pm) would have been fine for me but I wanted faster upload speeds, now I'm tied in to an 18 month contract on a higher price tariff (£30 pm) as I wanted 10mbps upload.

sub91
Dabbler

Cant wait for more upload

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@mmace

Try calling customers options - they might be able to sort it out - alternatively try sales as you haven't gone live yet

Grafter

My BB speed has been getting slower. I was over 20mbps and now down to 17 so take you super dupper look at how wonderfull we are adverts and shove them where the sun dont shine.

danielm2008uk

Any news on when this will be implemented?  I gather it will be done in stages across the country.  I've had a recent email notifying that the process is underway, but no change to my speeds yet.  Still got 30mb down and 1.5-2mb up.

JoeMuggs

Yes, would really appreciate more detail on when this is implemented: I got the email saying "from November" but no more than that. Our speeds are TERRIBLE as we're a long way from the exchange box - currently 8mb down and 0.5mb up, which is awful given that I have to send a lot of large audio and photo files for work.  It can take me 3 hours plus to upload just 200meg of audio as things stand.

fubarbow

i'm still at 37mb DL & 1.9 Screenshot-2017-11-10 My Broadband Speed – Easy to use speed checker.pngwas nice idea, ah well

psheraton
Grafter

Yes when ? is this going to happen I am still gettting 2mb up, now maybe you can fix the slow loading of webpages.... 

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Excellent news.PN CheesyThumbs_Up

I just did a speed test and I'm not there yet Embarrassed is this on a roll out plan? Roll_eyes and if so, any ideas when in November it might happen in my area?

Capture4.PNG

Stace1990
Interested

To those of you who have asked, yes this is on a rollout plan and will be implemented throughout November to the majority of our customers. 

Thanks!

Protech
Aspiring Pro

Much better nowSmiley, never really sure why P/N capped uploads to 2mb. Always thought it was a 40/10 wholesale product from BT/OR ?

6. Data rate: 6530 / 36266
7. Maximum data rate: 6529 / 36207
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team

@godbod I'll PM you regarding this shortly

Stace1990
Interested

@JoeMuggs - the rollout isn't a geographical one, we are simply working thorugh the existing base during November, so unfortunately we don't have any indication of when you will recieve this. Sorry about that.

In terms of the actual upload and download speed you will receive, if you are currently seeing speeds around a quarter of the 'up to' speeds that we provide at the moment then this will still be applicable after rollout.

Thanks!

LEEEVANS69
Grafter

Mines was around the 8/9 ul when it was installed,  then over the years it gone down to under 2. Be nice to get back what i did originally have lol

fubarbow

Finally got it thanks for free upgrade very much appreciated..long may it continue Screenshot-2017-11-16 My Broadband Speed – Easy to use speed checker.png

xyfer117
Dabbler

35.5 Download and now 9.5 Upload

Thanks Plusnet!Screenshot_20171122-094309.png

candell
Grafter

Still 1.4Mbps at DE4 postcode

Ouzlewell

Just received the email to say 'Good news from Plusnet - your fibre just got faster'. Unfortunately, it hasn't changed. Download speeds 17Mb - Upload 1Mb. I've restarted my mac and router but it's made no difference.

Once you receive the email to say that it's been upgraded, should you notice the difference straight away?

Fingers crossed I will see an upload speed increase tomorrow, although I somehow doubt it.

okisol
Just browsing

Great news and I'm sure welcomed by many users on this service. My upload speed has increased from 1.8 to 3Mbps in the past day or two so I'm guessing that's as good as it's going to get. Although I'm also having download speed problems too (currently 26Mbps with a Plusnet "guaranteed" speed of 32.4 and an estimated line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed of 35-47Mbps. Have just submitted a ticket on this so hoping both download and upload may increase after they've had a look/someone has come to check it out.

Anon
Pro

Had 1.9 before now got 3 so not a lot of change as far as I can see, sadly.

Stace1990
Interested

@Ouzlewell Thank you for your comment. Have you seen an inccrease in your upload speed? If not please let me know and we can look into this for you.

Many thanks!

Ouzlewell

Hi Stace,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately there has been no increase in my upload speed. If you could look into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anon
Pro

Surely this part of Ouziewell's comment meant he had seen the sort of small amount that I have seen

My upload speed has increased from 1.8 to 3Mbps in the past day or two

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

In the words of the Beatles song " I have to admit its getting better, better all the time" Cheesy

Latest speed test on WIFI!Latest speed test on WIFI!Before up grade, during and now! :-)Before up grade, during and now! 🙂

longslow
Dabbler
Same here my upload speed has been increased but not as much as I was expecting! I went from 1.89 (more or less the maximum) to 3.3 at best...more often 2.9 or 3
Anon
Pro

Looks very much like 3 .3 is going to be the new cap for many of us. Ah well should have known we are dealing with Pnet.

Anon
Pro

No denial, means that is what we get despite all the hype.

Meme_Lord
Interested

Best to check your estimates over at www.dslchecker.bt.com first to see what your line is actually capable of. If your line can only get between 4-5mbps upload then you will see a minimal increase from the 2mbps it was previously capped at, where as if the estimates are above that then you'll see the big jump like others have posted on here previously.

Hope that helps! Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Ouzlewell

Thanks for the link Meme_Lord.

It looks like the maximum upload speed that my line can support is 1.2 Mb, so can't blaim Plusnet for not seeing any increase in speed.

My Download speed is around 17Mb but pay for the up to 38Mb. I might as well downgrade to up to 17Mb when my contract is up for renewal.

I can't see BT upgrading their infrastructure anytime soon, so will just have to put up with the poor upload speed, or move house.

Anon
Pro

looked at mine on that link and lowest is 4  but only get 3.3. Strange how so many of us seem to get just that figure. Reckon it is the new cap.

longslow
Dabbler

This is the result for my line but I have no idea what it means https://screenshots.firefox.com/ukXcNnGLj9m6aoiW/www.dslchecker.bt.com

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Ouzlewell

Longslow, it looks like the maximum download speed that you can on achieve is 21.6Mbps and upload 2.9Mbps.

Thanks

candell
Grafter

Received my email last week, went from 1.4 to 8.92. Tested some photos from my phone to dropbox, in the past it had been pretty useless to upload (I used to use my mobile contract data to upload which was so much faster) but now so much better. Each photo uploaded in seconds so can confirm that I've been upgraded at DE4

longslow
Dabbler

Hello

So VDSL is the technical term for Fiber?

If I do some test with Speedtest.net I quite consistently get 23Mbps download and 3.3Mbps upload. I guess the BT test is more precise and should be better truste

Marian
Browser

I had a chat over the phone with PlusNet and got a different response. I got told that there is no such 38Mpbs upload speed and it's nonsense. I got the upload speeds confirmed and he assured me that this is not true.
I'm a daily streamer and sometimes I get connection streaming freeze. I'd be extremely happy if 38Mbps would be real, as we live in 2018.
So far I've never seen anyone posting that they've got more than 20Mbps upload, personal or business.

UK remains a dissapointment when it comes to internet and this article is a HOAX or there are a lot of missinformed PlusNet employees.

acrosland
Just browsing

Hi

Still getting upload speeds <2 Mbps even though I received an email telling me it would be 9Mbps.

Does this mean I should be getting money back as the service is now slower then what you tell me I should get?Huh

thanks

Tony

Gandalf
Community Gaffer

Hi Tony.

Our tests aren't finding the cause of your slow upload speeds.

I'd recommmend running through the troubleshooting steps here and if you don't see an increase, please report a fault to us here

If you need further assistance, please create a post here.

Thanks.

Anon
Pro

Not sure who Tony is, when you open up a 6 month old thread, but with the BT tester saying my line is set to 10 upload and I get 3 or there abouts, would you regard that as a problem or just my bad luck?

Anon
Pro

perhaps have to wait another 6 months for a reply.

Anon
Pro

This is a bit like Pnets emails, quick, quick but mostly slow. One way of ensuring thatunwanted comments do not appear. Just don't bother to review and post them, Should have known with Pnet.

Anon
Pro

Yep, slow as their upload speeds.

TomTheMason
Browser

Would plusnet increase upload speeds for the 76mbps package? The download speed is fine for me, the upload could be better.