cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubiquity - The Mashup just got better

I received a Tweet yesterday afternoon that led me to to a recent article over on the Mozilla Labs blog announcing the launch of a new Firefox Extension prototype called 'Ubiquity'. I installed and had a play around with Ubiquity last night and I have to admit it oozes potential. Even in it's current manifestation it comes across as being pretty special. What Ubiquity does is to bring together a wealth of other web resources and allows you to interact with them all from a single command line interface that you invoke by hitting the CTRL/Option and Space keys. What this lets you do is call on multiple applications without actually having to physically visit the website of the resource you're attempting to use. Take for example this blog article. Using Ubiquity (and without ever moving away from this page), I could shorten the URL of the web address, post it to my Twitter feed, email it to a colleague using Gmail, and submit the article to Digg. That's really only the tip of the iceberg though. Whilst it's still in early stages of development, you can see the sort of thing the developers are striving to achieve by taking a look at the screengrab below from the Mozilla blog: The future of Ubiquity For those who are squinting to read it, you can see the user has typed into Ubiquity the following text: "Book a flight to Chicago next Monday to Thursday, no red-eyes, the cheapest. Then email my Chicago friends the itinerary, and add it to my calendar" Can you imagine an application that would go away and do all of that for you without you even having to leave this web page?! It's only when you start to think about things like this that you begin to appreciate the scope of the project. If you fancy giving it a whirl (which I'd strongly recommend), then a link to install the extension can be found in Mozilla's blog article (there's also an interesting video show casing some of the applications current features). There's a tutorial to get you started here and you can find a list of the default commands here (chrome://ubiquity/content/cmdlist.html if the hyperlink doesn't work - you'll probably need to have the extension installed first though). Don't forget, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own commands or subscribing to those that have been created by others. . Bob Pullen.

0 Thanks
8 Comments
8 Comments
Not applicable
I installed it on my laptop yesterday morning and used it for a couple of hours. Then when I switched to my desktop pc I found myself repeatedly trying to use it but it wasn't there... I'd developed a habit within about 3 hours! Very cool.
Dan
Grafter
i can't wait to start testing it - once i figure out how to stop it from crashing my isntallation of firefox.
Stubbs
Ubiquity is awesome, I've been using Quicksilver on my Mac for ages, and the Windows equivalent, Launchy too. I saw Enso this morning though, which does what Ubiquity does, but for any app you want ... http://humanized.com/enso/ ... Watch the video for a demo ...
Dan
Grafter
finally found the time to find out how to remove a plugin without starting firefox. now i've removed it, firefox works again. will retry the installation again and try on my home pc and see how it goes. really want to play with this but if it kills my install all the time then i'll have to give it a miss. anyone else had problems with a windows vista/firefox 3 installation of ubiquity?
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Not had any problems Dan although Weave crashed my install of Firefox. To remove plugins all you need to do is boot into Firefox Safe Mode from the Program Menu AFAIK.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter
The link above to get the default commands doesn't seem to work! This one however does! chrome://ubiquity/content/cmdlist.html
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@drunkenmonkey, Wordpress doesn't seem to like the chrome:// protocol prefix. I've edited the post to add the link in text too.
Dan
Grafter
@bob - i just remove the ubiquity directory 🙂 anyway, managed to reinstall it without it crashing firefox so have had a play now. it's cool! just need to find some time to start developing commands!